PDA

View Full Version : the way video games were meant to be...

RYANiZL3XD
09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
this whole idea is absurd. motion control. microsoft, sony, and nintendo all claim this is the future of gaming. well im going to be honest, im not to psyched to move on to the future if this is the case. gaming was meant to be done with a controller and standing still. im not too thrilled for kinect, sony move and i still dont own a wii. im not saying this idea isnt awesome or cool and whatnot. im simply saying id prefer if it isnt the future. am i wrong for not accepting change or are there others who stand behind these ideas????

Minty
09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Well if there was no development in games, we'd still be playing with cursor keys using cassette tapes. Waiting for 10 minutes of loading, press a button, wait another 10 minutes.

Whether you like it or not, progression is a good thing.

RYANiZL3XD
09-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Well if there was no development in games, we'd still be playing with cursor keys using cassette tapes. Waiting for 10 minutes of loading, press a button, wait another 10 minutes.

cant argue with that logic. :p

kRoNiCxKC
09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I completely agree with you. Shooters are my thing and I could never see my self playing cod or halo with kinect. Especially all the running, crouching, jumping while making your hands look like your holding a gun. Screw that. Controllers should always be the way to play games

Randver
09-13-2010, 03:04 PM

I don't think this is progression, it's simply adding a new genre to video games.

If this is progress then the video game industry is telling us they want us to play our games in a new way. When I was a youngster in the early 70's I had a Sears Pong console, today I have a 360 and PS3, In almost 40 years the one thing that hasn't changed is that I still sit in front of a TV with a controller in my hand.

I game to relax not to get a workout. When I can strap a contraption to my head and "think" my movements...now that's progress. No more sore fingers and hands :woop:

NO SUPER POWERS
09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I completely agree with you. Shooters are my thing and I could never see my self playing cod or halo with kinect. Especially all the running, crouching, jumping while making your hands look like your holding a gun. Screw that. Controllers should always be the way to play games

How do you know you could never see yourself playing these games like this if you have never played your games like this.

Controllers should only be the way to play games in your view because its the only way you have played. Have you never been in a VR machine and played a game.

Controller were invented to play games because the technollogy wasn't there at the time to mimic movements for game play,a controller simulates movements which is still actually movement.

Kinect is controller free gaming, it not once said its accessory free gaming.

so in the next halo. you could have a gun in your hand to shoot, turn and move forward and backward simply by holding the gun down to move forward like u do in most games anyway,when you bring the gun up to shoot the guy on your screen then bang, gun down to move on.

Thats so much better than playing on a controller, plus you got your feedback and actual involvement in the game, you actually shot that guy not moved a cursor with a analogue stick.

But seriously nobody know's what the future of kinect brings yet, it could be just how i said it could be something different, but i still remember playing pong on a tisty knob with 7 white pixels on screen, know i can play a hd/3d game with almost reallife graphics on a controller, i can't wait for kinect

THE130173
09-18-2010, 03:22 PM
i hear ya bro i'm fat too

kadafi82
09-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Early Christmas this year ;)

ZunksJunk
09-21-2010, 06:21 PM
A friend of mine is in the Kinect beta, and brought it over to my pad. Im still iffy about it. i played the racing game and after like one round of the trick course i was pooped, you have to lean back when you go up a ramp and to each of the sides to spin your car that way. and to beat a lvl you need oodles of points, and to do that means i have to flail my body constantly doing a "Matrix Move" as me and my friends called it. So after one match i had to sit out for a few min to stop my back from hurting.

lol i mean i have no doubt this will get people in shape. I hope they come out with some really well adapted non kiddy games. Like a game that chooses your gun based on how you hold your hands and you would actually have to use your trigger finger to fire. i think that would be a nifty idear. but ya, we will just have to see what the future holds for this.

InflamedPigeon
09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I wasnt convinced about the who controller free gaming thing i must admit but having now had a go with kinect on a good few of the games im convinced its a good thing... the good thing for controller gamers is that microsoft are now wanting to move into casual games market for everyone they want to branch into the other side of the market, they dont want to leave the hardcore sitting there with no new games, we will still have plenty of sit on your arse games...

the stuff you can do with kinect outside of gaming is very clever, voice and face recognition works very well... controling movies with your voice.

optional kinect use for main stream games, some games being badged as 'better with kinect'.
Whos to say next year we could have a shooter that plays with a controller as normal but when you want to throw a grenade you have to drop one hand from your pad and throw one... alot of clever new ideas will come from this and i think give it a year or so and it will be even better.

With games moving into the movement /active style of things will do them alot of good as well and be good for the industry. Make gaming more accepted by some who just see it all the cause for the vast amount of over weight kids and adults these days along with television.

seahawker
10-06-2010, 06:41 AM
It looks interesting to me and how gaming is evolving. Don't get me wrong, I love my controller, but having voice and hands free motion control is very cool.

Mr Wafu
10-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Honestly, have you seen Back to the Future part 2? When Marty is in the future diner and the kids are like "pfft you have to use your HANDS?". That's going to be gamers of the future, looking back and lolling at us for getting RSI over trying to get leet headshots and teabagging people. It's only baby steps now, but some day the technology will advance and eventually move on and controllers will be ancient relics, the way old joysticks and slider things from the 70s are.

