PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth It?

DarkAssassin13
09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
So I was at best buy yesterday buying some games but I kept looking at this one not knowing if it was worth the money or not....is it worth a buy or rent?

jamie1000013
09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Definitely a buy for GS and for fun. Takes atleast two playthroughs to get all the GS. Also it takes ages to collect all the stuff. DLC is coming out for it aswell so I would go for the buy.

If you rent it you may have to rush to complete it and not enjoy it as much.

Jellybean468
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Definitely buy it if you have the money. If you buy it brand new you get the first DLC free, too.

RYAN ARKISON
09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
might buy this game as well is it worth 40

Jellybean468
09-12-2010, 10:23 PM
might buy this game as well is it worth 40

I got mine for 25 brand new and it came with free DLC.

BluntmanX
09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
It's worth it. I've had it since about a week after it came out and I'm STILL playing it. I'm only one achievement away from 1250. =)

amacteur
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Worth it definitely.

You can find it new for 16 (including free 1st DLC), pretty nice deal.

Kutlu9
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I think it realy does worh it!!!

Miss Allen86
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
The game has a story that will suck you in and great graphics to match. I got alot of enjoyment out of this game and I'm pretty picky about the games I play. Also if you ever played Silent Hill and liked it, well then you be very happy playing Alan Wake. Sooo in conclusion....buy it!!! ^_^

squattin wolfie
09-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Deffo worth the Buy, i was dubious at first but loved the game from the first to the last chapter

p00pyfacemcgee
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I would say this game is a rent. It has 0 replayabilty, and the story is not as great as people say. Its just presented well and makes you think your getting something special but its really average and mediocre when its all laid out.

Also there is not much in the way of gameplay, its very repetative after awhile, and alan cant do anything but dodge, shine a flashlight and shoot. Theres plenty of other games out there worth a purchase and your time but I wouldnt invest too much in this one. I normally keep all the games I buy but will have no problem trading this one in b/c i will never touch it again or waste money on the dlc.

And if your like most people here and want to get all the achivements your going to have to play thorugh the game twice b/c you have to beat it once to unlock nightmare mode and beat it again on nightmare mode to get an achivement and collect some more stuff only available on nightmare.

The first play through is fine but the second one is a chore b/c there is a lot of time your not doing anything but listening to people talk, and walking around.

Lastly there is a ton of collectibles, 11 radios to listen to, 100 coffee thermoses, 15 tv shows to watch, 30 chests, 25 signs to read, 12 can pyramids to knock down and 106 manuscript pages. most of which are time wasters and you cant backtrack so you have to start the chapter over to find everything.

KJDellow
09-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I've been putting this game off for a while but I finally went out and got it on Tuesday. Only started it this morning though.
Absolutely brilliant so far! Not the best on graphics but the game's storyline is spot on for how much I've played.

Definitely worth the buy in my eyes!

danjs84
09-26-2010, 01:44 AM
great story and a great ending

L4D II JoK3r
10-03-2010, 09:34 AM
After reading what you guys think of it I'm getting it for sure! The only problem is if you guys find it so good why didn't reviewers find it this amazing?

tehapoc
10-03-2010, 10:39 AM
It's definitely one of the better games that have come out this year. If you like Silent Hill type game then you should enjoy this.

ozgoon56
10-03-2010, 01:01 PM
After reading what you guys think of it I'm getting it for sure! The only problem is if you guys find it so good why didn't reviewers find it this amazing?

Because they're reviewers, not gamers? ;)

Actually it did get mostly very good reviews. Metacritic has an average score of 83 from 100 reviews with no really bad reviews and only 13 in the average range. 33 reviewers gave it rave reviews of 90 or better with several perfect 100s.

I bought the game 2 weeks ago on special and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not perfect but I'd say that the 83 is about right. Well worth a playthrough for anyone who enjoys action games. And if you buy it new you get a download code for The Signal DLC. :woop:

CrippleTron33
10-04-2010, 01:48 AM
I've very nearly bought this a few times when I've seen it on sale, does the free DLC code expire at any point? Like with Dragon Age?

ozgoon56
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I've very nearly bought this a few times when I've seen it on sale, does the free DLC code expire at any point? Like with Dragon Age?

The card only says one time use and there's no mention of an expiry date in the fine print. Mine certainly worked fine about 10 days ago.

m00ney79
10-06-2010, 07:20 AM
My DLC card didn't have an expiration either, so I think it's safe to say that it doesn't expire. I got my copy on sale at amazon.com for $25. I would reccommend buying it online. You can get games alot cheaper, and at amazon.com, anything over $25 you can get free shipping. As long as you don't mind waiting a few days to get the game. As long as you buy it new, you'll get the DLC card too.

morseypoo2000
10-10-2010, 01:43 AM
How long do you think it takes to get all gs with the dlc as well? A rent or a buy??

