PDA

View Full Version : Fog survival level

T0b3
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
How is this even possible to beat? I'm not even finished with building enough sunflower units and the zombies already reached all of my lawn mowers.. I spam those free mushrooms like hell and still they always break through since there are just so many of them. Plus: There are swimming zombies on the very first wave..

Is there a video or something? And is there a Hard stage with fog? If yes, I might stop playing because it's just SO stupid..

halomastercap
09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
How is this even possible to beat? I'm not even finished with building enough sunflower units and the zombies already reached all of my lawn mowers.. I spam those free mushrooms like hell and still they always break through since there are just so many of them. Plus: There are swimming zombies on the very first wave..

Is there a video or something? And is there a Hard stage with fog? If yes, I might stop playing because it's just SO stupid..Cattails.

>.>

T0b3
09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Are those really that effective? How many should I plant.. ? Never used them before..

halomastercap
09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Are those really that effective? How many should I plant.. ? Never used them before..They're freaking awesome.

My strategy for early fog games:

1. Use the rake. Purchase it from the store for $200 makes the first zombie dead. Also need to purchase the cattails from the store.
2. Use potato mines and squash to kill the first few zombies while spending most of your money on sunflowers. For potato mines it helps to have the free mushrooms to place in front of zombie to slow him down to let your mine arm itself.
3. Use a wallnut to block any stray zombie who gets close too your sunflowers. Let him chew until you have a new squash or you have a cattail up. He won't kill it very fast on his own.
4. When you can place a lily pad then turn it into a cattail.

I usually have maybe 8 sunflowers up before I require my first cattail. Can vary of course, depending on luck with where, when, and which zombies come out first, but basically once you get your first one you're pretty safe.

Since the fog levels, even on hard, only last 10 flags, I just pump out like 10 of those cattails and it does work. Probably definitely more efficient or safer strategies...but I like cattails. <3

T0b3
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Hm.. might try that..
Just died at the beginning of wave 3 because I ran out of sun.. why the hell didn't they compensate for the lack of randomly spawning sun like in the daylight levels?

*sigh* .. I'll try what you posted (Thanks for that) and when that doesn't work, I'll accept the 175/200.. even though that'd be sappy since I play this game purely for the achievements..

Murgatroyd7
09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I promise it's not as hard as you're making it. You just have to use the right strategy. First of all, make sure you have upgraded your slots at least twice and don't forget to buy the rake beforehand (a few plant upgrades would also help). When starting out, I like to equip the sunflower, sunshroom, lilypad, tangle kelp, the two free mushrooms, repeater, and potato mine. If you have additional slots, the squash and snow pea are both useful.

What I then do is plant sunshrooms in the second column from the left (go across the water too). When available, I dispatch the free mushrooms wherever they are needed, and if necessary, I will also plant a potato mine or tangle kelp for any zombies that break through my defense. One thing that is very useful is sacrificing the free mushrooms. If a zombie is getting too close, place a free mushroom on his space and he will stop momentarily while he eats. This helps a lot when fending off the conehead zombies.

Once enough sunshrooms have been planted (at least halfway), I start planting sunflowers behind them in the far left (over water as well). As long as you keep an eye on the zombies, you should have the first two rows filled up well before the first wave starts.

After all of the sunflowers and sunshrooms are planted (or at least almost), start working on a column of repeaters in front of the sunshrooms. I suggest placing them over the water because the water mushrooms and tangle kelp both have slow regeneration rates. If things get a little hairy, the squash can be quite helpful. If there is time, I then place a column of snow peas in front of the repeaters (this is why it's good to have extra slots).

By the time the first flag is over, I usually have the majority of my defense deployed. At this point, I usually don't need the repeaters or snow peas anymore. Hopefully it will be the same for you, but if not, then this is where extra slots will come in handy.

For the second wave, I use double sunflowers, gatling peas (highly recommended), lilypads, tangle kelp, tallnuts, pumpkins, spikeweeds, lights, magnets, and spikerocks. If you don't have all 10 slots, it's okay. The double sunflowers aren't needed (I usually have 2000-3000 sun leftover by the end) and neither are the spikerocks (they are very nice to have, though).

If you have the double sunflower, start using those to replace your regular ones. Also get started on setting up gatling peas. Both of these plants take a while to recharge, so while you wait, start placing tallnuts two spaces in front of the snow peas. That should give you enough time to plant a few magnets; I like to place two in the water, one on the top, and one on the bottom. This will leave two blank spaces, which you can fill up with lights. You don't have to do this; it's not terribly difficult to play with the fog, but it's still nice to be able to see.

