PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help With the Bioshock Series

LickableLemons7
09-27-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm a noob with Bioshock, and I'm having trouble deciding to buy 1 and 2 or not. I think I can get Bio 1 cheap at gamestop, around $20 or so. I heard Bio 1 was a very outstanding game, and 2 was a little bit worse(my friend's opinion). Can someone try to fill me in on what's going on? I know that the first two take place in some underwater city, Raptar, I think. I'd like to get some more info on these games, cuz they seem interesting, and I'd love to give them a try before Infinite comes out. But I still have quite some time, right?:p I'd love to hear some opinions on these games.

Edit: 11/11/12

It's been over two years since I posted the above. I've never finished Bioshock on my Live profile, but I've finished it when I was vacationing with a friend over a year ago. I found it underwhelming and predictable in terms of the plot. I've seen too many movies and read too many books to know what could happen. And no, I didn't get the story spoiled for me before I played the game.

However, Rapture is one of the best damned gaming worlds I've ever wasted my time in. The underwater setting is something I've never experienced before. I'll admit, I don't feel like playing through the story again, but I have a used copy from GameStop that I bought for $5 dollars, and I boot it up from time to time just to watch the opening and stare through windows and watch fish swim by.

Rapture is really great, as is the wild west in Red Dead Redemption, or the nuclear wastelands of Fallout 3. Really unique. I still get a stupid kick out of the game. And I'm looking forward to Bioshock Infinite. In game character interaction with Elizabeth and Booker looks and sounds flawless. I've preordered the premium edition, but I'm debating as to whether or not I should just switch to the Ultimate Songbird edition. I want to have money for Aliens: Colonial Marines, GTA V, and Watchdogs too.

GrumblyCoyote
09-27-2010, 11:06 PM
The city is called Rapture and you can find all the info you want in this game official wiki page:
http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/BioShock_Wiki

LickableLemons7
09-28-2010, 07:16 PM
The city is called Rapture and you can find all the info you want in this game official wiki page:
http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/BioShock_Wiki
There's a Bioshock wiki?! I should've guessed.:pThanks mate.

stevenmactavish
10-02-2010, 07:44 PM
in my personal opinion i loved both bioshock games so much that i cant wait for bioshock infinite which not due till early 2012, i would recommend getting the first one before the second because there is a big story behind the game and with out play both you will never get the full picture on whats happening,

bigbear2face
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
A few months ago I was in the exact same position you were in. I had heard good things about 1 and not so good things about 2 and had just seen the first trailer for Infinite and couldn't decide whether I wanted to get involved with this franchise or not.

What ended up making my decision for me was my buy 2 get 1 free on used game coupon from GameStop. Since my brothers birthday was coming up I decided to use it to get him a game and get myself the Bioshock games.

Bioshock 1 was totally worth it. It was cheap used and was a fantastic game. Bioshock 2 was good but not great. It felt more like a very large expansion of Bioshock then a completely new game.

THe RiiVieRaKid
10-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Bioshock 1 is amazing.Bioshock 2 was ok but it was no where near as good as Bioshock 1. It was a bit of a let down

LickableLemons7
10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Looks like I've made my decision, guys. I'll be getting Bioshock 1 soon, but idk when. I'll wait for the price of Bioshock 2 to go down before I buy it. The first looks great, I was playing it at my friend's last weekend.:)

LickableLemons7
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Instead of buying Bioshock, I've agreed to borrow it from a friend so I can play through it. He'll let me keep it as long as I want(I'm thinking of a good 3 playthroughs), but as long as I let him borrow my copy of the first Force Unleashed.:p

Deadly Noob92
12-20-2010, 02:44 AM
both are great, but first did have an edge over the second. both have great stories though. its rapture, lol :)

Opiate42
06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Instead of buying Bioshock, I've agreed to borrow it from a friend so I can play through it. He'll let me keep it as long as I want(I'm thinking of a good 3 playthroughs), but as long as I let him borrow my copy of the first Force Unleashed.:p

Not a bad idea ;), the game is a good length but even once you're familiar with everything and the story shock has worn off it's still a joy to play. Multiple playthrough are almost a must if you're like me and a story-whore. The multiple endings due to your decisions, especially in Bioshock 2, are totally worth it.

Sampson
07-01-2011, 02:12 AM
You can get Bioshock 2 for $20.00 pretty much anywhere, even on the Games on Demand section of the game marketplace. Bioshock one you can find even cheaper.

Ulv Skjold
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Bioshock was amazing, Bioshock II was just as good IMO. What it lacked in story/creativeness it made up for in practicality. I just could've done without the multiplayer.

FlippyCodeX
07-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Bioshock 1 is a superb game, great storyline and great gameplay. number 2 was a shorter storyline and it was alright, the way to make it better for playing is to get the dlc's especially minerva's den because it has a great storyline as well. and the multiplayer is fun.

The Bum-Mobile
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Play them! The first is an utter masterpiece. That being said, a lot of people hate on the second. I thought it was a worthy sequel, wrapping up the story in one crazy twist. Just play them both.

Eludingkarma
07-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Bioshock 1 was great. Bioshock 2 was only released to put the multiplayer out there. It didn't add anything to the storyline at all.

You could probably play Infinte without playing any of the othe titles and be fine.

masterofthecontinuum
09-30-2011, 02:42 AM
bioshock one has way better story, and bosses but bioshock 2 has better powers.

Itachi3636
12-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Bioshock 1 really set the bar high, and while trying to incorperate multiplayer it wasn't surprising that Bioshock 2 couldn't surpass Bioshock 1 with plot line.

