PDA

View Full Version : Driving Assist Settings and Performance

pdean52
09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi All,

General discussion on driving assists you use and how they might affect performance.

As a lover of F1 but newbie to racing sims I'm currently going TCS medium, ABS on, braking assist off, racing line corners only, manual pit stops. Think that's all of the main ones.

However I'm finding that I'm quite slow on certain circuits compared to fellow racers and the AI. On some circuits (particularly the quicker ones like Monza, Spa, etc) I am faster than others. Just wondered if my driving assist settings could be the problem or if I just need to play more to get my braking distances, corner speeds, racing lines, etc better? I'm considering going with full TCS as a lot of people seem to use this as well but I don't want to lose the experience of driving such a powerful car or further reduce my performance.

Thanks all.

Gamertag: pdean52

SneakyofSneaks
09-27-2010, 02:41 PM
TCS just stops you spinning out after applying the power out from corners might help on the tighter tracks like Monaco etc, it does help a lot getting out of the bends quicker.

Dynamic line is a funny one, sometimes I can be well in the red applying brakes and make the corner faster other times I brake in orange, it's a bit hit and miss, I only have it on for practise till I learn the track.

pdean52
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
TCS just stops you spinning out after applying the power out from corners might help on the tighter tracks like Monaco etc, it does help a lot getting out of the bends quicker.

Dynamic line is a funny one, sometimes I can be well in the red applying brakes and make the corner faster other times I brake in orange, it's a bit hit and miss, I only have it on for practise till I learn the track.

i think i might have a try tonight with full TCS and maybe ABS off. on another forum someone mentioned that ABS can make a big difference in terms of braking later. in all honesty i have been the same with the dynamic line as i find that it isn't 100% accurate at all points of the track. i dont think i'm ready to turn it off yet though as it can serve as a timely reminder sometimes to brake HARD!!

slackydave
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
only turn ABS off if you're the kinda person who brakes then turns, not brakes and turns...

Hard to explain but if you go onto a time trial and turn the ABS off then brake and turn at speed the car should just go straight forward.

so turning ABS off is a risk, you must know how to control it without over shooting the corners.

SneakyofSneaks
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah I'm a brake then turn guy, so I never have abs on.

pdean52
09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
yeah i brake then turn too so should be ok. i'll give it a try tonight.

does anyone know if turning these assists on affects performance at all though?

are faster times possible with less aids on.