Whenever available, you should also plant spikeweeds (and spikerocks if you can) in the remaining grass spaces in front of the tallnuts. In the water, feel free to throw in a couple of tangle kelp (or more tallnuts if you wish) just to make things easier.

Now, if you see that you are going to have balloon zombies during a level, be sure to equip a blover. When the balloon zombies get close to your house, simply use a blover to replace one of your sunshrooms.

When all of the above is done, you should end up with something like this:
D s G n M T p p p p
D s G n L T p p p p
D s G n M T
D s G n M T
D s G n L T p p p p
D s G n M T p p p p

D=double sunflower; s=sunshroom; G=gatling pea; n=snow pea; M=magnet; L=light; T=tallnut; p=spikerock

Like I said, the upgrades aren't 100% necessary, but they help immensely. Also, remember to place pumpkins around your tallnuts! If you can, you should also place them around your magnets and lights.

I'm usually able to get the above setup by the third or fourth flag. At that point, I can just sit back and let my plants do all of the work. To keep myself from getting bored, I might plant extra pumpkins and tangle kelp.

I know it's lengthy and perhaps a bit confusing, but I hope this helps at least somewhat. And just so you know, there is indeed a Hard version of the Fog Survival. It's really not difficult at all, though. You can basically use the exact same strategy as above, but for extra security, I like to replace the sunshrooms with melons (and then upgrade them to winter melons) and replace the snow peas with more gatling peas and maybe a cattail or two (this will save you from using blover). But aside from that, I use the same strategy.

Once you play the game long enough, you'll see that it's actually quite easy. About the only really difficult thing about this game is trying to survive longer than 30 flags in Endless (and even that is simple for some people). Oh, and the new Heavy Weapon mini-game...I'm really bad at that for some reason.

Murgatroyd7
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM
why the hell didn't they compensate for the lack of randomly spawning sun like in the daylight levels?
They do. The sunshroom costs half as much.

even though that'd be sappy since I play this game purely for the achievements..
That probably explains why you're having so much trouble. That's probably one of the worst reasons to play this game. The best advice I can give you: forget about the achievements and just enjoy the game for what it is.

T0b3
09-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow, thank you so much, Murgatroyd.
I will give your strategy a shot.. my only problem is that I don't manage to gain enough sun with flowers/shrooms in time.. once that's done, fending off the remaining waves is a walk in the park..

That's why I think that all levels except for the fog ones are really easy-peasy.

Thanks again. :)

Cypher_Cobra
09-13-2010, 07:22 AM
The fog level is basically the same as any other level.

A few things that help.

You should use sun shrooms initially, but replace the first shroom column with sun flowers later and upgrade the sun flowers to double sun flowers. This will let you uproot the 2nd column of planted sun shrooms to make room for more attacker plants while still producing 2 columns worth of sun.

Free attacker shrooms are used to stall in the early waves. You shouldn't use them for more than 2 rounds. Use scardy shrooms and fume shrooms if you are being overwhelmed by cone heads. Use chompers or other instants to eliminate any early bucket heads. But keep planting those free shrooms everywhere, even if they're eaten instantly.

A whole column of magnet shrooms will cripple most zombies, you can also put a pair of planterns in this support column if you want to see through the fog. Just make sure you place a free attacker shroom in front of them until you can get a wallnut or tallnut for permanant defense later.

For your main attacking plants, you should either go with 2 columns of gattling peas firing into a column of torchwood. Or with 3 columns of winter melons/melon-pults.

If you use replace your first column of sun shrooms with double sun flowers, uproot your 2nd column of sun shrooms and replace them with a column of cactus and cattails to counter aerial enemies.

If a miner slips past your magnet shrooms don't panic. Simply uproot a cactus(since they're next to your sunflowers) and use one of your instant destruction plants to eliminate it. The cactus is easily replaced, the sunflower is not so much.

StayonTarget
09-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Try playing with 2 players. Have someone put butter on the zombies. Makes it really easy.

Jebus Fist
11-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks Murgatroyd!! I needed your strategy for hard fog, I was doing well but didn't use magnets or freeze attacks. I got decimated on wave 7 my way, but your tips made it a breeze.

KatJoe2009
11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I've been having a lot of trouble with some of these survial levels and I found that this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEMJb4lNoO0 helped a lot with strategy with the mushrooms to the right. Then just plant your sun mushrooms to the left like you would sunflowers.

