PDA

View Full Version : Higher difficulty is easier

defiant4eva
10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Has anyone noticed the higher the difficulty the easier it seems to get.
I started my first year in a Lotus on easy with all assists, as am not the best at car games.

About halfway through I moved to medium, as it was boring and no challenge finishing first all the time. I noticed a big diffrence in the difficulty, it was easier. I put it down to manual braking and getting use to the game.

So now on my second season I moved it to Hard for more of a challenge. I just posted a 1:14:576 on prime tires at montreal and the AI was 5.6 sec slower than my time.

Has anyone else noticed this?

BrassBallz
10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I am a racing veteran and I race with custom settings.

7-year Career / Lotus Starting Team
Manual shift, ABS, Medium Traction, Intermediate AI, Sim Tires & Fuel

With these settings, and I am a very good racer, I found it difficult to place higher than 4th with average finish of 4th-8th. Really, it's the AI settings that seem to make the biggest difference. Oh, and I never use Flashbacks.

defiant4eva
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
The AI difficulty on Hard is professional, that is one step up on intermadiate.

So why on easy am I .5 secs quicker than AI, on medium 1.5 secs quicker and on hard around 3.5-5.3 secs quicker. At this rate by the time I get to expert which is legend AI, I will be 6-7 secs quicker.

I can only think the game reduces the AI lap speed, too balance of the reduced assists you are allowed.

vithzeral
10-05-2010, 11:07 PM
I think you are not changing the AI difficulty; its a separate setting in the menu so even though you are putting the assists on "Hard" the AI is probably still set to Amateur.

Shelton
10-06-2010, 01:32 AM
I would like to point out that the AI are better at some tracks than others. At Montreal, they're easy beats. At Catalunya, they are unbelievable. Win at Catalunya on expert, then you can complain.

Do you have tyre wear on? I've noticed, from racing online with my brother (with legendary AI) that without tyre wear on we can easily beat them. If we put it on, we get nowhere near them.

defiant4eva
10-06-2010, 03:18 AM
I think you are not changing the AI difficulty; its a separate setting in the menu so even though you are putting the assists on "Hard" the AI is probably still set to Amateur.

Yes I have changed the AI difficulty.

I would like to point out that the AI are better at some tracks than others. At Montreal, they're easy beats. At Catalunya, they are unbelievable. Win at Catalunya on expert, then you can complain.

Do you have tyre wear on? I've noticed, from racing online with my brother (with legendary AI) that without tyre wear on we can easily beat them. If we put it on, we get nowhere near them.

The only assists I was using on Professional and Legend AI was race line on corners, ABS and TC on full and I ran 30% races. Most races I would finish around 50-80 secs ahead of the AI and on Hockenheim I lapped every car except Rosberg who was second, but still 79 secs behind.

Tonight I raced and won Montreal, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenhiem, Budapest, Spa, Monza and Singapore. Changing between Pro and Legend per race.

Now I was planning to get my third season out the way before starting Expert with Legend AI, but am going to practice my last 4 races on expert on my second season. Then move on to Expert on season 3 The only missing assist that is probably going to cause me problems is the racing line.

Also Shelton, I was not complaining. I was asking if anyone else had noticed that the higher AI was easier.

Shelton
10-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Now I was planning to get my third season out the way before starting Expert with Legend AI, but am going to practice my last 4 races on expert on my second season. Then move on to Expert on season 3 The only missing assist that is probably going to cause me problems is the racing line.

I think you might be in for a rude awakening when you go from full TC to none. You cannot take corners in the same manner as you would with it on. Too much throttle, you'll spin. Ride the kerb, you'll spin. I can't remember, but does expert difficulty turn on simulation settings? If so, you didn't answer my question in regards to the tyre wear. Unless you consider those assists?

Also Shelton, I was not complaining. I was asking if anyone else had noticed that the higher AI was easier.

I was saying you could complain, if you were beating the AI at Catalunya. Didn't say you were complaining. The topic title doesn't have a question mark though, so it's more of a statement.:p

defiant4eva
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
@Shelton
Am not looking to complain, am curious to see if anyone else had noticed what I had noticed. Also maybe point out that Legend AI is not the monster that people think it is.

