PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Empire

SmoothAsEgg5
09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Really surprised I didn't see a thread about this. Currently aired its 2nd episode last Sunday on HBO. It's about the bootlegging going on in the US (mainly Atlantic City) during the Prohibition era. I believe its written by the Sopranos writer and produced by Martin Scorcese who also directed the first episode.

Pretty good stuff so far. Comments or opinions?

tehapoc
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Show's pretty well done. Definitely one of Steve Buscemi's better roles.

HarperBird
09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
First episode was brillant but felt the second episode was a bit slow and nothing major really happened! Am gunna stick with it though cause HBO are the kings of Tv dramas and this one looks like it will be just as good!!

exo-apollo
09-30-2010, 02:07 AM
First episode was brillant but felt the second episode was a bit slow and nothing major really happened! Am gunna stick with it though cause HBO are the kings of Tv dramas and this one looks like it will be just as good!!

Guy on the AV Club gave the opinion that the first episode was like filled to the brim with spectacle and now the second episode is like the night afterwards, having breakfast with the girl getting to know her.

Shootercoys
10-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Yeah im really interested in how the series will flesh out. It's interesting they're incorporating true figures of organized crime into the story lines. But next weeks episode looks really good :)

JAW LV
10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I was about to make a thread about Boardwalk when I found this.

Doesn't seem this show has much of a following on this forum. That's too bad, I have enjoyed every episode thus far and think anyone who watches the first few episodes would get hooked too.

It has a Sopranos feel to it, just set at an earlier time. I am really interested to see how far Al Capone goes in the series, can't imagine he takes orders too much longer lol :uzi:

the Damage617
10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I just recently started to download this show I got the first 4 episodes, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.. But I've heard very good things..

Spoony Bard
10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
HBO are the kings of Tv dramas

I'd argue that they've really fallen off in the last few years, losing a lot of ground to both Showtime and AMC. They produced The Wire though, so I'll never completely turn my back.

Enjoying BE so far. It has been moving kinda slow, but now that they've established more of the world (ie-the goings on in Chicago) I'm hoping the drama/action gets amped up. I figure it's only a matter of time before Nucky heeds Jimmy's advice about being a part-time gangster and steps his game up.

HarperBird
10-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd argue that they've really fallen off in the last few years, losing a lot of ground to both Showtime and AMC. They produced The Wire though, so I'll never completely turn my back.

Enjoying BE so far. It has been moving kinda slow, but now that they've established more of the world (ie-the goings on in Chicago) I'm hoping the drama/action gets amped up. I figure it's only a matter of time before Nucky heeds Jimmy's advice about being a part-time gangster and steps his game up.

The Wire is my favorite TV show ever but I do like HBO miniseries like Band of Brothers and The Pacific but i would agree that both AMC and Showtime make good TV shows, as I enjoy Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Dexter!

As for Boardwalk Empire I think it is getting better with each episode and has a similar feel to Mad Men eventhough there set in different era...

KFZ Scrubs
10-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Hmmmm, my friends and you guys have been giving this show high praise... i'm too obsessed with Dexter right now... but i might give this show a look since it's so highly touted.

ylwshakr
10-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I was about to make a thread about Boardwalk when I found this.

I was about to do the same thing. I have had it on the DVR for weeks now and just started watching them this week. So far I love it and are hooked. Great show I think.

Young Lil Teezy
11-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Been watching it since the start, definitely potential in this show. Interested in seeing how far through history they follow this for

Metro Virus
11-19-2010, 01:48 AM
It's fantastic. hope there is another season

SmoothAsEgg5
11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
SPOILERS

Lol, I loved when Jimmy capped that one guy in the head in sunday's episode. "You gonna shoot me now big guy?" "Well I wasn't going to, until you kinda talked me in to it." BOOM

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
The first season was awesome but I must admit, I had expected less depth in storyline and more action, potentially an Al Capone story becoming maybe even Sopranos in prohibition times like.

Although I had different views on what would happen with the show, its awesome and can't wait for the next season. Another great show involving Mark Wahlberg and as ever HBO.

My hopes for next season are more Jimmy and Al story though. When Al shot the gun and deafened Jimmy it was hilarious! haha.

exo-apollo
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Thought I ought to bump this thread seeing as Season Two just finished last night. What is everybody's thoughts on the final? A gutsy move no doubt, Season Three sure is going to be interesting.

