PDA

View Full Version : Linkin Park-A Thousand Suns

SSJ3
09-17-2010, 06:33 PM
What does everyone think of the new album? I just bought it today.

UK Dennis
09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I love hybrid theory, so as you can imagine i hated this album. The best song on there and the only one i can really listen to is Wretches and Kings.

Xerofox
09-17-2010, 07:16 PM
My opinion of the new CD:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9366/lpstats.png

Seriously, what are they trying to do? Stick to one sound, they have acoustic, pop, trance/electronic and baby rock on this album. 80% of the CD is just electronic based sounds combined with one or two guitar riffs. Damn, Rob and Brad must have been bored to death when they created this album because you hardly hear normal drums or a proper guitar riff in any song. I really thought "The Catalyst" was some sort of mistake but apparently every song on the CD is like that.

The funny thing is that the last good album they created was "Reanimation" but apparently this didn't reanimate their creativity. I think I'll stick with their older demo's and the first 2 albums.

SSJ3
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Now that I've listened to it I regret paying 13 for it

tehapoc
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I might take them seriously if they start doing drugs again.

Starstrukk X360A
09-18-2010, 01:14 AM
I was gonna say inb4 hate but obviously I'm a bit late on that.

I honestly love it.
I hate when bands sound the same in every album. That's probably the main reason why I don't listen to Disturbed as much anymore. Every damn song sounds the same to me.

This change is new, and it's gonna have a lot of them lose fans, but it's a pretty awesome change.

Although I really wouldn't doubt that I'm the only member who posts that even enjoys it.

Neverender
09-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Now that I've listened to it I regret paying 13 for it
Wait, you paid the equivalent of $20 USD for a CD (and much worse, a Linkin Park one)? Inflation is worse than I thought...

As for my opinion, I agree with Xerofox. They were good at one point, but that was so long ago that it's hard to remember.

Coadster1
09-18-2010, 05:21 AM
I hate it, I don't like their new sound at all. I like The Catalyst, and that's pretty much it... :(

Puppet Master
09-18-2010, 05:23 AM
It's just horrible they haven't done anything even decent since Meteora. It's a shame but after the last one I wasn't surprised by the fact that this one was awful at all. Oh well at least I didn't pay for it my brother did.

Coadster1
09-18-2010, 05:28 AM
It's just horrible they haven't done anything even decent since Meteora. It's a shame but after the last one I wasn't surprised by the fact that this one was awful at all. Oh well at least I didn't pay for it my brother did.

I didn't mind Minutes to Midnight, I liked a couple of songs on that, but I know what you mean, after Meteora, things slowly decreased into A Thousand Suns. :(

Apophis PL
09-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I think "A Thousand Suns" is the best one

SSJ3
09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Wait, you paid the equivalent of $20 USD for a CD (and much worse, a Linkin Park one)? Inflation is worse than I thought...

As for my opinion, I agree with Xerofox. They were good at one point, but that was so long ago that it's hard to remember.

That's how much new CDS are :confused:

Br0kenAssass1n
09-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Pile of shit. Huge letdown.

Santaslave
09-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I hate when bands sound the same in every album. That's probably the main reason why I don't listen to Disturbed as much anymore. Every damn song sounds the same to me.

Well bands are all about the money nowadays, so it's not really a surprise that the songs are repetitive.

BKV
09-18-2010, 01:34 PM
An extremely disappointing album, which just may soon swear me from their music forever.

LFC2K6
09-18-2010, 03:23 PM
This is exactly why I download music, I don't think I should have to pay 13 for an album that is this awful.
Had I actually paid for this, I would be pulling my hair out about now.
Hybrid Theory was one of the first albums I've ever bought and is still one of my most listened to albums, but to think after that start they've come to this is a real shame.

SSJ3
09-18-2010, 04:00 PM
This is exactly why I download music, I don't think I should have to pay 13 for an album that is this awful.
Hybrid Theory was one of the first albums I've ever bought and is still one of my most listened to albums, but to think after that start they've come to this is a real shame.

I usually do this but seeing as how I bought a ticket to see them live in November I thought I should buy the album. This is the last time I do that lol.

