PDA

View Full Version : Got it for XBOX, My 1st Impressions...

iOnlyGotOneArm
09-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Got lucky I guess and was able to pick it up at a local Best Buy. I then stopped by Gamestop on my way home and got my 60$+change for the preorder that did me no good.

I've only been playing a bit and first impressions are good; although I can already tell that the "interview"/"reporter" side of career mode is going to be annoying. (Oh well.) The game looks great - I got it for the XBox360 btw. I have not converted to a wheel as of yet but for those that do use the XBox controller, it is fully customizable down to the last button. (Good news there.)

The real problem I'm having, and this boils down to a personal preference - it is nothing really at fault with the game, but I'm finding a problem adjusting to the camera angles. I have never, repeat never, been a fan of the third-person vantage point; too arcarade-like for my taste. I have always used the "Hood" camera angle because I feel that is the most realistic. People say that the cockpit is the most realistic, but face it, if you drive, how often do you see your own hands in your line of sight? You see your instruments when driving when you glance down at them, they're not taking up 1/2 of your field of vision. That being said, there are 2 angles which I'm going back and forth with: the cockpit view and above-the-shoulder (or head in this case) view. Neither is just right because cockpit view obscures too much of the track and the latter just is not a genuine 1st person vantage point. Here is a quick sketch of what I mean. (No prejudgments on the quality, I just wanted something quick so I drew it w/ my mouse in Paint real quick.)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=1949&pictureid=10872

Other than that, I like it so far. Just takes adjustment more than anything. After playing NFSS & Forza for so long you get used to things and while those 2 games have their major differences, they do have a lot of similarities as far as drive-feel goes.

Main thing I can suggest is track knowledge! The car is very "needy" and you have to be on your toes - I don't play with the ABS, TCS crap on, so I feel that I'd rather get used to it the hard way. Suzuka and Cataluņa are easy for me because they are in Forza 3, and while I haven't played NFSS in some time, I'm sure that Spa will come back to me as well. Silverstone's circuit track changed for the F1 2010 season, so while the first sector and I think maybe the second are the same, it has been reworked from turn 7 to turn 16.

tgas416
09-23-2010, 01:52 AM
what your impression on the difficult is it hard to get into or is it easy?

BrassBallz
09-23-2010, 02:22 AM
No bumper cam? That makes next to zero sense. As a veteran of Forza 2 and 3 this is going to take some getting used to though I do occasionally use the cockpit view for fun especially in R1 cars. I agree with you on third person view, it's terrible, the cars feel and handle different, not in a good way, plus it ruins immersion.

My copy shipped from GameFly today so I should have it no later than Friday. With F1 in Singapore this weekend I can't wait to take a spin around the track at night in the rain! My only hope is that the cars do not handle like the abysmal FAIL of a game called GRiD.

iOnlyGotOneArm
09-23-2010, 02:23 AM
what your impression on the difficult is it hard to get into or is it easy?

I am playing with all of the assists turned OFF, but have recently turned the "guide-line" on for tracks with which I'm unfamiliar. I would definitely say that playing with these conditions is very very hard. (Mind that I'm just doing trial hot laps.) The braking is nothing like Forza & the steering is very unforgiving. I'm sure that there are adjustments that can be made, and I'll get to it soon enough, but it is taking some getting used to for me.

The stupid thing is that if you spin out or go off track in a "trial" run, it nullify's your lap - fair enough. But if you happen to spin-out two times on one lap, it will nullify not only the current lap you are on, but also your next lap. So that means you have to complete the current lap and also complete the next full lap before your lap time will even being to count again. (That is ubergay!)

iOnlyGotOneArm
09-23-2010, 02:25 AM
No bumper cam? That makes next to zero sense. As a veteran of Forza 2 and 3 this is going to take some getting used to though I do occasionally use the cockpit view for fun especially in R1 cars. I agree with you on third person view, it's terrible, the cars feel and handle different, not in a good way, plus it ruins immersion.

My copy shipped from GameFly today so I should have it no later than Friday. With F1 in Singapore this weekend I can't wait to take a spin around the track at night in the rain! My only hope is that the cars do not handle like the abysmal FAIL of a game called GRiD.

There is a bumper cam, but that is not realistic. The viewpoint has your face planted an inch above the pavement and while there is nothing obstructing your view, you won't have anything but the wall to look at because things go by so fast and it's so unorthodox to be so low (for me at least), that it causes more problems than the non-obscurity of the "bumper" vantage point.

