PDA

View Full Version : PowerGig Calls Out Rock Band 3...and fails

SebastianSB
09-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Power Gig and Rock Band 3: Real Guitars. Real Differences. (http://powergig.com/buzz/power-gig-and-rock-band-3-real-guitars-real-differences)

By admin | Posted at 11:57am, 9/13/2010 | Category: Blog Power Gig will be the FIRST AND ONLY band game that uses a real six-string guitar as a controller when it hits stores October 19. We don’t know when the makers of Rock Band™ 3 will release their guitar controller. They haven’t said.***

Power Gig’s guitar bundle will be available for only $179.99. We don’t know what the price of the Rock Band™ 3 guitar controller will be. Again, they haven’t said a peep. Not one peep.

Power Gig’s guitar is easy for ANYONE to pick up and play in most modes. Rock Band™ 3 has talked about this one. And as far as anyone can tell, you can only use their guitar controller in Pro Mode.* Sounds tricky.

Power Gig’s guitar is the ONLY real six-string guitar controller that works with almost ANY band games you already own.** From what we understand, you can only use Rock Band™ 3’s guitar controller in Rock Band™ 3 – and not even in the full game. Only in Pro Mode.*

Real guitars are better than fake guitars. So if Rock Band™ 3 really does have a real guitar, and it really comes out and people really play it…awesome!! At Power Gig, we believe in real music for all. So on October 19, we invite everyone to rock out on our 100% real six string guitar – for real. And that’s the difference.

* As revealed at PAX Prime 2010 during the Harmonix panel on Rock Band
** Go to www.powergig.com/compatibility (http://www.powergig.com/compatibility) for more information.

*** In partnership with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation as announced on June 11, 2010.

Rock Band and all related titles are trademarks of Harmonix Music Systems, Inc. Fender is a registered trademark of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. Power Gig has no affiliation with, and is not associated or sponsored by, any of these trademark owners.

I love how they make no mention of their terrible drums, they ignore the fact that their guitar doesn't work in Rock Band 3 Pro, they don't give the name of the poster, and they don't allow comments on the post.

Desperate company is desperate. I look forward to buying PowerGig for $5.00 in the bin next to Rock Revolution.

Starstrukk X360A
09-14-2010, 05:31 AM
I'm sure this will flop.
I'm still gonna get it though.
When I can get it for almost nothing.

mikachu93
09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
It's so petty that they have to try and take stabs to make their product look good. John Drake's jokes aside, you don't see Harmonix doing this to Activision.

Starstrukk X360A
09-14-2010, 11:16 AM
It's so petty that they have to try and take stabs to make their product look good. John Drake's jokes aside, you don't see Harmonix doing this to Activision.

It's been done on Twitter plenty of times. Except the Harmonix crew who poke fun actually do it right.

It was a month or so back, but one of them tweeted something along the lines of "You can download the new pack on Rock Band! Available a few months back." "I don't see why people think we hate the content they put out. We put it out months ago, so of course we like it."

ponypo2001
09-14-2010, 01:15 PM
I had high hopes for Powergig when it was first announced. I was even ready to believe it'd be nothing like Rock Revolution.... then I saw it play :/

Good lord it looks awful. I watched the murder of the Eric Clapton classic "Layla" (a major song selling point to me). It looked almost identical to RR with those ridiculous, eye strain inducing highways and the same crappy drum lane.

It's a shame really. They thought they were going to corner the market with their six string but Harmonix had RB3 tucked away nicely and upon it's announcement of having a six string also, the makers of Powergig must've died a little inside. Anyone else remember the videos where the guy was walking through the features and he looked and sounded so depressed? They already know this is gonna flop.

Now, if only Harmonix will listen and release "Layla" and "The Hollow" on RB3.....

Straylow
09-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I get to see all the people confuse it with Guitar Hero and Rock Band come this holiday season. "Oh, why is this one only $50...and it has a guitar controller?!"
"It's because it's PowerGig."
"So? He won't know the difference! Ring it up for me!"
Ugh...just like Tony Hawk: Ride. Terrible idea and execution. I'll admit, the guitar looks kind of cool, but the game itself is horrible. I hate the Rock Revolution look of the highway and the drums...are you kidding me? Did anyone else read the interview they had on those? Via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/08/hands-on-power-gigs-airstrike-drum/). Just sounds like a whole mess. I'll wait to see the reviews and everything, but...no. Actually, just no. I'm a Rock Band guy and I'm not moving on anything else. Sorry, PowerGig. If you came out last year, ya maybe would have a better chance.

Starstrukk X360A
09-14-2010, 03:51 PM
The whole 2D highway was cool.
Back before Guitar Hero was even around.

Although I gotta admit. I still love to play a DrumMania machine whenever I find them around.

ponypo2001
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
The whole 2D highway was cool.
Back before Guitar Hero was even around.

Although I gotta admit. I still love to play a DrumMania machine whenever I find them around.

My only problem with it is I can only play like 2 songs on that type of highway before I got dizzy and have to stop. My mates are the same. Just something about it makes us all feel yuck. None of us have that issue with GH or RB.

mikachu93
09-14-2010, 07:07 PM
For anyone who's interested, here's the studio's response to all the feedback.

Hey guys.

I understand the feedback. The point we are trying to make is that according to much of the info coming out of E3, Rock Band 3 was going to have a real guitar controller coming this holiday season. They also never spoke on the features of it. What we wanted to make clear is that no, it isn't coming this year, and they won't say when it is. If you want to play a real guitar controller with your music game, Power Gig is the first and only place to do it this this year.

Also, in terms of features, The Power Gig SixString is backwards compatible with most major music games out there. The only major exception being Guitar Hero 3, which any Rock Band controller isn't compatible with either. The Squier isn't compatible like this. We want consumers to know these differences.