Burning Karma
09-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Do you then buy the music if you like it?

LFC2K6
09-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I usually do this but seeing as how I bought a ticket to see them live in November I thought I should buy the album. This is the last time I do that lol.

You could always sell the ticket? lol

I draw similarities of the LP situation to Metallica, the reason I love Metallica is the same I loved LP. When I heard the first 2 albums, it was the music I loved so I started listening to the rest. Now I know bands can change over time, most do but in this instance Metallica changed to a style of music I still like and so I could still love and support their music through this change. Yet, a LOT of people got pissed off that they changed their style and stopped listening to them and some even started to hate. But in this change they got some new fans so it balanced out.

This time with LP I find myself on the other side of the argument, I loved their early work but the music they make now sounds like shit to me and I refuse to support that, but I know they won't care, they'll get new fans and it'l all be rosey, but I'm still disappointed they're no longer making the unique style that made me love them.

So to all the people who want to use the "Bands change, deal with it" line, you have no idea what it's like until your favourite band starts making awful music.

LFC2K6
09-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Do you then buy the music if you like it?

Yes, I will also occasionally(When time and money allows) go see them live.

I have no problem paying for music, it's the fact that I'm allowed no preview before I buy it, then have no right to return it on the basis it sounds like shit afterwards.

A perfect system would be, let you download it and keep it for say 3 days. If after those 3 days you don't like the music, it gets deleted/taken back. But if you like it, you pay for the right to keep it.

Burning Karma
09-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes, I will also occasionally(When time and money allows) go see them live.

I have no problem paying for music, it's the fact that I'm allowed no preview before I buy it, then have no right to return it on the basis it sounds like shit afterwards.

A perfect system would be, let you download it and keep it for say 3 days. If after those 3 days you don't like the music, it gets deleted/taken back. But if you like it, you pay for the right to keep it.
Good on you then. I like the idea of a preview system (for bands I don't know, I tend to look up their music online anyway). Those who just downloaded it and give the artists nada irk me. :p

LFC2K6
09-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Good on you then. I like the idea of a preview system (for bands I don't know, I tend to look up their music online anyway). Those who just downloaded it and give the artists nada irk me. :p

I believe David Draiman of Disturbed said it best....

"This is not rocket science. Instead of spending all this money litigating against kids who are the people they're trying to sell things to in the first place, they have to learn how to effectively use the Internet. For the artists, my ass...I didn't ask them to protect me, and I don't want their protection."

Of people downloading HIS songs he said...

"I'm very positive about the internet, Napster. I think it's a tremendous tool for reaching many more people than we ever could without it. When you release music you want it to be heard by people...Nothing is going to do that better than Napster. I can't tell you how many kids have come up to me and said, 'I downloaded a couple of tunes off Napster and I went out and bought the album.'...I don't really make money off of record sales anyway."

Neverender
09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
That's how much new CDS are :confused:

Not in the U.S. Here they're $10-12 USD, which is the equivalent of 5-6. I knew somethings are more expensive overseas, but I didn't think CDs would be double the price...

SSJ3
09-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Not in the U.S. Here they're $10-12 USD, which is the equivalent of 5-6. I knew somethings are more expensive overseas, but I didn't think CDs would be double the price...

I think it's just because it's new. I seen there old albums for 2 for 10.

Gackt
09-19-2010, 12:44 AM
I really like the new album. Glad it sounds nothing like the other stuff they have done...to many bands sound the same album after album.

Neverender
09-19-2010, 06:03 AM
I think it's just because it's new. I seen there old albums for 2 for 10.

My bad, I was doing the conversions wrong. I was doing 1=$1.5, I was doing the conversions the other way around (and in the last post I made, I was even doing that much wrong), so the CDs are really almost same price. My maths is bad :p

SSJ3
09-19-2010, 10:26 AM
My bad, I was doing the conversions wrong. I was doing 1=$1.5, I was doing the conversions the other way around (and in the last post I made, I was even doing that much wrong), so the CDs are really almost same price. My maths is bad :p

Lol I felt ripped off for a second there.

