PDA

View Full Version : dissapointed with this game (Spoilers)

p00pyfacemcgee
09-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Am I the only one. The majority of people seem to love it but I found it pretty mediocre.

The story had all this potential and build up but most of it was a nonsensical mess with plot lines thrown in and not followed up on just for the sake of making the game longer.

What was the point of nightengale, why was he on Wakes case like he was, what was his story, he just shows up for awhile to create drama and is snatched out of the story, he had no connection to the main storyline at all.

The same thing with the clinic and the doctor (forget his name) looking for creative people b/c there creativity came true in the town. His motives were never explained, or the kidnappers, also filler to add length to the game other than this was the place you talk to the brothers who point you to the next mission. WHY does creativity come true in the town?

Then there is the overall plot line with the darkness. Your never told what it is, or what it really wants, besides to get stronger. Stronger to do what, take over the world, be able to bench press more..again never explained.

Why does it need people to write, and how is all the stuff it makes Alan write make the darkness stronger, why not just make him type "The darkness got stronger" The End.

How is making him write stuff about Barry getting scared, or the pointless kidnapper and nightingale plot lines help it. It just gives an excuse to write pages for us to read by saying the darkness made him do it.

Then towards the end theres the lady of the light with her bright room, theres no explanation why shes special and been protecting zanes box, or what her real connection to zane even is. Theres not even much info about Zane ever revealed, what the heck is the diving suit for.

Then the ending makes no sense at all. Has he been typing the whole time, is he dreaming. Did wake die trying to save alice and all that
happened to him was just him in purgatory.

Why did they show like several days pass before alice climbed out of the water. Who was the guy in the window at the end. What was the ocean comment about. I think the ending was intentionally convoluted to make up for a poorly written story.

The story had so much potential, i kept waiting for this alan to find out hes a character in a book, in a mental instituiton, he was thomas zane, or some crazy revelation that would totaly warp our perspective of the whole world we were in. But nothing..

And lastly, damn all the collectibles all time wasters except the pages.

jamie1000013
09-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Am I the only one. The majority of people seem to love it but I found it pretty mediocre.

The story had all this potential and build up but most of it was a nonsensical mess with plot lines thrown in and not followed up on just for the sake of making the game longer.

What was the point of nightengale, why was he on Wakes case like he was, what was his story, he just shows up for awhile to create drama and is snatched out of the story, he had no connection to the main storyline at all.

The same thing with the clinic and the doctor (forget his name) looking for creative people b/c there creativity came true in the town. His motives were never explained, or the kidnappers, also filler to add length to the game other than this was the place you talk to the brothers who point you to the next mission. WHY does creativity come true in the town?

Then there is the overall plot line with the darkness. Your never told what it is, or what it really wants, besides to get stronger. Stronger to do what, take over the world, be able to bench press more..again never explained.

Why does it need people to write, and how is all the stuff it makes Alan write make the darkness stronger, why not just make him type "The darkness got stronger" The End.

How is making him write stuff about Barry getting scared, or the pointless kidnapper and nightingale plot lines help it. It just gives an excuse to write pages for us to read by saying the darkness made him do it.

Then towards the end theres the lady of the light with her bright room, theres no explanation why shes special and been protecting zanes box, or what her real connection to zane even is. Theres not even much info about Zane ever revealed, what the heck is the diving suit for.

Then the ending makes no sense at all. Has he been typing the whole time, is he dreaming. Did wake die trying to save alice and all that

Why did they show like several days pass before alice climbed out of the water. Who was the guy in the window at the end. What was the ocean comment about. I think the ending was intentionally convoluted to make up for a poorly written story.

The story had so much potential, i kept waiting for this alan to find out hes a character in a book, in a mental instituiton, he was thomas zane, or some crazy revelation that would totaly warp our perspective of the whole world we were in. But nothing..

Nightingale was mad because he didn't get a promotion I heard in the conversation. Also the doctor was there to add questions like is Alan insane? is this all a dream? etc.

I thought she was Zane's kind of lover like the one that really liked Alan the waitress. Both of the writers had similar stories both lost their wives both had fans that were obsessed with them etc.

Plus the diving suit was because he loved diving thats why they called it divers isle after him.

The reason that the darkness wanted Alan Wake to write is because what he wrote comes true and to make a story he has to balance it out with good and evil.

The ending for me was that Alan rewrote his story and added that his wife was safe but he then had to find her so that it was balanced. Because Zane made his story unbalanced probably giving him a really perfect ending and it backfired on him. That's why I think Alan made it so his wife comes back but he has to look for her so it's not unbalanced.

That's just my interpretation though. I also don't know who the person was in the window.

Hopefully this has answered something lol. This is just my opinion and interpretation of the game though I may be way off. Also the DLC and next game (if there is one) might answer some questions.

asdfen
09-11-2010, 02:54 PM
the only thing that I found really outstanding in this game are the shadows

gameplay -awful.
story mediocre

I also dislike collectibles.

p00pyfacemcgee
09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
the only thing that I found really outstanding in this games are the shadows

gameplay -awful.
story mediocre

Yeh i forgot to bring up the gameplay in my original post. Pretty average and repetive and Alan needs to hit the treadmill and get that cardio up.

jamie1000013
09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeh i forgot to bring up the gameplay in my original post. Pretty average and repetive and Alan needs to hit the treadmill and get that cardio up.

