PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons to Buying a New/Used Console?

5Alive
10-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Currently I have no Xbox, and was just wondering your opinions/ideas on this topic. I've already got a few pros/cons in mind and want to see if you guys have any of your own. Here goes:

New:
PROS:

It's new
I suspect it comes with a month of LIVE?

CONS

Expensive (about $280 CDN)

Old:
PROS:

Cheaper ($195 CDN)

CONS:

No Headset
No month of LIVE

So what do you think?

EmporerDragon
10-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Major Con for used: You have no idea what condition the system is in.

Fire Hawk D
10-05-2010, 11:28 PM
It really depends how you buy, who you buy it from, and if you're lucky or not. I bought mine off eBay from a seller with almost no feedback. This was also less than a week before the massive ban hammer came down from Microsoft on modded consoles. But, in the end, it worked like a charm, was in great condition, and I STILL have it.

messytacos
10-06-2010, 12:27 AM
I would not even think about getting a used one, you have no idea what it has been through or how it was treated. Spend the extra bit of cash it will be worth it in the end.

bapae
10-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Currently I have no Xbox, and was just wondering your opinions/ideas on this topic. I've already got a few pros/cons in mind and want to see if you guys have any of your own. Here goes:

New:
PROS:

It's new
Has warranty
Guaranteed to work
0 miles on it
Headset
Controller
HDD

CONS

Expensive (about $280 CDN)

Old:
PROS:

Cheaper ($195 CDN)

CONS:

No Headset
No month of LIVE
possibility of no HDD
Disk tray could stick
Could have disk reading problems
Not 100% chance of working
Could have loads of play time
Could RRoD shortly after getting it
Don't know if its been abused or in a smokers household or full of dust.

That should make it more clear on my choice. I would go new. but its up to you.

5Alive
10-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I know for a fact that the used consoles (there are 3) have hard drives, all 120 seeing as they're Elites. I have also kind of mulled it over and I think I'll go with the New. Now that I think of it, there's no telling how sketchy some of them may be. By the way, thanks for the list bapae

bapae
10-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I know for a fact that the used consoles (there are 3) have hard drives, all 120 seeing as they're Elites. I have also kind of mulled it over and I think I'll go with the New. Now that I think of it, there's no telling how sketchy some of them may be. By the way, thanks for the list bapae No problem ive had some friends buy some messed up used consoles. Whenever i need a new console i always i buy the new one. Remember better safe then sorry.

TeaWhiteWith2
10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
If it is your first, then buy new. Depending on how old a 2nd hand one is, it'll be more susceptible to RROD. The brand new one won't have this, methinks.

rvlution
10-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I would suggest buying new. You're guaranteed that it will run.

TacticalTodger
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I would class this as a good pro who but knows.

FREE DLC if they're dumb lol.

vgfanatic1
10-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Er, I don't see why it shouldn't come with a headset? Well, i guess it depends where you get it from. I personally got mine used on craigslist 3 years ago, got a great deal (20g model with plug and play, 1 controller, hdmi [not sure if its included], as well as the wireless adapter which is $80 itself, for $270) and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Guess it depends on luck and who your buying from though.