Buruma
10-10-2010, 01:46 PM
How long do you think it takes to get all gs with the dlc as well? A rent or a buy??
From what I remember, it only took me a day or two to get all of the achievements in The Signal. The main game can take a while, depending on how much free time you have. Easiest way to get all of those achievements is to complete the story twice. Once on Normal, once on Nightmare. (Couldn't imagine gathering 100+ coffee thermoses in Nightmare mode.) :p

kall5ter
10-10-2010, 02:04 PM
i highly recommend this game to anyone! now when i first started playing it i didn't think i was going to like it but now i'm in love with it. i usually HATE horror games but this one is absolutely amazing and the graphics are stunning!

gerowniko
10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm also wondering whether to buy this game or not.
I absolutely loved the 'Bright Falls' prequel series, but I don't like games like Resident Evil or Silent Hill or any other horror game. I also didn't like the Dead Space 1 demo and the gameplay seems similar, but I could be wrong.

However I am interested in this game because the story should be great and the whole atmosphere appeals to me.

I would like to know what type of game this is considered, is this more of a survival/horror game or more of an action/adventure game?
Do you run out of ammo/batteries fast?
Does it take long to kill an enemy?
Do you die fast?

Would you recommend this game to me?

I would be very grateful if someone took the time to answer my five questions.:)

verybadloser
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I would say rent, all the dlc is now out, and you could easily get every achievement in under 2/3 days, this game has near enough 0 replayability after you've done everything, and it's very easy.

Buruma
10-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I would be very grateful if someone took the time to answer my five questions.:)
It is absolutely nothing like Dead Space. In my opinion, anyway. Kinda similar to the Silent Hill series, I suppose...

1. It's a little bit of both. There are a few horror elements.
2. The game throws plenty of items at you (even in Nightmare mode).
3. Not usually. Just depends on how quickly/effectively you use the light.
4. Normal mode should be a breeze.
5. If you like what you've seen so far then you'll probably enjoy it. If you're not 100% sure about it, you can always rent first.

gerowniko
10-13-2010, 07:56 PM
I would say rent, all the dlc is now out, and you could easily get every achievement in under 2/3 days, this game has near enough 0 replayability after you've done everything, and it's very easy.

It is absolutely nothing like Dead Space. In my opinion, anyway. Kinda similar to the Silent Hill series, I suppose...

1. It's a little bit of both. There are a few horror elements.
2. The game throws plenty of items at you (even in Nightmare mode).
3. Not usually. Just depends on how quickly/effectively you use the light.
4. Normal mode should be a breeze.
5. If you like what you've seen so far then you'll probably enjoy it. If you're not 100% sure about it, you can always rent first.

Thanks for the quick responses.:)
The problem is, here in the Netherlands it is not possible to rent this game and since none of my friends have interest in this game, I only have the option of buying -or not buying- this game.

Looking at the answers, it doesn't sound too bad. I think I will just buy this game when it is cheap. I'm sure this game is something different than what I'm used to, that could be a good thing.

One last question though,
How does the save system work in Alan Wake? I assume it uses checkpoints and autosaves, but is this true and if this is true, do you get checkpoints frequently/do you have to replay large sections of a level when you die?

Benny263
10-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Probably gunna get alot of hater replies to this but here goes.. Probably one of the worst 40 I'll ever spend in my entire life, worst game i've played in a while, Good storyline, Rubbish gameplay... Not worth it.

Cryptic Shock
10-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Probably gunna get alot of hater replies to this but here goes.. Probably one of the worst 40 I'll ever spend in my entire life, worst game i've played in a while, Good storyline, Rubbish gameplay... Not worth it.

To be honest you did as the original poster asked, you gave your opinion. I'm sure many people will disagree, but I don't think you can be discredited for having an opinion no one agrees with.

Personally I found it to be one of my favourite games of all time, easily a contender for my top 10. The atmosphere in the game is great, the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, with the soundtrack fitting the game perfectly.
Furthermore the bonus content is abundant, every soundtrack that you listen to can be played back in the menu, this including all audio logs, ie. manuscript pages, etc.
Collectables are also a worthwhile venture, with players being rewarded for locating them, and this does not just mean with achievements; Manuscript pages can give you foresight of events to come, TV Shows add to the atmosphere, and radios allow players to find out what is happening around Bright Falls (the location that the game is set in).
It doesn't have the fear factor of games like Dead Space, but the eerie setting adds tension when needed. Its episodic layout works well in complementing the genre; as each episode progresses more mysteries along with answers are revealed similar to tv series such as LOST.
The only negative point I can think of is that the last episode felt rushed and could have done with being spaced out between a few more episodes. It isn't a major issue and I feel that this problem came from my desire to play more rather than the fact that it ends to quickly.
The plot is well thoughtout with the ending allowing space for the downloadable content as well as the opportunity of a sequel.

