PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel or Controller?

JohnnyBoosh
09-21-2010, 08:10 AM
As a huge F1 fan over the last few years I'm stoked for this game on Friday as it would be the only racing game I would be interested in...

I'm mulling over the idea of a steering wheel but not sure it it would enhance the experience...any views on this and if you think it would??

What are you going to use to race? Steering Wheel (if so which one) or controller?

http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/JohnnyBoosh.png

tonyturbo
09-21-2010, 08:13 AM
come one really??? Anyone who is a racing fan should have a wheel and pedals, it's driving after all. Controllers are no good for racing games full stop, unless your an expert at using one with racing games. It's very hard to be smooth with a controller, where as a wheel and pedals is just instinctive. This game will be hard as nails with a controller, have you seen the speed of it lol. I can't ever imagine trying to play this game with a controller.

Myself, I have the fanatec porsche wheel and pedals, but it is pretty expensive. The standard MS wheel and pedals are a really great piece of hardware, you wont be disappointed in the experience it brings to your gaming whilst racing.

SneakyofSneaks
09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
I might have to buy myself an xbox wheel as the racing cockpit has been idle since GT4.

Mind you I have moved games rooms and I don't think it will fit now, have to get the tape out to have a measure.

FATCRAZYDUDE
09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
gonna use the normal xbox steering wheel for career mode and controler for online unless im in a private match or feel like using the wheel on line for a bit :Bounce:

mptuk
09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
ill most prob use both has i been used to using controller for years only recently got the ms wireless wheel.. i pre-ordered my copy of F1 an it was posted out today so hopefully get it 2moro or thursday. (shopto)

James Medway
09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Anyone know where you can actually get the MS wheel? i've looked all over the internet and it's completley out of stock.

Really want one for friday or soon after to play f1 with

DeafSunchaser
09-21-2010, 11:28 PM
i think this game NEEDS a steering wheel lol just been playing f1 and its not good on controller... so gonna serch ebay ect for one lol!

tgas416
09-22-2010, 12:01 AM
i don't know i will play it first on the controller im not sure about the wheel

Doesel
09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
it's definatly playable with a controller, but it's hard. I'm much faster and more precise with my wheel, though it's only the MS Wheel... Biggest problem of the controller is the hypersensitivity of the steering, imho..

tgas416
09-22-2010, 11:30 AM
it's definatly playable with a controller, but it's hard. I'm much faster and more precise with my wheel, though it's only the MS Wheel... Biggest problem of the controller is the hypersensitivity of the steering, imho..
that's true it just i don't want to go out and buy a $100 wheel just for this game im not a huge racing fan in terms of playing racing games. but hopefully i can enjoy it to on the controller.

pined5551
09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
My mate has a wheel and i used it for the first time a few days ago, and am now over at his flat all the time hogging the xbox, playing Forza 3 with it. It is so much more satifying to race with a wheel, and despite being tricky at first, once you get the hang of it you can go even faster. I wouldn't agree with what was said here about the controller not granting smooth racing. I have played racers for years with a controller and never had any issues. But i do wish i had gotten a wheel before Forza 3. Almost feels like a wasted experience. I am buying the Wireless wheel with my copy of F1 2010.

Tezzah
09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
steering wheels are amazing but it takes the piss sometimes because they are hard to use if your not used to them :)

nawtbird
09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
:drunkI just ordered the Turbo 911 S wheel from Fanatec :drunk

Can't wait and I don't even have the game yet, I will get it Friday

d32
09-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I got the madcatz MC2 (and will pick up the madcatz wireless one when its available), and initially was really hard to control the turns with both the wheel or the controller. What I found that it requires some tweaking in the settings (deadzone, saturations, etc.) so that I don't spin out at every turn. With a steering wheel and having the settings tuned it makes a world of a difference.

It's a fantastic game so far but its so different than the rally games I play (you mean I can't cut corners??).

jtr1gg3r
09-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Id use a wheel, but I dont have the space for it, let alone the money :(

JohnnyBoosh
09-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Anyone pleased to play with a controller?

DeafSunchaser
09-23-2010, 09:45 PM
had this game 4 days now and my fingers are killing me! lol waiting for my wheel to come :)

mptuk
09-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone pleased to play with a controller?

didnt know what to expect at first but tried with controller and im quite happy with it i know that if i used steering wheel id be off the track more times so think ill just stay with what works.

Xterm1n8or
09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah I'm using a controller aswell atm, I sold my wheel 3 months ago whilst totally forgetting about this game. :(

Anyway, without meaning to brag, I'm pretty handy with the controller so I don't mind too much. Had lots of practice on Forza. :)

KPD7424
09-24-2010, 02:15 AM
I have the Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel. Yes, as previously stated, it's pretty expensive and the MS wheel is a low cost substitute which should do racers just fine.

Doesel
09-24-2010, 07:56 AM
My mate has a wheel and i used it for the first time a few days ago, and am now over at his flat all the time hogging the xbox, playing Forza 3 with it. It is so much more satifying to race with a wheel, and despite being tricky at first, once you get the hang of it you can go even faster. I wouldn't agree with what was said here about the controller not granting smooth racing. I have played racers for years with a controller and never had any issues. But i do wish i had gotten a wheel before Forza 3. Almost feels like a wasted experience. I am buying the Wireless wheel with my copy of F1 2010.

you should try playing F1 2010 with a controller first before saying that someones arguments aren't true. I didn't say that it's not possible to play racing games with a controller, Forza 3 proofs the opposite, as I'm about 3-4s faster with a controller than the wheel. BUT in F1 2010 it is 10 times harder to be precise, to be exact and to make only little corrections..

o D M C o
09-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Ive tried both control methods and they both have their advantages. I much prefer using a wheel, nothing can beat the satisfaction of nailing a corner using a wheel and pedals. However when you start out you wont be doing it all to often as wheels are much harder to use if you're not accustomed to them. Controllers make you feel disconnected, but if you want the instant gratification of initially posting faster lap times use one. Ive also noticed that the car feels almost over responsive with the controller, but with a control mistakes ar eoften easier to correct.
Sit in front of a big TV with your wheel and pedals and it feels like you have the best arcade racing machine ever right in your front room, try it you wont be disappointed

RazerindemiX
09-26-2010, 12:35 PM
can anyone tell me if i got a wheel with pedals if i din't want to use the pedals can i asign to a button instead ?

DAYTONAMIKE
09-26-2010, 04:50 PM
can anyone tell me if i got a wheel with pedals if i din't want to use the pedals can i asign to a button instead ?
yes you could

RazerindemiX
09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
yes you could
ah nice 1 buddy cos i know i want the control on the steering but not sure about the full sim drive all the time going to but it now cheers

Dragon86
09-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Starting using a wheel beginning at Suzuka on Year 1. After getting the feel for the thing, managed to come home in 4th at Yas Marina.

tally2425
09-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I play with the Controller im happy with it atm as i havent tried the Steering Wheel, May have to buy one tho!