PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Noob

BlueWolf
10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not much of a racing game type, I'm not bad with arcade racers like Burnout Paradise etc, but really wanted to try this game as I loved the old F1 fames on ps2.

My issue is I just cant seem to get to grips with it, theres no help for new players really,

I'm playing a season as Lotus, on easy mode, all assists on and after the first 2 races i thought I was doing ok, as I was outperforming my team mate and meeting my objectives, However the 3rd careers race in Malaysia is destroying me. I just seem to grind to a halt in corners. I've read that some complained the easy settings were too easy and they were walking races just holding RT but I'm really struggling.

Ha anyone got any tips? I really want to stick with this game but its almost too hardcore racing for me.

I've read that if the racing line is red I'm going too fast into a corner, but braking doesnt seem to change it and I seem to crawl round big corners

Please help

JB x360a
10-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Turn off brake assist, although this can be helpful and like you say people can just hold down :rtbut: it also slows you down way too early and for way to long.

Nanbag
10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
more than likely if you have the braking assist on and you have taken the correct line into a corner then the speed your car is going at is the quickest you can take that corner.

look at the speedo when turning, typically a sharp turn can be done at around 60/70mph (note some tracks like moncao you will do a corner at around 30/40) depending on the track but it feels like the car is going a lot slower, but thats just your perception of it after hitting the brakes hard after doing 200 odd.

if your speedo is correct i think you are just taking the wrong line into a corner, even an inch or so either side of the line will affect your top cornering speed, try to keep the top bit of the engine cooling duct in the middle of the line.

as you mentioned with all the assists on this game is a breeze if you have traction control, manual gears and braking assist off than your lap times will increase significantly. even just taking the braking assist off will increase your speed as the AI tends to brake too early and keep on the brakes when you dont need to.

hope this helps.

EDIT: also note to take your finger off the left trigger when turning in as the car will turn into the corner a lot quicker because the brakes wont lock up. its just a matter of controlling the car around the corner with the use of the triggers...well try that at first, personally im off the accelerator when im braking and off the brake as i turn in with the right trigger slightly on when the car stops twitching or doesnt twitch at all i go full throttle out of the corner (if you try to accelerate full throttle when the car is twitching you WILL spin, only way to stop it is if you see the car going early, coem off the throttle, go opposite lock, full throttle, off the throttle, when the car is straight slowly come back onto the accelerator. this is a good combination learn off by heart as you will need to perform those steps in about half a second to stop the otherwise inevitable spin)

LFC2K6
10-07-2010, 10:33 AM
The racing line turning red is an indication of where you should start slowing down, you don't always have to brake. For example the fast chicane in Melbourne, the racing line would have you believe you break there when infact you hardly have to come off the accelerator.

It does sound like you need help "feathering the throttle"
From the sound of it, when you come to a corner you just brake then turn the wheel until you're out of the corner then apply power. However most corners you can slightly keep the trigger(I assume you're on a pad) pressed and you'll maintain some speed, you can also start back on full power halfway through the corner. The key is to go slow in to the corner, and only put full power on when you know you don't have to take it off. You should always come out the corner faster than you went in.

Last thing I can think of for now, remember that this is an F1 car. It will have 10x the performance of most road cars would have. So your burnout experience is irrelevant to this game. This car has unbelievable grip at high speeds and that takes some time to get used to.
Just fully utilise the practice mode before each grand prix, try going into corners at higher speeds than you think are possible to see if it sticks, if it doesn't then you've learnt it's not possible to take the corner at such a speed, so next time try it a little slower.

Hope this helps!

f1ferrari
10-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Practise makes purfect, however the key to F1 is to know your limits, but also know your cars limits. the lotus handles badly, you'll find that out when u switch everything off, shanghai the AI are not as "dumb" as they are on some other tracks, this probably wont be the last time you struggle. expect similar in China and Monaco, well, I say Monaco, the problem here will be the pits, I went from 6th to 22nd, but I don't play on easy so this might be all wrong lol.

As I said before, use the practise sessions to push the car to it's limit, don't worry if you crash out, it's part of learning what the car can do. just remember not to repeat, many people complain about Monaco, but it's a fairly simple track needing calm smooth driving it's a constant smooth rhythm throughout.
Let us know how you get on.

BlueWolf
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Cheers guys.

I tried taking brake assist off on the 3rd career race. but kept going off. Its really starting to annoy me.

I'm pretty happy with basic corners and that, but sharper corners are just too much. With braking assist I seem to just slow right down.

I think i'll stick with the assists for now till i get used to it, but do Is till need to apply the brakes manually at any point?, i always ease off the throttle going into a corner and hit it as I'm going through the turn

f1ferrari
10-07-2010, 11:18 AM
to be honest, get into the habit of braking...wow i could not imagine racing and not breaking lol.

BlueWolf
10-07-2010, 11:21 AM
to be honest, get into the habit of braking...wow i could not imagine racing and not breaking lol.

even with the assists?

Problem is cos I play arcade games I more sued to just easing the Throttle and gliding through

f1ferrari
10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't play with assists on, does it brake for you? someone enlighten me here. I understand what ur saying, just I have no idea.
if you don't attempt to break how are you going to learn when you could break later and move on to switching them off, does F12010 do all the braking for you??

BlueWolf
10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't play with assists on, does it brake for you? someone enlighten me here. I understand what ur saying, just I have no idea.
if you don't attempt to break how are you going to learn when you could break later and move on to switching them off, does F12010 do all the braking for you??

Itd eos seem to brake for you yes, but I wasnt sure if it was just an assist in the way you still need to apply the brakes at times for the optimum turn etc.

I've carried on with the assists and easing the throttle for now till I get to grips, amazinglky I've knocked 6 seconds off my times on Kuala Lumpur now lol

LFC2K6
10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
What you could do is, go on time trial and pick a track. Use a mcclaren and see what time you can set. After 10 or so clean laps back out and check your friends leaderboard to see where you stack up.
If you're still behind someone, download their ghost car to see where they are making up time on you.