Miss Psychotic Unicorn
12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I did prefer bioshock 1 to bioshock 2.... but i did enjoy being a big daddy :D

ZestyNoodles
01-03-2012, 05:04 AM
I loved the Bioshock 1 mainly because I played it first, and the first time you descend into Rapture is the best. I mean playing as a Big Daddy is sick, and being able to pull up a drill and obliterate your enemies is super hilarious!

scooter1981
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Not to sound like a broken record but I agree, the first was the better game but in order to get that better understanding of whats going on, get them both. The second game is an enjoyable venture aswell. Looking forward to Infinite

Opiate42
01-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I remember playing the opening events in the first game, and being completely mind-blown by the whole affair. The dystopic world, getting blasted on plasmids, messed up splicer masks and the little creepy-eyed girl with her giant companion Mr. Bubbles. Hook line and sinker had me.

The first Big Daddy fight, one of those moments in gaming to cherish. You always remember your first.

INSANE ASHBY 16
03-31-2012, 02:28 AM
Both are great story was better in 1 but the little sister gathering in 2 was soo fun I say get both form your own opinions

wim17
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Bioshock 1 was great. Bioshock 2 was only released to put the multiplayer out there. It didn't add anything to the storyline at all.

You could probably play Infinte without playing any of the othe titles and be fine.
No story?
Read the book.

Benny34
04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
i love bioshock 1, the most but they were both good, look on amazon for them...

lifetimegamer
08-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Wasn't bowled over by Bioshock 2 but the original is one of the best games I've ever played. Great narrative, interesting environments and just a tonne of fun to play :)

cjdavies
08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
You can download Bioshock 1 as a demo to try, I did and loved it and I enjoyed Bioshock 2 also.

The Bum-Mobile
08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
They're both incredible games. The first is simply one of my all-time favorites, as I'm sure many would agree, and has really held up well. The second was also great, not as good, but still great. Really expands the lore of the first one. They're certainly both worth playing, and I'd imagine you can get them both for a good price.

ZingZitang
08-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll admit, I Didn't play Bioshock right away when it released.

But I had to Endure a Friend at work asking me every day "Have you played Bioshock yet?"

So finally I gave in and played Bioshock. Its one of the best Games I've ever played.

Fantastic Story, setting, and Atmosphere. Its all Awesome. Especially when you get hit with the biggest most Holy Shit story twist in the History of Story twisting! One of my Favorite moments in Gaming Ever!

I'd highly recommend Bioshock 1 and 2 to anyone and everyone.

N7 Shadow
08-31-2012, 02:00 AM
I'll admit, I Didn't play Bioshock right away when it released.

But I had to Endure a Friend at work asking me every day "Have you played Bioshock yet?"

So finally I gave in and played Bioshock. Its one of the best Games I've ever played.

Fantastic Story, setting, and Atmosphere. Its all Awesome. Especially when you get hit with the biggest most Holy Shit story twist in the History of Story twisting! One of my Favorite moments in Gaming Ever!

I'd highly recommend Bioshock 1 and 2 to anyone and everyone.

Nice! I actually started off with Bioshock 2 since my friend let me borrow it and highly recommended it to me. I loved it so much I had to buy the first one, and then bought the second one to have for myself. Great plot. Loved the environment, the music. What did you think about the multiplayer in 2 if you don't mind me asking?

pickel668
11-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Buy Bioshock first and then get Bioshock 2 they are both great games and well worth the price.

Iceskater101
12-22-2012, 02:57 AM
Buy Bioshock first and then get Bioshock 2 they are both great games and well worth the price.

Yeah exactly. They are amazing games and I hope you love them as much as I do.

WalterWhite
12-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Alot of people give Bioshock 2 shit but I will say for a sequel to a game like Bioshock where the creator wasn't involved, it was outstanding. It could have been complete garbage like sequels to most things in the world of entertainment are when it leaves the hands of it's original creator. If anything it was a step sideways but it's not like the game market is overflowing with titles as unique as Bioshock anyway.

MabusScarab
12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I didn't quite get the negative comments about Bioshock 2 either.. I thought it was excellent.

LickableLemons7
01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
A distinctive reason people found Bioshock 2 to be "bad" was because it appeared to be more of the same. You're still in Rapture, possibly expecting some huge plot twist to happen midway through your playthrough. Gameplay mechanics were tweaked a bit, and there were new enemies like the Big Sisters, but nothing groundbreaking. And the addition of a multiplayer mode made fans think that development was taken away from the singleplayer campaign.

So many people judge how future titles will perform in a franchise based on their previous experiences with older games, like they expect consistant quality or better. Doing that just takes away the wow factor.

WalterWhite
01-03-2013, 01:34 AM
A distinctive reason people found Bioshock 2 to be "bad" was because it appeared to be more of the same. You're still in Rapture, possibly expecting some huge plot twist to happen midway through your playthrough. Gameplay mechanics were tweaked a bit, and there were new enemies like the Big Sisters, but nothing groundbreaking. And the addition of a multiplayer mode made fans think that development was taken away from the singleplayer campaign.

So many people judge how future titles will perform in a franchise based on their previous experiences with older games, like they expect consistant quality or better. Doing that just takes away the wow factor.

Fair enough but it was still great in my opinion. Great music, unparalelled art style for a video game, decent story for a sequel from a different developer. Like I said, a step sideways maybe but still alot better than most games these days. I've yet to catch myself muttering, "Oh man, not another FPS-ish game in a city gone mad under the ocean...sigh."

Thai J
01-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Alot of people give Bioshock 2 shit but I will say for a sequel to a game like Bioshock where the creator wasn't involved, it was outstanding. It could have been complete garbage like sequels to most things in the world of entertainment are when it leaves the hands of it's original creator. If anything it was a step sideways but it's not like the game market is overflowing with titles as unique as Bioshock anyway.

Couldn't agree more. How do you top the greatest game ever? I think they at least gave a valiant try.