It's meant to make it more realistic and show that he is only human. I agree he should be able to sprint a bit longer lol. It would be pretty cool if, the further you get in the game the further he can sprint without getting exhausted.

Teppelin
09-11-2010, 09:59 PM

From what I gathered in the story, Alan mentions that he had to write in such a fashion that makes the story believable. If he wrote about getting super powers and other nonsense, it wouldn't work. I think the line he says in the game was something like, you had to wonder if he was going to survive at every page. I think he wrote in all of the extra characters to keep the story a story. Who knows though.

For one, I don't think they really needed to explain what the darkness was after. I just wanted to mention that I think the darkness feeds on the creativity of artists and not just writers. It seems to me like the Anderson brothers had a run in with the darkness and maybe even their songs were used.

As I mentioned above, he states that he needed to make the story believable. I dunno. The more in line with real life it is, the more legit the outcome?

Lady of the light was a chick who was into Zane and when Zane told her to guard something with her life, she was infatuated enough with him to do it. I think she also sees the inherent danger in letting the darkness go free.

What I originally thought about the ending was this: He mentions Zane tried to write a perfect ending, but apparently, it doesn't go down like that. There needs to be a balance.

What I thought Alan was doing with the ending was saving Alice, and then sealing away the darkness. It's not a lake, it's an ocean. Maybe thus sending the darkness to the ocean as opposed to sitting at the bottom of a lake that would be more easily accessible by a future artist.

I must agree that I think all collectibles in any game are lame. Also, I don't know if I would have been happier with Alan in a "twist" ending. I think if he had been dreaming or it was all fake, it would have made the whole game pointless. The "it's all in your head" ending is just one of the worst ways to end anything. Effectively, you're saying that everything you've done in the last however many hours was inconsequential because you may have just woken up at any time.

In no way do I think Alan Wake was a perfect game, but I enjoyed it enough to get the 1250. I hope the next DLC answers more questions.

Jellybean468
09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
the only thing that I found really outstanding in this games are the shadows

gameplay -awful.
story mediocre

Seriously, why the hell did you get the game!? :p

I loved it, I don't mind collectibles and thought overall it was pretty darn fantastic. Episode 1 was fine, 2 and 3 were a bit slouchy, but 4, 5 and 6 were just awesome.

asdfen
09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I got it due to great reviews and since I am great fan of other Remedy games - both of Max Payne.

My experience was mediocrity and dsiappointment.

ilold
09-12-2010, 02:54 PM
go read the alan wake files

Miss Allen86
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
This game is freaking amazing!!! Although I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. I liked it cause to me it felt like an old school Silent Hill or original Resident Evil. If there was one thing I wish they added more of, it would be more puzzles, mind blowing what the fu*k moments, and to be scarier. Oh and more guns....you can never have too many guns. ^_^

jamie1000013
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Also maybe the "It's not a lake it's an ocean" comment meant he had to spread the darkness in order to get his wife back to keep the balance. Now the darkness is in the ocean and can reach more people. I don't know I may be well off lol.

goodall
10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
good game, collectibles are a piss take.

bbrandy
10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
i thought it was a great game

Yellow_Dragon
10-24-2010, 12:37 AM
I was disappointed with this game as well, I dont mind a few collectibles but over 200!!? Lol

Gameplay is indeed mediocre. Should of added a melee option for Alan lol so when you burn the darkness away but dont have any bullets you can smash them in the face with a fist or the gun! :D Also Alan is the most unfit bastard ever!

In addition, dodgy camera angles so you see the front but then get hacked with an axe by some dude from behind who you never see on the screen until he hits you.

I've nearly finished my nightmare play through for the 1000 points but after that I'm done. Not going to torture myself with the DLC lol :p

GMarauder
11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
My interpretation of the whole "It's not a lake, It's an ocean" line was that everything that had happened was just a small taste of how far the darkness stretched. I dunno. I really enjoyed the game though.

XperimntNterror
11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
i have to say that i cannot stand this game's dodge mechanic... at all. hitting LB and pressing the left analog stick in the desired direction to dodge in, just isn't very responsive and why they thought this was a good control scheme is beyond me. would've been better if they had made RB the option to restore batteries to your flashlight and then use Y plus the analog stick for dodging attacks; as it is, it's a bit cumbersome and i get whacked continually because of it. the story, graphics, music, mood are all awesome, but the combat mechanics just seem off. the only dialogue i can think of that was just kind of stupid was at the beginning after the light gives you the revolver and says, ok, i'll let you have your dream back now. lame.

AllFallD0wn
11-11-2010, 03:24 PM
There are a few things I can say to you:

a) Play the 2 DLC's - a LOT is explained in these.
b) If you got the Limited edition - READ the Alan Wake Files. A few things are answered in there.

A lot is left to your own imagination, which I like. I hope there will be an Alan Wake 2 so that we can have an end to this, as it has easily been my favourite game of the year!

Lord Nikecon
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
P00py, Remedy said it's more likely that they'd make a trilogy. That's why not everything is answered in the first. If you answer everything in the first, then it's like alright... I guess I don't need to play the 2nd since I already know everything. And all they could do is change the situation, with barely any more information added since I understand the story as a whole. (also there's books that came out before this game. I don't know what they're called though) If you go the collectors there's a book that came with it and it answers a few different little things. But story wise, you can't answer everything. Game play wise, this game was good. I do agree, it was lacking something (whether it's game play or story) but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to play through again on the hardest difficulty and mop up some other achievements.

Jellybean468
11-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Haters gonna hate.