PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying new hard drive

ChromiumDragon
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I got a 360 recently from a buddy of mine, but it only came with a 15 GB Hard drive -- which I'll likely fill up in a matter of weeks.

I've already got a couple of XBL games downloaded that me and my son play.

I know that if I were to buy a whole new console, I'd have to re-download the games, and unless I re-purchased them, I'd only be able to play them if I were signed into XBL. My son's account wouldn't have access to them at all.

But what about upgrading my HD? Does the same thing apply? If I buy a much larger HD and use a data transfer cable to migrate everything, would I still have to sign into XBL to play my games? Would my son still have full access to them like he does now even if he's not signed in?

I'm probably not going to pick up the new HD for a couple of weeks at least, and want to know if I should hold off on buying any more XBL games until after I buy the new drive.

oO Renf Oo
10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I've just recently done exactly the same thing and migrated all of my data from a 15gb to a 120gb...And all of my DLC works fine...Both online and off (on my partners account)....However, I don't wanna be held responsible for anything going wrong...So i'm gonna say hold off buying anymore, since it's not gonna be too long until you buy the new HD...And you already have games to play with your son atm... ;)

mrbonelly
10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Hard Drive swaps/upgrades will not matter. The only thing that will not transfer to the new one are installed retail games and marketplace data.

DRM(digital rights management[?]) licenses are only an issue if you swap consoles. Everything that you buy on the marketplace is married to the console it was originally purchased through. If you haven't done so in the last 12months you have the option of doing a Digital License Transfer onto the new console. Remember, this is a once per 12month only procedure.

Otherwise, just like now, if someone wants to access the games/etc, you'll have to sign on the purchasing account, then the account that wants to play it, launch the game, then sign out the purchasing account. The second account will still have access to the game license and play the game until the log off the game.

Eggnogga
10-08-2010, 02:09 PM
OP -- This should answer any questions you may have in regard to transferring data and what not and gives you the steps you should take if you do decide to buy a new HDD.

http://bit.ly/aU7YpS

mrbonelly
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
OP -- This should answer any questions you may have in regard to transferring data and what not and gives you the steps you should take if you do decide to buy a new HDD.

http://bit.ly/aU7YpS

I wouldn't say so buddy!

Scenario - License Migration, Repaired Console is incorrect. When a repaired console is sent back to the owner, licenses are NOT already transfered. I've personally been a victim of this twice.

Grant SK
10-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't say so buddy!

Scenario - License Migration, Repaired Console is incorrect. When a repaired console is sent back to the owner, licenses are NOT already transfered. I've personally been a victim of this twice.

Microsoft's official word on this matter is that they already transfer the licenses for you, and that if you purchase a new console, then you are still free to transfer those licenses yourself (the one license transfer per year rule doesn't apply here).

MS transferred my licenses for me when they sent me a new console. Perhaps your situation was something only a few have experienced?

OP:

Upgrading to a new HDD is fine; you don't have to worry about license transfer.

mrbonelly
10-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Microsoft's official word on this matter is that they already transfer the licenses for you, and that if you purchase a new console, then you are still free to transfer those licenses yourself (the one license transfer per year rule doesn't apply here).

MS transferred my licenses for me when they sent me a new console. Perhaps your situation was something only a few have experienced?

The more people tell me their transfers were made as expected by the repair centers, the more it makes my blood boil about how they screwed me over that year(3 months without a console).... :uzi::uzi::uzi:MS

kaleido42
10-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I had to send my 360 back twice. Both times it included a letter that said that the licenses were transferred, and that I would only have to go to each piece of content and click "download again". First time I got it back, I had to do that twice to get everything to work for some reason, the last time I got it back, I couldn't get it to work at all :mad:. It's all supposed to be transferred, but it doesn't always work out as intended for some reason.

gamerguy69
10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
The more people tell me their transfers were made as expected by the repair centers, the more it makes my blood boil about how they screwed me over that year(3 months without a console).... :uzi::uzi::uzi:MS

Perhaps they received the same console in return and not a refurb.

Anyways, both of my RRoD repairs came back as different consoles and a sheet telling about the DLC transfer process and that I would only need to re-download again.

Did not work and I was only allowed FULL access while signed on to LIVE. Minor annoyance and I did do the online license transfer myself some months later when I acquired a router.