I'd give Alan Wake 9/10 with minor problems such as lip syncing, and the length of the game being the only issues. There is a lot of replayablity, with collectables that feel rewarding, and the DLC which has recently been released furthering the plot. With the possiblity of a sequel the game is a wonderful edition to anyones collection and I would recommend to anyone who has yet to try it.

Cryptic Shock
10-14-2010, 04:00 AM
One last question though,
How does the save system work in Alan Wake? I assume it uses checkpoints and autosaves, but is this true and if this is true, do you get checkpoints frequently/do you have to replay large sections of a level when you die?

As you go through the game there are autosaves/checkpoints. They are quite frequent and if you end up dying you won't end up going back miles, I'd say around a minute or two back at the very most. You can also save by leaving the game and it will save upon exit.
Furthermore after you complete an episode you can go back to it through the menu. You choose a certain episode and start from a certain point in that episode, ie. each episode will have 2-3 points that you can choose from.
This means if you have a favourite part you can return to it without replaying the whole game, as well as helping with collectables.
As for collectables incase your inclined to ask, there is a statistics menu that shows how many kills you have with each weapon, how many collectables you have, etc. This means if you are achievement hunting that you don't have to guess how many more kills you need with a shotgun before the achievement pops up.

gerowniko
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
To be honest you did as the original poster asked, you gave your opinion. I'm sure many people will disagree, but I don't think you can be discredited for having an opinion no one agrees with.

Personally I found it to be one of my favourite games of all time, easily a contender for my top 10. The atmosphere in the game is great, the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, with the soundtrack fitting the game perfectly.
Furthermore the bonus content is abundant, every soundtrack that you listen to can be played back in the menu, this including all audio logs, ie. manuscript pages, etc.
Collectables are also a worthwhile venture, with players being rewarded for locating them, and this does not just mean with achievements; Manuscript pages can give you foresight of events to come, TV Shows add to the atmosphere, and radios allow players to find out what is happening around Bright Falls (the location that the game is set in).
It doesn't have the fear factor of games like Dead Space, but the eerie setting adds tension when needed. Its episodic layout works well in complementing the genre; as each episode progresses more mysteries along with answers are revealed similar to tv series such as LOST.
The only negative point I can think of is that the last episode felt rushed and could have done with being spaced out between a few more episodes. It isn't a major issue and I feel that this problem came from my desire to play more rather than the fact that it ends to quickly.
The plot is well thoughtout with the ending allowing space for the downloadable content as well as the opportunity of a sequel.

I'd give Alan Wake 9/10 with minor problems such as lip syncing, and the length of the game being the only issues. There is a lot of replayablity, with collectables that feel rewarding, and the DLC which has recently been released furthering the plot. With the possiblity of a sequel the game is a wonderful edition to anyones collection and I would recommend to anyone who has yet to try it.
As you go through the game there are autosaves/checkpoints. They are quite frequent and if you end up dying you won't end up going back miles, I'd say around a minute or two back at the very most. You can also save by leaving the game and it will save upon exit.
Furthermore after you complete an episode you can go back to it through the menu. You choose a certain episode and start from a certain point in that episode, ie. each episode will have 2-3 points that you can choose from.
This means if you have a favourite part you can return to it without replaying the whole game, as well as helping with collectables.
As for collectables incase your inclined to ask, there is a statistics menu that shows how many kills you have with each weapon, how many collectables you have, etc. This means if you are achievement hunting that you don't have to guess how many more kills you need with a shotgun before the achievement pops up.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.:)
This confirms it then, I am going to buy this game, but only when it's cheap.

bwfcskillsinhd
10-16-2010, 09:53 PM
yes it is worth it

guitarshreddder
10-19-2010, 04:20 AM
My buddy was showing me this game it looks like a lot of fun, sort of reminds me of condemned a little bit

TriRock
10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes it is. Especially now that you can get it quite cheap.

JesusBread
10-20-2010, 07:12 AM
100% worth it. I bought it for $40 a while back and have had it sitting around for almost a month. I just got around to playing it today and it is such a great game. Only got through the first 2 episodes so far though. Hopefully, the next 4 are just as great as the first two.

gamesmaster360
10-22-2010, 10:52 PM
this game is well worth getting.i bought it last week 12pounds preowned and am on the 5th chapter and got the free dlc card as well.cheevos are easy too

WillScot55
10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Well worth getting IMO
Plus I went to buy it new and the guy at Gamestop kept telling me to get it used so I made sure it had the DLC with it so it was well worth it

Plus it is a great game and it uses Light in an intresting way I guess kinda like Limbo uses Black and White to set the story

GMarauder
11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
It is definitely worth buying if you can get it on sale. Simply based on the replay value, I wouldn't spend $60 on it. Replay value doesn't seem like it would be very high once you grab all the achievements, however I'm still working on them.