Bronx
01-24-2012, 05:02 AM
one of the best shows I have seen in a long time this & homeland.

Shiftie
09-16-2012, 02:20 AM
New season starts tomorrow night! :D

xKRAIZEEMANx
09-16-2012, 02:21 AM
New season starts tomorrow night! :D

Awesome-sauce!!!

Such a great show, been waiting for the new season.

Shiftie
09-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Richard Harrow = awesome. 'nuff said.

KFZ Scrubs
01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Hmmmm, my friends and you guys have been giving this show high praise... i'm too obsessed with Dexter right now... but i might give this show a look since it's so highly touted.

Wow... almost 2 years have gone by.... and this show is amazing.
I watched all three season this winter break and I could not stop watching it.
Just amazing!
Loudon Wainwright III - Carrickfergus - YouTube

I hope they put more emphasis on Richard Harrow because he's by far the best character.
Also, Jimmy's mom isn't dead FYI

Takamura Bear
01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Begun watching this about a month ago. A few episodes into season 2 right now and this is a good show. Even though there is a heavy emphasis on "wardrobe" at least the core of the show has real substance in the script and the writing, unlike Mad Men.

Although I find myself not really caring or being drawn to Nucky as a character that much. This is most likely because I'm more interested in Al Capone's character and development than anything. Stephen Graham completely fucking owns this show and could easily be the main protagonist.

A shockingly underrated and under appreciated British actor right there. Not bad for a Liverpudlian.

This Is England - Shop Scene - YouTube

KFZ Scrubs
01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Begun watching this about a month ago. A few episodes into season 2 right now and this is a good show. Even though there is a heavy emphasis on "wardrobe" at least the core of the show has real substance in the script and the writing, unlike Mad Men.

Although I find myself not really caring or being drawn to Nucky as a character that much. This is most likely because I'm more interested in Al Capone's character and development than anything. Stephen Graham completely fucking owns this show and could easily be the main protagonist.

A shockingly underrated and under appreciated British actor right there. Not bad for a Liverpudlian.

This Is England - Shop Scene - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pL6iuw-g0)

Didn't even know he was British... good stuff.
As for Capone... big stuff is in for him, Luciano and Lansky.
I mean, history wise, they're some of the biggest men to ever walk on the scene... .and they just feel like minor characters right now.
I feel like in the coming season though, those three men will really pop on the show. I can tell because there roles have grown since the first season

Shiftie
01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Up until season 3 I loved the show. Most of season 3 seemed to drag on way too long, and I agree with the comments about Richard Harrow needing a bigger role, and Nucky being less interesting than many of the other people in the show. I think I still have an episode or two to watch, however.

I also like ex-agent Nelson's character...hopefully he becomes an enforcer or something next season, I think he'd fit that job well.

KFZ Scrubs
01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Up until season 3 I loved the show. Most of season 3 seemed to drag on way too long, and I agree with the comments about Richard Harrow needing a bigger role, and Nucky being less interesting than many of the other people in the show. I think I still have an episode or two to watch, however.

I also like ex-agent Nelson's character...hopefully he becomes an enforcer or something next season, I think he'd fit that job well.

I heard that Nelson does for the North Side gangster.
I agree though... I was kind of sad on season three because I thought they wouldn't resolve the Gyp matter because they didn't start striking back till the end of episode 9/10... then they just fast forwarded all the gang violence.
I can't wait to see season 4.... the show is amazing

PenderPowguin
09-18-2013, 07:14 PM
8 Months have passed, and no discussion on BWE.

What with the new season out, anyone else love this show? I mean c'mon, Steve Buscemi's the man!

Shiftie
09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
8 Months have passed, and no discussion on BWE.

What with the new season out, anyone else love this show? I mean c'mon, Steve Buscemi's the man!
I tried to watch the first episode of the season the other night now that episode 2 is out and realized I don't remember a lot of what happened last season, so I'm holding off until I rewatch the last few episodes x.x

Inebriated Jedi
09-24-2013, 07:02 AM
I started watching the show a few months ago; I'm nearly done with the third season now. Richard is probably my favorite character.

PenderPowguin
10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I started watching the show a few months ago; I'm nearly done with the third season now. Richard is probably my favorite character.

Yeah, he definitely was my favorite by the end of the 3rd as well :)

This new season is pretty tasty, and is building up nicely. Al Capone is insane.