Hughesy9
09-24-2010, 12:44 AM

No we are getting ripped off 1 does = around $1.5, it's the same with most things.

On topic: I hated the album compared to there older stuff.

nonemployee
09-24-2010, 01:22 AM
That album was released? Man I'm behind.

I've stuck with Linkin Park forever, and heck they were my very first band I liked. There hasn't been a single album or song I didn't like, counting Fort Minor, which Mike led. I honestly have to say MTM was my favorite album, and this could possibly become my next favorite. I guess it could be because I found the newer songs to show more feeling and such. I know when I heard them do "Not Alone," I liked it and it never failed to get me in a depressed mood, which was pretty fitting, and I was almost tepted to donate to Haiti because of it. O_o

The way I see it, you can't be a true LP fan if you don't like everything they do. Sure, you can just slightly dislike a few songs, but just saying they're horrible and don't know what they're doing is pretty harsh. Don't get me wrong, its kinda odd how they're going to this style, but everyone usually wants something new, and thats what they wanted.

SmoothAsEgg5
09-25-2010, 04:16 AM
i thought the album was pretty average. of course not the LP people are used to, but it doesnt necessarily make it bad.

Battosai343
09-26-2010, 03:09 AM
I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm getting the impression it's worse than MTM? If that's true, then I won't even download it. I didn't have much hope after hearing "The Catalyst."

MTM, imo, was a disgrace; ballad after ballad after ballad.

BedCommando
09-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Don't fix what's not broken.
Considering how many times LP has changed, they're still broken.

dakisbac
09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
This (http://www.411mania.com/music/album_reviews/152998) review and most of the comments underneath represent my opinion. I remember reading another review that said give the CD at least two playthroughs and I've given it four. They said it would grow on me and it hasn't - it's just garbage.

I don't know if I would qualify as a typical LP fan though since most people are all about Hybrid Theory/Meteora and generally dislike Minutes to Midnight. Me? I like those two albums but Minutes to Midnight is by far my favorite. According to some that would make me more inclined to like this album since they're produced by the same dude. Definitely not the case.

The only quasi-decent song on here is The Catalyst. I remember listening to it back in August (in the MOH trailer) and thinking "I hope this isn't their lead single" but now I'm glad it is. I see people saying Wretches and Kings is the best or second best song on the album... I don't know if maybe because it sounds more like their original stuff but I wonder what these people are thinking. Minus the songs that aren't actually songs, this is definitely the worst. I don't like music that rapes my ears.

And on the other topic in this thread; I download first and buy after. If I like most of the album I'll buy it, but for cases like this CD the band will be lucky if I even keep the songs on my hard drive.

SSJ3
09-26-2010, 05:56 PM
This (http://www.411mania.com/music/album_reviews/152998) review and most of the comments underneath represent my opinion. I remember reading another review that said give the CD at least two playthroughs and I've given it four. They said it would grow on me and it hasn't - it's just garbage.

I don't know if I would qualify as a typical LP fan though since most people are all about Hybrid Theory/Meteora and generally dislike Minutes to Midnight. Me? I like those two albums but Minutes to Midnight is by far my favorite. According to some that would make me more inclined to like this album since they're produced by the same dude. Definitely not the case.

The only quasi-decent song on here is The Catalyst. I remember listening to it back in August (in the MOH trailer) and thinking "I hope this isn't their lead single" but now I'm glad it is. I see people saying Wretches and Kings is the best or second best song on the album... I don't know if maybe because it sounds more like their original stuff but I wonder what these people are thinking. Minus the songs that aren't actually songs, this is definitely the worst. I don't like music that rapes my ears.

And on the other topic in this thread; I download first and buy after. If I like most of the album I'll buy it, but for cases like this CD the band will be lucky if I even keep the songs on my hard drive.

I loved MTM All though I can see why people hate it, But I would rather listen to MTM for 48 hours then have to listen to A Thousand Suns once.

ConflagrationMN
09-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I used to love these guys when I was a tot. I'll probably end up downloading the new album, listening to it once and then deleting it.