AwareTheLegend
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
This game is more that worth the original $60 I paid for it. It is a steal of a deal for anything less.

GOVNA10
11-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah, a great game, even if I hadn't borrowed it from a friend I think I would have bought it by now

R3vengeance
11-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Well worth the purchase, I'd buy it at full price again anytime.

Gor1lla
11-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Well worth the purchase, I'd buy it at full price again anytime.

Agreed.
One of the best stories i ever played

fuzzy343
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
It is definitely worth the money.

gerowniko
11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Ok so it was discounted this week at my local gameshop so I decided to buy a new copy of Alan Wake for just 22 euros. I haven't put the disc in the tray yet but I will update this post once I have played the game and say whether I like it or not.:)

EDIT: Seems like I won't have time for playing this game anytime soon. First I would like to complete the BioShock 2 campaign. Once I have actually played the game I will try to answer the questions I asked earlier on this thread.

x LeXXuz x
11-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Definitely woth it! Got it month ago and just replayed the whole campaign. And again, I enjoyed every second of the great atmosphere and setting.

To me this game absolutely HAS a replay value. :)
I understood lots more of the tiny and weird story details this time while they escaped my comprehension the first time I played it. ;)

AWC GOTTI
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
it's one of the best written stories ever, the game play is smooth, the cinematic game play is unique and beautiful. i would buy this game is was 200 dollars.. no problem. a lot of time and skill went into this game and it shows.

amize15
11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I would say this game is a rent. It has 0 replayabilty, and the story is not as great as people say. Its just presented well and makes you think your getting something special but its really average and mediocre when its all laid out.

Also there is not much in the way of gameplay, its very repetative after awhile, and alan cant do anything but dodge, shine a flashlight and shoot. Theres plenty of other games out there worth a purchase and your time but I wouldnt invest too much in this one. I normally keep all the games I buy but will have no problem trading this one in b/c i will never touch it again or waste money on the dlc.

And if your like most people here and want to get all the achivements your going to have to play thorugh the game twice b/c you have to beat it once to unlock nightmare mode and beat it again on nightmare mode to get an achivement and collect some more stuff only available on nightmare.

The first play through is fine but the second one is a chore b/c there is a lot of time your not doing anything but listening to people talk, and walking around.

Lastly there is a ton of collectibles, 11 radios to listen to, 100 coffee thermoses, 15 tv shows to watch, 30 chests, 25 signs to read, 12 can pyramids to knock down and 106 manuscript pages. most of which are time wasters and you cant backtrack so you have to start the chapter over to find everything.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I just noticed this game on sale and wasn't sure if I should buy or not.

cotwild
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
buy it.. you're going to play it more than once.. :-)

cigarnut81
11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I ordered it today! Very excited after watching the webisodes earlier.

iNiNJiTSU
12-05-2010, 07:31 PM
hmm, well this thread is making me reconsider this game, I'm sure its great however survival horror not exactly my genre...

ozgoon56
12-06-2010, 12:23 AM
hmm, well this thread is making me reconsider this game, I'm sure its great however survival horror not exactly my genre...

Except that it's not really horror, it's more psychological suspense. Even the survival side isn't full on as there are plenty of interludes where you're not fighting for your life and the episodes where you do fight large numbers of taken are relatively few. What AW does really well is to tell a good open ended story which leaves you with some interesting conjecture as to what you think really happened. And it also has some fun characters and dialogue.

I don't particularly like survival-horror either, but I loved this game and will definitely be in line for the sequel when it arrives.

judd90
12-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I'd say its worth it.

I haven't finished it yet but when i was playing it, it was a lot of fun. DLC is supposed to be good to.

gerowniko
12-26-2010, 07:05 PM

I can tell you this, I hate survival horror games, but I absolutely love Alan Wake. It truly is a great game!:)

FSparacino4
01-04-2011, 06:46 AM
A great game, but I refuse to buy games without multiplayer as there is no replay value. I rented this through Gamefly.

Shred 93
01-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Amazing game. One of the most engaging and fun stories in any video game i have ever played.

Izzy Shayde
01-10-2011, 07:30 AM
If you can get it cheap, buy it.

FSparacino4
01-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the responses.:)
This confirms it then, I am going to buy this game, but only when it's cheap.

If you have GameFly, the keep option is only $24.99 and you can pick it up on Amazon for $16.50. Not a bad deal there!