PDA

View Full Version : My only problem with this game...

CIF
10-10-2010, 01:02 AM
I finished my first playthrough today (for some reason I chose Hard at the beginning lol) and loved this. EXCELLENT story, great graphics, interesting combat, strong voice acting, and for once, collectibles that have a point (the manuscripts, radios, TV shows). There's one thing that I would have changed.

I kind of hoped it would be scarier.

Yes, there are a few jumpy moments, but I was hoping for more. Don't get me wrong, I want the game to tell me when enemies are coming from behind, but seemingly every single time they appear they're announced via music and/or a changing camera angle. Let's face it, this isn't far off from survival horror - if at all - so it should fit that second word in the description.
Anyone agree?

AgentSephiroth417
10-10-2010, 05:15 AM
Same here. I was expecting this game to way scarier than it was.

kall5ter
10-10-2010, 02:07 PM
i'm glad it wasn't too scary, i don't know about you guys but my level of scary for the game was kinda high.

tehapoc
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, personally, I thought the game had more freight than recent Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. I thought the horror aspect was pretty well structured along with the rest of the game.

el_pieablo
10-22-2010, 03:09 PM
My wife and her sister found it to be really scary and full of frights. I thought it was ok and I did jump at some points but the supporting characters help to lighten the mood a lot.

tunaleg
10-24-2010, 01:00 AM
and for once, collectibles that have a point (the manuscripts, radios, TV shows).

You have obviously never played Bioshock. That's sad..

CIF
10-24-2010, 03:44 PM
I have actually, but I didn't like it enough to remember. Plus the guides here weren't all that helpful for those diaries so I said "screw it" after awhile.

Zenth Forbias
10-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't think the game was actually meant to be scary. It was labeled a Suspense Thriller, and that's what it was.

Also, to compare a 'scare' level of this game to recent RE and SH games is a laugh. The latest in the franchises shouldn't even exist (with the exception of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)

JesusBread
10-30-2010, 07:35 AM
I have actually, but I didn't like it enough to remember. Plus the guides here weren't all that helpful for those diaries so I said "screw it" after awhile.

I'm finding the guide to have a perfect description for everything. The only one I missed was a supply drop that was not explained well at all. I'll find it later though. Just finished chapter 3 so far.

And I hope you guys know this game wasn't developed as a Survival Horror. It was built as a psychological action thriller, which it does really well. It keeps on Edge the entire time, but not scared. Every time I enter a "taken" area and the screen goes all dark, I don't get scared, but I do get a bit tense and start walking around really slowly. There's nothing worse than something smacking you in the back at the worst time ever. I'm quite happy that it isn't a survival horror game. I definitely would not have picked it up if it was.

GMarauder
11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I thought the game had a great atmosphere. The only time where i was a little on edge was when I ran out of supplies. It only happened once in the game, and cruising through the woods with only a flashlight to fend off taken was about as scary as the game got for me. They should have made ammo a little more scarce. I played on Hard and haven't started my nightmare play through yet. I'm sure ammo will be less available on that difficulty.

Vanilla Coke Zero
11-07-2010, 08:52 AM
i don't think the developer's main purpose was to out right scare you, i think it was more a long the lines of keeping you on the edge of your seat. similar to watching a thriller movie; you're not terrified, but you're on edge and unprepared of what's to come.

i finished the game literally minutes ago, and for the most part, i'm very happy that i bought this game. the graphics are STUNNING, voice acting is top notch, gameplay is fun though a bit repetitive at times... oddly, i have mixed feelings about the story. i love the lovecraftian vibe the story goes for, but i found it kind of hard to follow. the ending left much to be desired, though i'm anxious to play the DLC to see how the story ends.

on a side note, did anybody else feel that "the sudden stop" (was that the name?) manuscript sounded A LOT like max payne's story?

xKRAIZEEMANx
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I played it late at night, with no lights on. There was several times I got a chill down my spine. Like when you are inside a house, and your flashlight passes over a window and you see a Taken creeping past it.

