View Full Version : Uhm, What?

Monstor
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
YouTube- Rock Band 3 Q&A W/ John Drake

No, "super bundle" WTF Harmonix.

TwistedFate
09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
No, "super bundle" WTF Harmonix.

Sorry, this isn't news. It's been know for quite a while that there was no bundle coming. Because of the variety of instruments out there now, HMX can't decide for you what instruments you want, so you have to buy them separately.

Monstor
09-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Thats fucking stupid. They make pro-mode and all this cool new shit where you have to buy each individual instrument so HMX can make more money.

OniRyo
09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
What is so stupid about that? if you want the game and whichever instrument or instruments you wants just buy them then, no need to have it in 1 bundle :E

TwistedFate
09-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Thats fucking stupid. They make pro-mode and all this cool new shit where you have to buy each individual instrument so HMX can make more money.

HMX doesn't make anything extra off of you buying the separately or together. The instruments are made and sold by MadCatz and Squier. Those companies pay a licensing fee to use the Rock Band logo and be official, and probably a small fixed amount off each sale. Whether you get it in a bundle or separate is the same to HMX.

There are just too many variables now in the instruments to make a bundle practical. Do they include drums or just cymbals? Include drums and you piss off folks that have them and only want cymbals. Just cymbals and people that need drums are annoyed. And what about those of us that want the MIDI box instead of drums? Squier or Mustang? Squier isn't available at launch so people aren't likely to wait until it's available to get the game so that bundle is impractical. Include the Mustang and people that want the Squier won't buy it since it will be cheaper to buy individual instead of getting a Mustang they won't use.

Just the drums themselves break the market into 3 segments: those needing full drums, those just needing cymbals, and those needing MIDI. The guitars break each of those segments into 2 segments, so with 2 instruments you have reduced the purchasing potential of a bundle to 1/6 what it was when there weren't pro and non-pro modes.

It's not money, it's just impracticable to make a bundle even if you just focus on the Pro mode instruments. Throw in the the other instruments and it gets even worse.

SebastianSB
09-06-2010, 09:34 PM
TF has explained it pretty well, but on top of that there's also the problem that not all peripherals are by Madcatz (Fender) so that makes any sort of bundle even less possible.

wickedclowns95
11-18-2010, 04:17 AM
That guy is on something...

D4B0MB1N4T10N
11-18-2010, 08:01 AM
HMX doesn't make anything extra off of you buying the separately or together. The instruments are made and sold by MadCatz and Squier. Those companies pay a licensing fee to use the Rock Band logo and be official, and probably a small fixed amount off each sale. Whether you get it in a bundle or separate is the same to HMX.

There are just too many variables now in the instruments to make a bundle practical. Do they include drums or just cymbals? Include drums and you piss off folks that have them and only want cymbals. Just cymbals and people that need drums are annoyed. And what about those of us that want the MIDI box instead of drums? Squier or Mustang? Squier isn't available at launch so people aren't likely to wait until it's available to get the game so that bundle is impractical. Include the Mustang and people that want the Squier won't buy it since it will be cheaper to buy individual instead of getting a Mustang they won't use.

Just the drums themselves break the market into 3 segments: those needing full drums, those just needing cymbals, and those needing MIDI. The guitars break each of those segments into 2 segments, so with 2 instruments you have reduced the purchasing potential of a bundle to 1/6 what it was when there weren't pro and non-pro modes.

It's not money, it's just impracticable to make a bundle even if you just focus on the Pro mode instruments. Throw in the the other instruments and it gets even worse.

thats got me thinking, if i wasnt tired and ready for bed, i try to figure it out, but how many possible "bundle combinations" are there?

and i would start as lows as an instrument/game bundle, and obviously as high as a 7 instrument bundle; 3 mics, 2 guitars, drums, keys.

TwistedFate
11-18-2010, 12:25 PM
thats got me thinking, if i wasnt tired and ready for bed, i try to figure it out, but how many possible "bundle combinations" are there?

I'm not going to do every permutation, but here goes a quick count.
- Standard instruments used: Keys, guitar, drums (no cymbals), Microphone, and Harmonies (3 mics).
- Pro Instruments used:Keys, Mustang, Squier, Drums (cymbals), Microphone, and Harmonies (3 Mics)
- MIDI box was not factored in to any bundle (except to be used with Squier)
- Only one guitar was ever included in any bundle
- Ion kits were not factored in (I forgot to include them and don't feel like going back and redoing it)

Standard instruments only:
5 single instrument bundles
9 two instrument bundles
6 three instrument bundles
2 full band bundles

Pro instruments only:
3 single instrument bundles
13 two instrument bundles
10 three instrument bundles
4 Full band bundles

The Nerevarine
11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Spend millions manufacturing a bundle that only 5 people will buy and cause millions of people to complain...

or...

Sell the instruments separately, save money, and make millions happy while 5 people complain.

Decisions, decisions.
:drunk