I did consider Tire sim to be an assist. So to stop further confusion. My game setup was as followed
Difficulty custom
Brake off
ABS on
TC full
Race line corners only (not having these is my weakness)
Gears manual
pit limiter auto (I know setting these on manual will result in a quicker pit stop, am lazy)
pit control auto
tire sim on
fuel sim on
Damage full
can't remember warnings or penalties
AI professional-legend

Lack of ABS or TC does not bother me. Using a higher gear to power out of a corner or softly increasing power, instead of hammering on the power. You can also try to get the perfect line out of the corners, before applying power.

Watch any real F1 race since TC was banned and in hard corners. The drivers never apply any power through the corners until they are coming out of the corner at more or less a straight line. As for curbs, well stay off them. You only tend to spin on curbs if your are applying heavy power.

I do agree with you, that tackling legend AI on expert mode is not going to be a walk in the park.
But thats not what I was originally pointing out. I was originally pointing out that Higher AI is easier than Lower AI. So when It comes to doing the Expert achievement. You won't be racing an AI that is 3x quicker as well as lack of ABS TC etc etc.

If you still don't believe me start up a new career game with what ever setting you like. Do the first race and reply it on the AI inter, then Prof and finally Leg, you will see the difference. Also watch there Times.

Tonight I will be finishing off my second season on expert difficulty. With 4 races to go, I will update the results of the races.

Sanction
10-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I am a racing veteran and I race with custom settings.

7-year Career / Lotus Starting Team
Manual shift, ABS, Medium Traction, Intermediate AI, Sim Tires & Fuel

With these settings, and I am a very good racer, I found it difficult to place higher than 4th with average finish of 4th-8th. Really, it's the AI settings that seem to make the biggest difference. Oh, and I never use Flashbacks.

I drive Lotus too. Woo.

I have manual gears, no abs, medium traction, professional ai, sim fuel and tyres and I have 10 wins in my first season. I'll be cranking it up to Expert next season.

Barad
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Call me crazy but I seem to find it harder as I put the difficulty higher.

defiant4eva
10-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Ok sorry about the late update.
I used a long weekend and 30% race, Also had to restart the race once, because I locked up on the last chicane on lap 1, flew over the corner and got a DSQ.

I raced at Suzuka only last night. Getting use to expert took me more time than I thought. I Qualified 3rd (option tires) and finished 1st in the race. Dry race if you were wondering.

It took me longer to adjust to no race line than anything else. As I had originally said Legend AI was no problem. I will admit they defend more when cornering, which is when I like to pass them. A late brake, under cut them and nudge them out the way. 90% penalty free. I did get a drive through when I did it to Teflonso at turn 13, but no surprise there.

I started 3rd, dropped to 5th after the start (AI are strong off the grid), lap 5 had a DT. That dropped me to 9th. Pitted next lap, dropped me to 11th. Then took back 1st on the last corner. AI,s lap time was 1:39-1:40. Where as AI's lap time on Inter was around 1:36-1:37.

Overall with the penalty and poor start, it made it a bit of a challenge. Yes no assist don't make it easy, but with the AI IMO lap times weaker in higher difficulties. Going for the expert achievement "WORLD CHAMPION-EXPERT" not a hard as it's been made out to be. Practice will be needed to learn tracks and if you are strugling with no ABS or TC. Longer races also help IMO, to gain a position back, if lost and also to manage your tires and pit stops.

Believe me or not. I was just trying to help!

Kutip
10-08-2010, 12:39 AM
The thing is, the game has kind of two options for difficulty.
1. the normal one, where you set the AI's difficulty
2. easy- and hard-mode, or as called ingame "tyre wear"

if you set tyre wear on or off, doesn't matter for the AI, since they seem to have it of anyway.
I experimented with the settings and the laptimes of the AI didn't change at all (went to menu, changed settings and started race again).
result: i got way less grip after turning tyre wear on, lapping 2-3 seconds slower, while the AI continued to race around the track with their tires glued to the asphalt.

defiant4eva
10-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I experimented with the settings and the laptimes of the AI didn't change at all (went to menu, changed settings and started race again).
result: i got way less grip after turning tyre wear on, lapping 2-3 seconds slower, while the AI continued to race around the track with their tires glued to the asphalt.