Everyone is right, its all strategy to make it harder or easier. Just have to have the right plants and right amount of slots to put them in.

ScottieElisabeth
01-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I promise it's not as hard as you're making it. You just have to use the right strategy. First of all, make sure you have upgraded your slots at least twice and don't forget to buy the rake beforehand (a few plant upgrades would also help). When starting out, I like to equip the sunflower, sunshroom, lilypad, tangle kelp, the two free mushrooms, repeater, and potato mine. If you have additional slots, the squash and snow pea are both useful.

What I then do is plant sunshrooms in the second column from the left (go across the water too). When available, I dispatch the free mushrooms wherever they are needed, and if necessary, I will also plant a potato mine or tangle kelp for any zombies that break through my defense. One thing that is very useful is sacrificing the free mushrooms. If a zombie is getting too close, place a free mushroom on his space and he will stop momentarily while he eats. This helps a lot when fending off the conehead zombies.

Once enough sunshrooms have been planted (at least halfway), I start planting sunflowers behind them in the far left (over water as well). As long as you keep an eye on the zombies, you should have the first two rows filled up well before the first wave starts.

After all of the sunflowers and sunshrooms are planted (or at least almost), start working on a column of repeaters in front of the sunshrooms. I suggest placing them over the water because the water mushrooms and tangle kelp both have slow regeneration rates. If things get a little hairy, the squash can be quite helpful. If there is time, I then place a column of snow peas in front of the repeaters (this is why it's good to have extra slots).

By the time the first flag is over, I usually have the majority of my defense deployed. At this point, I usually don't need the repeaters or snow peas anymore. Hopefully it will be the same for you, but if not, then this is where extra slots will come in handy.

For the second wave, I use double sunflowers, gatling peas (highly recommended), lilypads, tangle kelp, tallnuts, pumpkins, spikeweeds, lights, magnets, and spikerocks. If you don't have all 10 slots, it's okay. The double sunflowers aren't needed (I usually have 2000-3000 sun leftover by the end) and neither are the spikerocks (they are very nice to have, though).

If you have the double sunflower, start using those to replace your regular ones. Also get started on setting up gatling peas. Both of these plants take a while to recharge, so while you wait, start placing tallnuts two spaces in front of the snow peas. That should give you enough time to plant a few magnets; I like to place two in the water, one on the top, and one on the bottom. This will leave two blank spaces, which you can fill up with lights. You don't have to do this; it's not terribly difficult to play with the fog, but it's still nice to be able to see.

Whenever available, you should also plant spikeweeds (and spikerocks if you can) in the remaining grass spaces in front of the tallnuts. In the water, feel free to throw in a couple of tangle kelp (or more tallnuts if you wish) just to make things easier.

Now, if you see that you are going to have balloon zombies during a level, be sure to equip a blover. When the balloon zombies get close to your house, simply use a blover to replace one of your sunshrooms.

When all of the above is done, you should end up with something like this:
D s G n M T p p p p
D s G n L T p p p p
D s G n M T
D s G n M T
D s G n L T p p p p
D s G n M T p p p p

D=double sunflower; s=sunshroom; G=gatling pea; n=snow pea; M=magnet; L=light; T=tallnut; p=spikerock

Like I said, the upgrades aren't 100% necessary, but they help immensely. Also, remember to place pumpkins around your tallnuts! If you can, you should also place them around your magnets and lights.

I'm usually able to get the above setup by the third or fourth flag. At that point, I can just sit back and let my plants do all of the work. To keep myself from getting bored, I might plant extra pumpkins and tangle kelp.

I know it's lengthy and perhaps a bit confusing, but I hope this helps at least somewhat. And just so you know, there is indeed a Hard version of the Fog Survival. It's really not difficult at all, though. You can basically use the exact same strategy as above, but for extra security, I like to replace the sunshrooms with melons (and then upgrade them to winter melons) and replace the snow peas with more gatling peas and maybe a cattail or two (this will save you from using blover). But aside from that, I use the same strategy.

Once you play the game long enough, you'll see that it's actually quite easy. About the only really difficult thing about this game is trying to survive longer than 30 flags in Endless (and even that is simple for some people). Oh, and the new Heavy Weapon mini-game...I'm really bad at that for some reason.

I was having ridiculous trouble with the Fog (Hard) survival, and I'm a seasoned Plants vs. Zombies player. One attempt with this method and I breezed right through. Thanks!