Finally, in terms of functionality, the SixString can register and string and fret input, but we consciously decided to use to game to introduce guitar playing and basic skills first and then expand on that as players gained more skill and were ready for it. We know that if we introduce a product that is too complex and difficult in its gameplay, more players than not will be frustrated and not play. Our goal with Power Gig is to make a product that anyone can pick up and play and use as a bridging product to gain real guitar skills. It is still not clear if that will be the case with Rock Band 3.

We at Seven45 Studios have nothing but respect for the makers of Rock Band 3 and the industry they helped to create. We view there as being a market for both of our products. We just want players to know there are differences between our products and inform them of some facts that we feel are underrepresented in the coverage so far. It was tongue in cheek, but the facts still stand.

SebastianSB
09-15-2010, 02:48 AM
I understand the feedback. The point we are trying to make is that according to much of the info coming out of E3, Rock Band 3 was going to have a real guitar controller coming this holiday season. They also never spoke on the features of it. What we wanted to make clear is that no, it isn't coming this year, and they won't say when it is. If you want to play a real guitar controller with your music game, Power Gig is the first and only place to do it this this year.Wrong. HMX's goal is for it to come out in 2010. They've said it might spill over into 2011, but they've never said it won't come out in 2010.

Never spoke on the features of it? Countless people have used it themselves while being filmed, etc! What about the trainer? The sensors in the neck? Everything else? PowerGig is just blatantly ignoring information that doesn't help their story.

Also, in terms of features, The Power Gig SixString is backwards compatible with most major music games out there. The only major exception being Guitar Hero 3, which any Rock Band controller isn't compatible with either. The Squier isn't compatible like this. We want consumers to know these differences.What the hell is the point of buying an expensive six string guitar peripheral just to play five button guitar charts?

Finally, in terms of functionality, the SixString can register and string and fret input, but we consciously decided to use to game to introduce guitar playing and basic skills first and then expand on that as players gained more skill and were ready for it. We know that if we introduce a product that is too complex and difficult in its gameplay, more players than not will be frustrated and not play. Our goal with Power Gig is to make a product that anyone can pick up and play and use as a bridging product to gain real guitar skills. It is still not clear if that will be the case with Rock Band 3.I love how they admit here that the guitar is inferior but try to pretend that's a good thing. The PowerGig guitar can only play single notes and power (two string) chords. In other words, you aren't really playing real guitar or even getting particularly close to it. They say they planned on expanding it later, but that's only a desperate attempt to save face when compared to the much more advanced Squier.

We at Seven45 Studios have nothing but respect for the makers of Rock Band 3 and the industry they helped to create.Bullshit.

the facts still stand. Against their favor.

animeaddict42
09-15-2010, 05:40 AM
C'mon Seven45, have some class. It must be extremely depressing to have a well-established company reveal an awesome feature that you were attempting to pioneer first (one they are clearly doing better in making, too) but there's no need to put several paragraphs of desperate attempts to make your game look better.

Starstrukk X360A
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
StarSlay3r posted a video discussing Power Gig and her experiences with it at conventions.
I already knew this game sucked but damn.

YouTube - Power Gig Dun Goofed

mikachu93
09-16-2010, 06:50 PM
StarSlay3r posted a video discussing Power Gig and her experiences with it at conventions.
I thought they'd dun goofed enough when they released that first press release...

Regardless, I think my new life goal is to marry StarSlay3r.

animeaddict42
09-18-2010, 06:16 PM
OK, so I haven't been following this game since the first announcement of it... but wow. I didn't expect the guitar to do well... but what the hell is the idea behind these drums? A good portion of people who get behind plastic drums do it for the feel of hitting drum pads and making noise and to NOT have to air drum... these drums go the complete opposite direction.

It's like they ran a focus test on what the people wanted and went the complete opposite direction. And then they bash a game that has a much more in-depth real guitar system, with systems for arpeggios, etc. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but damn!

Matrarch
09-24-2010, 05:37 PM
I almost feel bad for the PowerGig guys (though their posts have tempered that some). I saw them at PAX East in March and they were really excited to talk about the product. Mind you, they didn't actually show the game, but the concept of using a real guitar (or something at least resembling it) at that point had not been announced for RB3, so I think they were really pumped that this idea was something they would be bringing to market first.

None of that excuses the fact that the game just looks terrible. I'll also gladly picked it up when it's way marked down. Rock Revolution actually had some very nice concepts in it and a pretty damn good setlist, it was just executed poorly. Well worth $5 though.

Dustinator
09-26-2010, 12:12 AM

YouTube - Power Gig Dun Goofed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xkse1ga418)

At 6 minutes in...........is he hitting the kick pedal with his drum sticks?!?!?! WTF?????????? I LOLed off my chair when I saw that. My cat is scared now.....

ApochWeiss
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
I REALLY don't know why, but I'm very attracted to shitty games. This to me just looks like the diamond in the shit. I'm actually anxious to play it, but like many people, it looks like it's just going to be depressing no matter how you look at it. The drum kit looks like total shit, the guitar...well...may be the only half decent thing about it. I've been thinking about learning to play the guitar for real from a buddy of mine so I may very well buy this just so I have a guitar I can take to a friends house to learn on haha

Oh wait, I have an old acoustic...

Oh well, one less game I gotta worry about. I'll grab it when it's in the bargain bin for a couple bucks for the whole set.

Dustinator
09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Oh well, one less game I gotta worry about. I'll grab it when it's in the bargain bin for a couple bucks for the whole set.

Like Rock Revolution? Which seems to be on sale everywhere for $5 here in Southern CA ;) Course, the whole set for Power Gig will be twice that amount.....$10.......before summer of next year. The drums will be free :p