PDA

View Full Version : GFWL + Mac questions

AltruismIsDead
10-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I recently picked up some Games for Windows Live that were on clearance (Bioshock 2, Dawn of War II) and a couple other games DoW II Chaos Rising and Dead Rising 2.

Well the question is, and hopefully someone might have done this before, but will some of these games run straight, or run at all if I install Windows XP/Vista or 7 on my Macbook Pro?

My desktop PC that I use for gaming is torn apart and is a bit outdated so I really don't want to set it all back up again and upgrade it if I have to, even though I am sure it'd play those games fine. Basically I am comfortable with my current setup.

Now towards the system spec side of things, my Macbook Pro is a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3 and has a Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics card. So on the spec side of things it would appear all games should possibly run since I believe it meets all the requirements. I am just wondering if anyone has ran any GFWL on their Macbook successfully, if they came across any problems, what to expect, etc?

titoboy
10-06-2010, 01:05 AM
I recently picked up some Games for Windows Live that were on clearance (Bioshock 2, Dawn of War II) and a couple other games DoW II Chaos Rising and Dead Rising 2.

Well the question is, and hopefully someone might have done this before, but will some of these games run straight, or run at all if I install Windows XP/Vista or 7 on my Macbook Pro?

My desktop PC that I use for gaming is torn apart and is a bit outdated so I really don't want to set it all back up again and upgrade it if I have to, even though I am sure it'd play those games fine. Basically I am comfortable with my current setup.

Now towards the system spec side of things, my Macbook Pro is a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3 and has a Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics card. So on the spec side of things it would appear all games should possibly run since I believe it meets all the requirements. I am just wondering if anyone has ran any GFWL on their Macbook successfully, if they came across any problems, what to expect, etc?

I just picked up a copy of Halo 2 for the PC and it plays fine on the Mac with vista (it was the only OS i had lying around)

AltruismIsDead
10-06-2010, 02:08 AM
I just picked up a copy of Halo 2 for the PC and it plays fine on the Mac with vista (it was the only OS i had lying around)

Cool, I'll have to see if I can find a copy of Halo 2 for a decent price as well since doesn't that have achievements too?

So you didn't have any issues with it at all? Do you have to run it in a lower resolution or turn down some of the graphic options etc? Or it just runs fine all around?

AltruismIsDead
10-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I also should ask for those of you that do run windows on a mac, what programs do you use as well?

Do you just use the normal Boot Camp that comes with OS X? Or do you use something different like Parallels or VMware Fusion, or something else? Then also what version of windows would probably work best for running GFWL? XP, Vista or Windows 7?

Damn, here I thought picking up these games on clearance would net me some easy achievement points but now it's turning out to be a bigger headache then I thought :-/

I can't find my copy of Windows XP that I bought a while back, I dunno if I'll be able to install my parents copy of Vista that came with their laptop since I think it's only a restoration disc, and to add to more problems, I can't properly partition my HD on my Macbook, I have to first backup my data, format my HD and then re-install my backed up data, but the problem with that is I am missing 2 of my external portable HD's and the other external hard drive that I do have with my other backed up data needs to be formatted for the mac and I can't lose that data...

So now it looks like I am going to have to invest in a new portable hard drive if I can't find my other 2 shortly, probably purchase a new copy of windows along with either Parallels or VMware which runs $80 alone for that software.... fuck roughly figuring this out in my head it's going to cost me a small fortune just to get a couple $8 clearance games on my mac and thats not even knowing 100% for sure if they'll run straight.

Ugh... I might just be better off just putting back together my old pc and installing the stuff on there, unless my brother has a portable HD I can use and a copy of windows, suppose I can manage with using book camp /end rant

Minty
10-06-2010, 03:35 AM
I just set this up today. I just used the regular bootcamp process. I got hold of a full version of Windows 7 and installed that. It told me I had to back-up my Mac and all that crap the first time I tried partioning, but turning it off and back on fixed that (guess it knew it was going to get Windows :p).

As soon as I was done I download the GFWL software, connected that up and downloaded Tinker. Then tried running the F1 game but it wouldn't due to graphics. Just installing all the drivers from my Mac install disks, and after that jobs done.

I only did it so I could get some points at work...turns out you need to have an internet connection for GFWL to work...and my Mac isn't hooked up. Great way to spend a day lol.

AltruismIsDead
10-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I just set this up today. I just used the regular bootcamp process. I got hold of a full version of Windows 7 and installed that. It told me I had to back-up my Mac and all that crap the first time I tried partioning, but turning it off and back on fixed that (guess it knew it was going to get Windows :p).

As soon as I was done I download the GFWL software, connected that up and downloaded Tinker. Then tried running the F1 game but it wouldn't due to graphics. Just installing all the drivers from my Mac install disks, and after that jobs done.

I only did it so I could get some points at work...turns out you need to have an internet connection for GFWL to work...and my Mac isn't hooked up. Great way to spend a day lol.

I'll have to try the restart and make sure nothing is running, good thinking on that ;)

But I did have it set up on my old Mac book (which I gave to my brother) and had GFWL with Tinker, Wheres Waldo, Mahjong Wisdom and I think a few others. I original thought when I transferred my old stuff onto my new Mac that it was along with it, but unfortunately not :( can't wait for windows phone 7 achievements on the go! :D