PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic vs. Electric

RexDarr
09-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Recently my father and I had a conversation about which version of Layla (by Eric Claption) was better. He enjoyed the electrical version while I leaned more to the acoustic version because it sounds like a blues jam in a poetry slam contest.
I'm going to X360A to see if gamers prefer acoustic or electric songs (not Layla, but any song in general) and why.

Starstrukk X360A
09-12-2010, 12:04 AM
I like both.
Most songs sound good as electric, but some songs just shouldn't be done acoustically.

iBlessing 09
09-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Electric seems to work for most songs but acoustic works less in general.

Coadster1
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Both, depends who's playing and/or what song it is. Some songs just sound better acoustic than electric, and vise versa.

Burning Karma
09-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Both. Some songs don't work acoustically, though.

The Brownie Bandit
09-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Electric. There are some good acoustic guitar riffs, but not a lot. Plus there are so many things you can do with an electric.

KeepEmRolling
09-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Depends on the song. Your example of Layla is a good one, and while I prefer the electric version, the acoustic version is great as well. Due to the arrangement used, the acoustic version almost comes off as a different song...it's still Layla but instead of a rock song, it does feel alot more blues oriented.

Light My Fire by the Doors is another example. Jose Feliciano's cover of that song is great, but I much prefer the sound of the original.

Listen to the opening of Spanish Caravan by the Doors....that wouldn't be near as good on an electric guitar. Conversely, I wouldn't want to listen to an acoustic version of Nottingham Lace by Buckethead.

RexDarr
09-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Depends on the song. Your example of Layla is a good one, and while I prefer the electric version, the acoustic version is great as well. Due to the arrangement used, the acoustic version almost comes off as a different song...it's still Layla but instead of a rock song, it does feel alot more blues oriented.

Light My Fire by the Doors is another example. Jose Feliciano's cover of that song is great, but I much prefer the sound of the original.

Listen to the opening of Spanish Caravan by the Doors....that wouldn't be near as good on an electric guitar. Conversely, I wouldn't want to listen to an acoustic version of Nottingham Lace by Buckethead.

Alice in Chains is one band where I actually prefer their acoustic stuff. Their Unplugged album is my personal favourite. Five Finger Death Punch's acoustic stuff is also pretty good. It isn't as great as the fist-pumping full-metal-riff originals but its something that you can say sounds amazing both electric and acoustic.
Nirvana is a band where I have to say that their Unplugged album dissapointed me. There were only 3 songs that I liked off of that album (Plateau, Dumb, Lake of Fire) the rest I thought sounded dry.

Eric Claption seems very bluesy, espically when he played with Cream. Thatpsychedelic era contained plenty of amazing blues/rock bands: Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, just to name a few.

KeepEmRolling
09-12-2010, 05:49 AM
I really liked watching Unplugged when it was on. A lot of artists surprised me with the acoustic versions of their songs.

Cream was fantastic...one of my favorite bands. If you haven't, you should listen to Blind Faith's album. Also, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were joined by guitarist Gary Moore in the band BBM in the mid 90s. The name of the album is Around the Next Dream, and it sounds alot like Cream on some of the songs.

Some other bands you may want to give a listen to from the Cream era, if you haven't already are Cactus, Blodwyn Pig and Humble Pie.

McGoogles
09-12-2010, 06:08 AM
I prefer electric over acoustic any day; only because I'm a big fan of metal.

But when it comes to softer music, I think acoustic is more suitable for the job.

Santaslave
09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I prefer the acoustic version of Layla, it's more relaxing. It depends on the band and song when it comes to acoustic versions. I really like Megadeth's acoustic performance of A Toute Le Monde:

YouTube - Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde (unplugged)

Joewl45
09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I think both can work, for example No One Knows unplugged sounds just as good as when it's electric:
YouTube - Queens Of The Stone Age - No one know, Acoustic

Neverender
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
In general, electric, but just because of the music I like. There are still plenty of good acoustic songs, though.

Apophis PL
09-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Only Acoustic

Fresherty
09-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Acoustic. The Unplugged concert is The Top Clapton's work ever btw...

vfall
09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I said both, only because it depends on the mood I'm in. With your example, I would prefer the electric version of Layla anytime, but if I'm just chilling/relaxing I would prefer the acoustic version.

One band I believe to have great acoustic versions of their songs is Rise Against. Check them out some time.

BedCommando
09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Electric, no contest. Acoustics are too soft for me. When learning guitar, I refused to use an acoustic.

Santaslave
09-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Electric, no contest. Acoustics are too soft for me. When learning guitar, I refused to use an acoustic.

When was that, last thursday?

Canahedo
09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I say both because I'm not one of those people who say it has to be electric or else it's crap, however in order to make a good acoustic song, it takes more work and skill, and so most acoustic songs nowadays suck. With electric, the guitar tipically takes the foreground, and everything else plays rhythm (unfortunatly). Or at least background, rarely if ever coming to the "front" where you really notice it. With acoustic, you don't have that dominating guitar sound, and so bass need to be written and played better, the drums have to be changed to accent the guitar and yet not drown it out, and usually it's slower too. I'm not saying you can't have a good acoustic song, I'm just saying people nowadays don't know how to write music. Because acoustic is just as good as electric when done correctly, i chose both.

Canahedo
09-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Just like how electric can be hard or soft sounding (Metal vs. Blues) acoustic can too. Trust me, work an acoustic into a Heavy Metal song, it sounds really good if you do it right.

StoLavorando
09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
The only song I've ever heard that sounds better acoustic and in this particular
performance; is the definitive version I listen to.
Predictable choice, but still amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGgbT_VasI

BedCommando
09-26-2010, 03:41 PM
When was that, last thursday?
Try five years ago.
Just like how electric can be hard or soft sounding (Metal vs. Blues) acoustic can too. Trust me, work an acoustic into a Heavy Metal song, it sounds really good if you do it right.
I just don't like acoustics. Don't like the feel of them, don't like the sound. Whenever I hear an acoustic, the first thought shooting through my mind is usually "Wonder how much better it would sound if it was electric".