Tyre and fuel sim on do make a big difference to your car handling. You can adjust your car setup to make up for the slight loss of grip. Also remember you can adjust your front wing 3 or 4 times during a race. To get more spend out of the straights set it down, more grip in the corners set it up.

With expert, the key is to be consistant. I don't even worry about qualifying in a good position. get your corners and gears right and you will start to gain positions. Also run a race on expert in Grand prix mode of the race you are about to do, to give yourself a bit of practise at racing the track.

UnderclassGDfan
10-09-2010, 12:44 AM
My settings:
Expert difficulty except fuel sim (it's definitly buggy and I wait for the patch) and AI is on professional.
100% race distance.
Had many trouble in my first 3 races in Lotus, but now it's ok.
Legend is definitly harder and easy is really easy IMO...

pined5551
10-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Call me crazy but I seem to find it harder as I put the difficulty higher.

That's just bizzare, lol :p

EDIT: Well, i just started my 3rd season and went from Toro Rosso to Force India. I switched the difficulty up to pro (i have all assists off apart from breaking zones) and have just won all 4 of the first 4 races. This is the first time i have done this. Malaysia was in heavy rain too. I can only aggree with the OP based on this data, lol.

LFC2K6
10-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I thought this was madness but, I went back to my career a few days ago. Which had AI on amateur, so I decided to turn it all the way up to Legend difficulty and make it a challenge. This was at Catalunya, since then I've won from pole at Catalunya, Monaco and Montreal. I did get pole and finish 1st at Istanbul too, but was given a 10 second penalty for taking Webber out(It was his fault, he always gets in my way!) so I dropped down to 2nd.
Valencia is the race that showed it up the most for me though, I qualified 9th, but was given 2, 5 place grid penalties. Both at the same place on the track, just after the hairpin in sector 3 there's a series of very high speed right turns. For some reason the AI brake in the middle of them! So twice I was following behind cars, 1 Webber(again) and 1 Di grassi(my own team mate!) that put the brake on giving me no time to react and I just smash into the back of them. Giving me a penalty each time :(

I thought, maybe they were both on out laps. It won't happen in the race, but no.
I start 19th and in a 20% distance race, managed to make it up to 5th. Passing almost everyone at the section I just described. I never did anything special and I was in a Virgin car! Had I been in a Red bull I think I could've won the race too.

Anyone that's raced with me in the x360a GP knows I'm not the greatest driver of all time so I think yes, maybe the AI is too easy.

o H i T M a N z
10-10-2010, 08:20 AM
It seems to me that the higher you set the difficulty the harder it becomes to drive your own car, the other cars always seem to be about the same speed.

I won the drivers championship in my 1st season on medium difficulty in the Lotus.

2nd season i put it on the hardest level, i couldnt go any faster than 1:59:00 in Bahrain driving the Ferrari, a good 2 seconds of the pace and i qualified 14th :(

massive183
10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
did my 1st 2 season on easy just found it boring but will be going for the legend achiement over a season now

defiant4eva
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
It seems to me that the higher you set the difficulty the harder it becomes to drive your own car, the other cars always seem to be about the same speed.

I won the drivers championship in my 1st season on medium difficulty in the Lotus.

2nd season i put it on the hardest level, i couldnt go any faster than 1:59:00 in Bahrain driving the Ferrari, a good 2 seconds of the pace and i qualified 14th :(

I think the ferrari car is a hateful car to drive or glitched. When ever I drive it online, I lose. I am always off pace, can never take corners like other cars I drive can. Maybe it just does not suit my driving style or it's been tainted by Teflonso.

If you have moved on to full expert with all assists off and all sims on, then you will need to be aware of a few things. Your Lotus car setup will not be suited for the Ferrari. Not all setups posted of some other sites, will A, suit your driving style. B, setup with no of assists. C, suit the car you are using.

So I Build a car setup around my own driving style and type of car that am driving. If you are having problems with the lack of traction control. Which most people seem to be having problems with.
Am writing a Expert difficulty driving and car setup hint and tips. Am about halfway through will post it when complete.