PenderPowguin
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
No one like gangster stories from the early 1900's?

I'm enjoying watching all of the Chalky White action, it's gonna get pretty good here real soon. No Capone action though, perhaps next week.

Inebriated Jedi
10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
No one like gangster stories from the early 1900's?

I'm enjoying watching all of the Chalky White action, it's gonna get pretty good here real soon. No Capone action though, perhaps next week.

I've been kinda busy, so I haven't seen the new episodes yet. I'll have to get working on that.

PenderPowguin
11-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Pretty decent episode this week. You can really see the build-up of fuck-you-up-sauce, ready to spill over onto the lives of the many within.

Chalky is about to go to war (or die, perhaps). Al Capone is a fucking madman (nothing new there). Nelson (former prohibition agent) has finally snapped. I'm glad to see more Richard, even though it's not his usual 'I'm murdering mass amount of people' role (though, he does advance on Nucky, asking for work... I can imagine what Nucky will have in store for Richard).

Eli's obviously fishing for information from Nucky... betrayal for supposedly protecting his own son (foolish bastard). And no telling what that busty blonde gal has planned for Nucky... she gon' try kill him? But why? Who is she, really?

I'm enjoying the events transpiring thus far. If you guys haven't seen the show yet, you should give it a shot! There's plenty of backlog to keep you busy, and seriously, who doesn't like gangsters from the days of old?

PenderPowguin
11-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Sometimes it feels like I'm talking to myself in here, lol.

Tonight's episode was fucking awesome! If you guys aren't watching this show yet, I strongly implore you to do so! War is coming, and it's already getting real bloody.

PenderPowguin
11-26-2013, 05:27 AM
I realize that I'm just talking to myself here, but God Damn, this week's show was intense.

You guys are really doing a dis-service to your own entertainment by avoiding this program. It's fucking amazing.

In the event anyone is keeping track:

I can't believe Richard is gone :( Surely one of my favorite characters. It was truly an exhilarating episode. So much shit went down, and next week should be delicious. I'm glad that stupid little bitch Agent died... he had it coming for many episodes.

Emperor 95
11-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I realize that I'm just talking to myself here, but God Damn, this week's show was intense.

You guys are really doing a dis-service to your own entertainment by avoiding this program. It's fucking amazing.

In the event anyone is keeping track:

I can't believe Richard is gone :( Surely one of my favorite characters. It was truly an exhilarating episode. So much shit went down, and next week should be delicious. I'm glad that stupid little bitch Agent died... he had it coming for many episodes.

Im just on S3E3. And so god help me Pender, everything was nearly ruined with this quote. I had to quickly scroll down to avoid the spoilers!!!

PenderPowguin
11-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Im just on S3E3. And so god help me Pender, everything was nearly ruined with this quote. I had to quickly scroll down to avoid the spoilers!!!

Heh, that's why I put it in a spoiler tag! Never click the spoiler tag unless you've seen all that there is to see thus far!

Knowing that someone else is watching the show, I'll be sure to include such tags in the future to save you, and anyone else from information not yet seen.

Emperor 95
11-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Heh, that's why I put it in a spoiler tag! Never click the spoiler tag unless you've seen all that there is to see thus far!

Knowing that someone else is watching the show, I'll be sure to include such tags in the future to save you, and anyone else from information not yet seen.

I didn't click the tag; although i was crazy tempted to!
It's just that when i clicked quote (on you) it brings up the format of spoiler tag= insert plot twists here!!!! It was a close shave.

ok heres some short points.
-Nucky -Gotta love Nuck for obvious reasons, although i don't know why he's such an arsehole to eddie!
-Richard -Second fav. despite the blowing peoples heads off, his character just seems to demand sympathy. mostly due to his loneliness (hope that changes)
-Van Olden -Hes one creepy futherfucker! i think it was Mickey(?) who summed it up perfectly with "i dont like the way you loom"
-Mags -Used to like her, until she boinked Owen. Just came out the blue.
-Rothstein -I love how composed he is, always. oh, and hes quite good at pool.

in short, another gem from HBO!

Emperor 95
12-13-2013, 01:38 PM
HOLY SHIT!!! Just watched the season 4 finale. That was epic.
Chalkie White gonna be in rage mode next season.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! RRIIIICCCHHHAAARRRRDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!