PDA

View Full Version : everyone has potential?

rabblerouser
10-08-2010, 07:03 PM
This is my first time using a stick and practically my first fighting game so it's a huge wall for me. Can anyone become a tournament player? I heard this game is really lax about inputs so nothing learned in this game would help in the future

Didi Mau
10-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I heard this game is really lax about inputs so nothing learned in this game would help in the future

What do you mean by the future, are you talking about moving onto other fighting games? I'll be honest, I can't do a damn thing on Alpha because the controls are too strict and I'm used to the command shortcuts in this game- but where this is the only game I play at a serious level it doesn't really matter to me. You could always choose to learn "clean" inputs and use them in this game, then that way you'll still have good technique for playing other games (or play other simple games command-wise, like Soul Calibur).

You can definitely be a tournament player if you have the time to invest learning what needs to be learned (match-up knowledge, frame data etc) and practicing your execution. Do you have a SF scene in your area? Playing with high-level players is the fastest way to improve, though it can also feel pretty defeatist getting your arse kicked every single match haha. Read up on your character at Shoryuken.com, watch some pro players on youtube, and get some experience in real matches.

I went to my first SF tourney this year and picked up a good deal whilst I was there, even if I didn't get very far. This is my first real fighting game as well (I played competitive Melee beforehand, though it's not considered a true competitive fighter by most) and I have to say I'm loving it so far, I don't intend going back to online play with my shitty connection :p