Chuppernicus
10-19-2010, 03:07 AM
It looks interesting to me and how gaming is evolving. Don't get me wrong, I love my controller, but having voice and hands free motion control is very cool.

Yes! Imagine playing a game and a friend gets online and you want to invite him or her to your game/party. Just say invite gamerX to a party chat! Or your in a game online and someone invites you to a party, just say except party invite. I love the possibilities

Too many gamers on this site have such a limited imagination. Try the thing out first or not I could care less.

Reload!
Tell your squad were to breach a door.
Call an audible at the line with your voice.

HatTrick190
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes! Imagine playing a game and a friend gets online and you want to invite him or her to your game/party. Just say invite gamerX to a party chat! Or your in a game online and someone invites you to a party, just say except party invite. I love the possibilities

Too many gamers on this site have such a limited imagination. Try the thing out first or not I could care less.

Reload!
Tell your squad were to breach a door.
Call an audible at the line with your voice.

I 100% agree with you. This has opened the doors to so many possibilities.

hazemonster
11-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm actually quite excited to try kinect, and I think it's a great idea as an ADD ON only.As far as the future of gaming, I sincerely hope not. I love standard remote based gaming and have since I got my NES in 1988. Great idea but please don't take the remote out of my hand, and the couch from under my lazy ass!

osakamitsu
11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
actually to all of you freaking out about the non controller thing... i was too until I read an interview with its creator. The creator said that kinect has the ability to scan random objects and use them as controller. Just think... call of duty could come out and have a mock gun... then gun could scan that as the controller. They said no games at launch use the technology (except 1 I think...but cant remember which one) but many will down the line.

this isnt the original link I read but here is one I quickly found on google.

http://123kinect.com/kinect-object-scanning/

In fact they also said that connect will work along with controllers. The guy above with the breach door comment is totally spot on... imagine playing call of duty with a controller and using kinects voice function to tell your squad to breach the door. Kinect is not all about motion. Its about enhancement. Motion is just along for the ride.

Spectre XVI
11-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Its not all about playing games. Wouldn't be cool if you could interact with characters? Idc about racing or fitness (by the way I am a graduate of P90X just saying). Yeah its cool you can imagine a wheel in your hands and the car drives, but what about interacting with AI? Telling them what to do. I think we are making big progress here, we are on way where where we going to do fitness and shooting each other in the face at home, but in the different universe.

Bobo
11-05-2010, 06:40 PM
yeah i don't think anyone is talking about eliminating controllers completely... just supplementing the game play we've all gotten used to by introducing some new avenues to explore... both as gamers and as game developers

i imagine some people were pissed when controllers started showing up with more than 2 or 3 buttons... " i play games to relax, not memorize what all of the buttons do in different situations"

and don't forget about all of the crazy accessories nintendo had in the 80's... power glove, u-force, that rocket launcher thing... granted the tech was pretty horrible but it didn't stop regular games and regular controllers from being made

mccloskey14
11-06-2010, 01:37 AM
I do agree in that I think I will always prefer a physical controller unless we get something which is just as accurate as identifying our bodies. But I think Kinect will have something unique to give to gamers, like fitness and God knows what else people may come up with but then again I will always want to use a controller/mouse and keyboard for shooters. Let’s just hope Kinect doesn't give us too much problems...though from 3rd person Kinect is awesome watching someone flailing around, I'm just waiting on the fails to go up on YouTube :)

Chuppernicus
11-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Sounds like you are a shooter fan, not really a gamer. Maybe a game like kinect adventures isn't for you, but have you tried it yet? Then how do you know?

I think many "gamers" are shooter fans these days and that's fine. But, some of us are true gamers and we like many types of fun games. I dont limit myself to just one type of game or input type. I'll try it all. You never know where a fun game may be hiding if you dont try it. Too each their own I guess. I'm having a blast with this game. I even get my wife to play.

I think a hybrid of controller and kinect control would be great as I said in my previous post. I think a lot of the negativity comes from a lack of imagination as to the possibilities of kinect. This is so much more than an advanced Wii clone. Good times

Ghettoshyguy
11-07-2010, 10:11 PM
well before today i always thought kinect looked boring and pointless. but today while playing halo reach my mom handed me the kinect sensor. at first i wasnt very thrilled at all! but i tried it and its really really fun if you try it. but i do have to say i prefer my controller but it was a fun refreshment (:

Metzir
11-08-2010, 02:26 AM

I do all that 6 months a year in real life with a real gun =D

ChemicalxRachel
11-08-2010, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't say Kinect is the 'future of gaming'...but its very dag-gone-close! I love the idea that you can use your hands as the controller, and I would also love it if they come out with some sort of shooter game that uses the voice technology of kinect, it just sounds so much fun.

I've been having fun with Kinect Adventures and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. My mom and myself are amazed at the advanced piece of technology it is, and how amazing it works.

Now, don't get me wrong, I was a huge skeptic when I heard about it. I thought "Motion Gaming? Pshhh, wii rip-off." Boy, was I wrong. Its not a wii rip-off because you don't use a controller. Its more for casual gamers and the occasional hard-core gamer. I'd like to think myself a hard-core gamer though =).

While I still enjoy playing battlefield, Left 4 Dead, Fable, ext with my controller, I just think about the possibilities that could be had if kinect were added to any of these games! I'm excited about the future of kinect.

Oh. Wait. You might actually have to stand up though. My bad.