NinjaPhilly
09-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Go and sit in an F1 car, what they've put in game is pretty much all you can see from a real cockpit.

And if time trial go's tits up then you can always just restart from the pause menu instead of finishing null laps.

iOnlyGotOneArm
09-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Go and sit in an F1 car, what they've put in game is pretty much all you can see from a real cockpit.

And if time trial go's tits up then you can always just restart from the pause menu instead of finishing null laps.

When you sit in an actual F1 car, the steering wheel is not horizontally aligned with your path of sight. Meaning if you think of what the driver sees as your television screen, the bottom 1/2 is not covered up, he has to glance down/look down at the wheel to see that stuff. That being said they don't do that as often as we do in a video game because they're so familiar with their car and can feel so much more that they don't need to look down at the RPM lights to know when to shift.

pined5551
09-23-2010, 09:38 AM

They may have decided to take the bumper cam out due to the front wing. You wouldn't be able to place the car all that effectivley with a bumper view. But yes, it does seem odd not to put one in all the same. I'll check myself when i get my copy. Also, the drivers in real life cannot see much either, so the cock-pit view is accurate and realistic.

Barad
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm still really looking forward to this game.

DrkStar47
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I want to offer you a caution on F1 2010: for me it felt very Grid-like and less like Dirt 2. Now that is not a bad thing, but I found Dirt 2 more enjoyable than Grid, so if you were of a similar opinion... I am just saying it feels Grid like. Now I say that as a very first impression. I like it but it is very, very immersive for a racing game. What with practice laps, qualifying, and the race itself. In the very first race weekend, they set up the career like the real thing, you are required to race no less than 20% of the actual race, which is 10 laps. At a little over 2-minutes a lap that is a 20-minute race. And that is on top of practice and qualifying. You have the option of increasing the laps by percentage up to 100% which is, in the case of the first race 49-laps. The player could do very well right out of the gate, because it is an F1 game so everyone has the same car, more or less. The AI is punishing. The people at the front are the people you would expect to be at the front this season. The Vettels and Hamiltons and Buttons and Webbers will kick your butt. I could no more beat them in a real race first time so I didn't really expect to do it in the game either.

Graphically it is stunning, with the choice of a dynamic environment, the weather will change. Tire (or Tyre as it is written in the game) selection will be a factor. When you pit matters, I was obligated to pit twice in the first race. Kind of peed me of too because I was first and after the pit I was 20th, I had to wait a really long time until I was clear to exit the pit. I should have pitted earlier as a strategy.

I also struggled with my driving view; I usually race (in Forza and other racers) with a hood view. That isn't a option in F1, it is a front wing view and I didn't couldn't see far enough down the track. I tried the cockpit view and it is better (it looks amazing graphically), but the side mirrors are just out of view. I ended up with a view that is just behind and above the drivers head and it works really well. Of course there is the traditional 3rd person view favoured by many racers.

Overall, I like it? I am really not sure. The game "feels" so deep that I get the sense that I have only scratched the surface. From talking to your agent (who is modeled like a character from L4D2) to the post race interviews, to set-ups from your engineer, tire selection, environmental conditions (Spa will be great because the actual track can have rain on one half and it can be bone dry on the other.) After a little over 2hours of play time I haven't done much. As a result, this is really just a first glimpse. It feels like Codemasters has done the F1 curcuit and faithfuls well with F1 2010, but I need to race more. (And Halo Reach keeps calling me http://canadianonlinegamers.com/bbs/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif )

Shelton
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Graphically it is stunning, with the choice of a dynamic environment, the weather will change. Tire (or Tyre as it is written in the game) selection will be a factor. When you pit matters, I was obligated to pit twice in the first race. Kind of peed me of too because I was first and after the pit I was 20th, I had to wait a really long time until I was clear to exit the pit. I should have pitted earlier as a strategy.

This is a bug and my only complaint thus far. I have to alter my pit strategy to try and avoid going in at the same time as others, as currently I have to wait in the pit until everyone else is out. Plenty of times I've fought my way into a decent position, only to get put to the back of the pack because of this bug. Hope they fix it soon.

mptuk
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
got to admit should of known this game be really long lol.. loads of laps to do its really good my first game i thought where`s the handbrake button (doh) its realistic and straight to what F1 is all about an thats the racing, had afew laps where ive cut a corner or over-powered straight onto the grass but its all about that learning curve.

ill stick with it wonder how the online mode is if its anything like either dirt2 or grid then should be cool to play.

antney29cdo
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
booooooooooooo