shinobigarth
08-02-2011, 04:23 AM
almost through the first playthrough and i really like it. IMO it has the right amount of tense moments. isnt scary but then again it doesnt really need to be. i only have a dislike or 2 about the game...

i dont like how the game keeps rushing you through everything. its happened a couple times now, once at the rock stage and once after getting the chopper keys with the sheriff. when you complete the current goal or make it to a certain spot, the game triggers a cutscene taking you to the next part, whether you wanted to or not. for the stage part, i saw a Thermos on bleachers so i went and grabbed it, then it took me right to the stage battle, but i had not yet found the house by the windmill that had some other collectibles in it (going by Tyger's awesome item guide). after the battle the gate locks. :(

with the helicopter keys, right after i grabbed them it took me to a cutscene outside the building before i had a chance to check upstairs for stuff. kinda upsetting because i wasnt aware that doing either of those would take me immediately to the next part without even bothering to ask if i was ready to move on or not. i know i can collect that stuff on Nightmare but thats really not the point. most games like this will make you continue manually so that way you arent forced into going to the next area if you arent ready.

also get annoyed at how you always lose your weapons and sometimes flashlight every time you start a new section of the episodes. theres almost no point in picking up that spiffy pump shotgun laying there because youll just lose it 5 minutes later. i can see it happening a couple times but its gets really old after having happened for the 8th or 9th time. and the excuse "well Alan doesnt have pockets :P" is not valid because he is somehow able to stuff a shotgun or rifle down his pants, yet he cant hold onto a pistol? phht.

Necrophage33
08-02-2011, 02:31 PM
almost through the first playthrough and i really like it. IMO it has the right amount of tense moments. isnt scary but then again it doesnt really need to be. i only have a dislike or 2 about the game...

i dont like how the game keeps rushing you through everything. its happened a couple times now, once at the rock stage and once after getting the chopper keys with the sheriff. when you complete the current goal or make it to a certain spot, the game triggers a cutscene taking you to the next part, whether you wanted to or not. for the stage part, i saw a Thermos on bleachers so i went and grabbed it, then it took me right to the stage battle, but i had not yet found the house by the windmill that had some other collectibles in it (going by Tyger's awesome item guide). after the battle the gate locks. :(

with the helicopter keys, right after i grabbed them it took me to a cutscene outside the building before i had a chance to check upstairs for stuff. kinda upsetting because i wasnt aware that doing either of those would take me immediately to the next part without even bothering to ask if i was ready to move on or not. i know i can collect that stuff on Nightmare but thats really not the point. most games like this will make you continue manually so that way you arent forced into going to the next area if you arent ready.

also get annoyed at how you always lose your weapons and sometimes flashlight every time you start a new section of the episodes. theres almost no point in picking up that spiffy pump shotgun laying there because youll just lose it 5 minutes later. i can see it happening a couple times but its gets really old after having happened for the 8th or 9th time. and the excuse "well Alan doesnt have pockets :P" is not valid because he is somehow able to stuff a shotgun or rifle down his pants, yet he cant hold onto a pistol? phht.

If you were following Tyger's guide you shouldn't miss any collectibles. If you went out of order then it's kinda your fault that you got screwed. I do agree through that the cutscene thing moving you forward kinda sucks. It'd be better if, for example, you start the stage defense by activating a stage light or something, or once you get the chopper keys you actually have to press B on the door to leave the building. That way you don't progress without electing to do it yourself.

As for the supply thing, it was even more annoying on Nightmare difficulty considering I was basically running past every encounter with Taken and using virtually no supplies other than flares. I was constantly finishing episodes with full pistol ammo, full batteries, full shotgun ammo, a few flares, a few flashbangs, and 2-6 shots of flaregun ammo, not to mention a better flashlight or lantern. Then I'd start the next episode with just a generic flashlight, and maybe some pistol ammo and a battery or two. I understand in some cases it makes sense, like when your car crashes and you're thrown from it, so you don't have all your supplies. But sometimes it makes no sense to suddenly have nothing in the next episode.

