PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most outta the tyres

slackydave
09-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I personally find it really annoying when i get told to pit on lap 4 when i knows my lap times aren't getting worse they're getting better and the grip doesn't seem to have gone.

does everyone just pit when they're told?

I usually do the shortest race possible and on say like a 13 lap race i'll leave it until around lap 7 or 8 until i pit because until then my lap times seem to get better and better.

How long do the option tyres last before they start losing grip?

OctagonQontrol
09-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Before a race, you can adjust your pit-strategy... On a 20% race, I usually wait until last lap to pit to build a big lead and then do a slower outlap on the new tires.

The green-stripe tyres dont last 15 laps usually when track is over 27 degrees Centigrade. Intermediate wets I have never driven yet but they seem very very slippery if you compare them to full wet (even on a moderate rainy track).

Basically, if you quali in front, do a pit-strategy as late as possible, if you quali on the back, come in in lap 1, get the change and finish the race.

/edit: full wet tyres usually get their grip & temps after lap 7 or 8, as long as the weather stays the same. On Montreal I kept improving lap after lap on these.

slackydave
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
thanks, i'm going to try leaving it til the last lap on my next race.

SneakyofSneaks
09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Yep I set it to the longest possible stint and use the radio when I want to come in.

NinjaPhilly
09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
OP, are you positive that Tyre Wear is turned on? Doesn't from what you're describing.

Nathan LS27
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah it sounds like you dont have tyre wear on, it only applies to expert difficulty in career mode.

jacobite
09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah I played a couple of gps with settings up and got a warning for doing my usual race strat of pitting 2/3 laps from the end, said my tyres would be worn out by then,

13 lap race so is tyre degradation (sp?) accelerated to match race length? like x2 for a 50% race? option tyres would have lasted 10 laps im sure on a normal race.

defiant4eva
10-05-2010, 05:21 AM
The tire degradation is matched to how long a race you pick. So if you pick options your tires will last 30%-45%and prime about 55%-80% of the race depending on track temp, track tire degradation and how well you treat them.

~the DON'Ts
Hard cornering, spinning out,a bad car setup, hitting barriers, running off track, turning while braking, locking up under braking and running on the curbs is going to ruin your tires fast.

~the DO's
Try to be smooth and soft with you turning, if you are finding you need to turn hard, chances are your going to fast. Steadily increase your speed coming out of corners don't just jab the accelerator. When braking, again start braking softly and increase. Never turn while braking, not only does it ruin your tires, it also reduces your braking effience. Also, try and stay on the racing line. It will give you the best line for the track, but once the track starts to rubber in, Your tires will last longer.

~Practice
Pick a track you were bad at (mine was catalunya) run 5 laps on the option and then on the prime and take note of the tire percentage left on the tires. Then using the do's and don't, run the circuit using new tires both prime and option until you think you have improved. Then put on a new set of prime and option and run 5 laps again and see the difference.

Hope this helps

VileBabas
10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
What happens if i dont pit at all?? Will i get penalized or even disqualified??

SneakyofSneaks
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
What happens if i dont pit at all?? Will i get penalized or even disqualified??

Depends if it's a wet race no, if it's a dry race and don't swap tyres then yes (you need to use both option and prime)

VileBabas
10-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Ok thanks, was just "planning" ahead for when i try Expert mode...

Suki
10-10-2010, 10:04 AM
worst thing ever playing expert pitting in and then coming out in second just to find out the car in front is like 15 seconds ahead and the game is bugged and the 1st place car misses out its pit stop completely and wins on there original tyres :(

lenny m
10-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I dont. When it is close, i would leave to the last possible moment