ZServ
09-29-2010, 11:42 PM
A Thousand Suns is a total departure from anything they've done before, mostly because it's not an album. It's really not; They're concerts have always been about sweet transitions, and this record took that to a whole new level. On top of which, I didn't care for the new sound at first. But after 2-3 listens of the album, I love it. I've bought it now, and I still love the band as a whole. I still don't like The Catalyst though.

Magic Coletrain
10-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Worst album i've heard this year, along with BFMV's Fever

yes i like the old school LP and i'm not gonna say "GO BACK AND DO HYBRID THEORY PT2!" i know they can't do that, they're not angst teenagers anymore etc

but seriously? like 6 songs of these are just fillers like Empty Spaces, The Requiem etc and most of the songs just sound boring, the only song i actually like is The Catalyst

also it sounds like they're trying to hard to sound a bit NIN with Wretches n Kings intro guitar and When they come for me, guitar wise anyway

plus whats with "The Messenger" ? Chester whining over an acoustic guitar? it was painful to listen to that song all the way through i was hoping when i heard the acoustic guitar, that we're gonna have some awesome melodic vocals like the parts in Breaking the habit or even the ending to Hands Held High but no it's just Chester whining LOVE KEEEEEEEEEEEPS US KIND or something

anyway kudos to those who like it but in my opinion its garbage

Monstor
10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I haven't heard this yet, but to go Off-Topic for a second, the reason I like a band in the first place is because I love the way they sound. If a band went from heavy to more softy sounding I'd listen to something else.

Le3THal
10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Quite a strange one for me as it took some time to get use to it as they have gone in a bit of a new direction "Sound wise"

i think there is a bit of filler on this album which is disapointing as "HYBRID THEORY" has none at all!!

Robot boy is definitely the worst track on there... not good at all!

When they come for me, waiting for the end, Blackout are all awesome songs & definitely the stand out tracks and my favez from it.

WRETCHES & KINGS is undoubtedly the best track on the album.

Le3THal
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Forgot to say the catalyst is good aswell! :0D

PurpleSkwid
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I listened to it four times all the way through before I liked any of the songs.

Now I like The Catalyst (The version from the MoH trailer, not the album version.)
Blackout and When They Come For Me are also good.

Wretches and Kings just reminds me of Bring the Noise.. :/

SSJ3
10-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Hearing Waiting Until The End on the Radio so many times has made me fall in love with it.

ParalyzedShadow
10-10-2010, 06:33 AM
I think "A Thousand Suns" is the best one

I was saying the same exact thing. Well, maybe I was just saying that it's their best written album. I really love it.

I love the Beatles feel in "Waiting for the End"

Also like some previous poster said, I really like how they don't have the same sound on ever album. It keeps everything interesting.

StayonTarget
10-12-2010, 11:30 PM
New Divide and What I've Done to me, are the only great songs they've done. Unless of course you like rap(ish) sort of stuff.

SSJ3
10-14-2010, 06:57 PM
After listening to the entire album four times I can honestly say I freaking love it, You need to listen to it a few times to actually love it.

SSJ3
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Seeing them tonight cannot wait.

Andy Shandy
11-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Seeing them tonight cannot wait.

Lucky so and so :p

As much as it's changed from previous albums, I still love A Thousand Suns and in fact the only album by them I didn't like straight away was Meteora and I still ended up liking it in the end.

I really, really, reaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllly like The Catalyst and Waiting For The End :D

UNDERWALLY
11-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I might take them seriously if they start doing drugs again.
EPIC COMMENT.
Made my day

KidDivinegon
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
When i first listened to the album I didn't know what to think of it. Then I went into the booklet on the inside of the CD case and read what the idea behind the album was and listened to it again. Now that I know what the music is supposed to be and their idea behind it I love the album.

rman0099
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I get that they might have been trying to do something different, but in my mind they just ended up with a sonic mess that either pandered to fans of the catchy poppy hits or just experimented too much with electronics and mix in sound effects. I have listened to the album a few times and anymore I don't even listen to it at all. I liked them more when they were doing songs like "One Step Closer". I understand they are going through an evolution to their sound, but where they are going isn't for me.