That being said, the main thing that took away from the thriller aspect for me was the sheer abundance of supplies. At no point in this game did I ever run out of any supply, whether ammo or batteries. On normal, enemies died fast enough that I never ran out of ammo. On Nightmare, even if supplies were supposedly more limited, you can run past most encounters, or survive with just boosting your flashlight beam to stun enemies as you run. If much more of the game was set up where you didn't have any weapons other than a flashlight and flares, and maybe a flashbang or flaregun shot, it would've been a lot more of a thriller/scarier. Feeling like you're constantly on the run, outnumbered, and at a disadvantage when it comes to combat. That way, every time enemies show up it's like "oh shit how am I gonna handle this situation?" rather than just blasting guys. Although, on Nightmare that strategy isn't really practical (the latter), which is probably why I enjoyed my Nightmare playthrough much more than the first one.

shinobigarth
08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
i shouldnt have missed anything following his guide, except some of the clues telling where an item is are a bit vague (i.e. "go right" but not saying exactly where or for how far). for the stage area, i went down the main road i guess you call it, and immediately saw the Thermos on the bleacher so ran to get it even though there were still a few things above it that ended up being in the house/barn, which i didnt notice where it was until after the stage defense had started. it would have been nice to have mentioned in the guide to not get the Thermos first because the battle would start right after. same with the chopper keys. oh well.

but i have to play Nightmare anyway.

ihavethumbs
08-11-2011, 04:14 AM
the only complaint i had, was i wanted to be in the town more often. Would have been interesting to explore through it more thoroughly, also interacting with the towns folk would have been nice.

TealPavelski
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I personally believe the game is very creepy!

YhoJo Kinson
08-12-2011, 10:23 PM
the only complaint i had, was i wanted to be in the town more often. Would have been interesting to explore through it more thoroughly, also interacting with the towns folk would have been nice.

Ditto. on the levels where you were in the town it would've been nice to be able to interact with things.

But then again it would be more like an investigation than a nightmare.

End of the day Alan's lost his wife, woke up in a jeep on the edge of a cliff, ran through a dark creepy forest, been attacked by alot of things, clearly scared and confused, then gets branded as insane, then is backmailed by some guy who says he has Alice and so on.

It's all a nightmare and so you only interact with the things that are essential.

On topic however, it was very tense and i was always on the edge of my seat. I loved it all, it's not meant to be a horror, theres no gore in th game, it's just the sheer shock and scary moments of the presence of the taken that makes the game seem scary.

I have no points in the game where i''d truly think to myself - this could've been better if they did this....

I thought it was perfect, and the DLC just mde it more mental, all the TV's with eyes and the rotating wheel of memories it was just fantastic.

Rep
08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Rthe only complaint i had, was i wanted to be in the town more often. Would have been interesting to explore through it more thoroughly, also interacting with the towns folk would have been nice.

Good point.

It would of been a break from traveling in the forest the whole time.

HugTheBear
08-13-2011, 04:24 AM
I get freaked out by games like this lol. I loved this game. I drank some whiskey to take my nerves off edge.. I do agree a bit about it not being as jumpy as some would like... But, a dark-crazy-shadowy-Lost-smoke-monster won't really sneak up on you in real life anyways.. lol :drunk

Maiyku
08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, personally, I thought the game had more freight than recent Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. I thought the horror aspect was pretty well structured along with the rest of the game.

^ This.

I was quite fine with the level of "scary" the game had in it. There weren't monsters jumping out of EVERY corner, and Alan Wake didn't fall victim to a lot of cheesy horror mistakes. Running through the forest alone was just as creepy and scary as fighting the monsters. Finding that balance is a challenge, and the makers of Alan Wake met it :)

FeatherbottomMR
08-16-2011, 09:40 PM
^ This.

I was quite fine with the level of "scary" the game had in it. There weren't monsters jumping out of EVERY corner, and Alan Wake didn't fall victim to a lot of cheesy horror mistakes. Running through the forest alone was just as creepy and scary as fighting the monsters. Finding that balance is a challenge, and the makers of Alan Wake met it :)
I agree being in the forest at night by yourself would be pretty scary.... plus you don't know who or what is out there.....