PDA

View Full Version : Have achievements kept you from enjoying your games?

MaicoWin
10-10-2010, 07:00 AM
I've over 30k gamer score now, and while it feels nice to have games completed, I've noticed lately that it is mostly a hollow feeling. I find myself playing my newer games with the laptop on and an achievement guide in front of me so that I can make sure to get every single possible achievement in one play through. It's like the achievements dictate my game play, and it hasn't been very fun, even when playing great games like Alan Wake.

What once used to be a leisurely hobby is replaced by a feeling that these games are now a boring grind. Sure there are some games out there with bullshit multiplayer leveling achievements that I might play for fun with other people, but other than that, it's like a chore to play these games, and it shouldn't feel like that. Games should be fun, not feel like work. I don't know where everything went so wrong.

So on the one hand, achievements feel good when you get everything completed and have some sense of accomplishment, but on the other hand, achievements feel like a curse that robs me from enjoying the games I play. Anyone else in the same boat? I've tried in the past to just play a game for fun's sake and not look at the achievements, but every time I find myself taking peeks at the achievement guides and what have you.

I'm going to try again and just enjoy playing a game through once without a care for the achievements and possibly going back and getting them all if I really liked the game. Let's see if I can open up and play Dead Space without being sucked into the achievement system. It's not even like gamerscore gives you any concrete rewards. So fuck it! Give me back my games, damn achievement system! I'm breaking free!

Ice Car
10-10-2010, 07:18 AM
I've over 30k gamer score now, and while it feels nice to have games completed, I've noticed lately that it is mostly a hollow feeling. I find myself playing my newer games with the laptop on and an achievement guide in front of me so that I can make sure to get every single possible achievement in one play through. It's like the achievements dictate my game play, and it hasn't been very fun, even when playing great games like Alan Wake.

What once used to be a leisurely hobby is replaced by a feeling that these games are now a boring grind. Sure there are some games out there with bullshit multiplayer leveling achievements that I might play for fun with other people, but other than that, it's like a chore to play these games, and it shouldn't feel like that. Games should be fun, not feel like work. I don't know where everything went so wrong.

So on the one hand, achievements feel good when you get everything completed and have some sense of accomplishment, but on the other hand, achievements feel like a curse that robs me from enjoying the games I play. Anyone else in the same boat? I've tried in the past to just play a game for fun's sake and not look at the achievements, but every time I find myself taking peeks at the achievement guides and what have you.

I'm going to try again and just enjoy playing a game through once without a care for the achievements and possibly going back and getting them all if I really liked the game. Let's see if I can open up and play Dead Space without being sucked into the achievement system. It's not even like gamerscore gives you any concrete rewards. So fuck it! Give me back my games, damn achievement system! I'm breaking free!
ITT: The Undeniable Truth, in a way.

This describes my feeling precisely, about how when I switched to 360 and started to become obsessed with getting my GS as high as possible and getting as many achievements as possible. However, this doesn't take much fun away from the game, though it still does. My perspective on gaming has definitely changed when I started playing the 360.

I feel like some games have become a never-ending race to get as many achievements as possible and not actually have fun playing the game.

takuto neko
10-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I really haven't let achievements controll my gaming experience. Achievements do feel good when you get them and especially good when you've collected them all but I really feel that shouldn't be the reason for gaming.

For all my games I've only finished a handful with the full 1k or 200pts...Some games I'll never ever dream of getting all of the achievements and then there are games I'll go back to and try and collect some achievements.

I like looking at the achievement lists which is why I come to the site....I see what possible ones I might get during the play through but if I don't get them I don't sweat it either.

Games should never be a boring grind...When that happens I think there is a problem.

Nikke84
10-10-2010, 07:43 AM
It's just collection achievements that bothers me, but they tend to be in every other game so I guess it's not a good thing.
I usually dont't pay much attention to achievements if I'm playing a brand new release, I do check the achievements real quick before I start the game to not miss anything simple though.

hydrosugar
10-10-2010, 08:34 AM
its strange isnt it. think back before 360/ps3 when there were no acheivemnts. the idea wasnt even around. y were u playing the game - probably because it looked good. chances are u would never pick up my horse and me on the ps2.

but still, thinking of when i had mario 64 i still wanted all 120 stars(not just beating bowser) and same with galaxy when i had the wii. maybe its just those games because i never would go out of my way for collectibles for no reason, and even with acheivements on offer im still reluctant

anyway it has somewhat but on the most part not really

my most played games now are still probably the ones ive completed so i guess i havent strayed too far from the nintendo days

knuckles mcgrew
10-10-2010, 08:36 AM
cant say its ever stopped me enjoying games

BiggSmile92
10-10-2010, 08:41 AM
I think that the achievements make the game better, i like the fact that you get something out of it at the end. I generally do one or two plays of the game without even looking at the achievement list so it doesn't spoil the game for me personally. :)

Starstrukk X360A
10-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Not really.
Unless they're collectibles.
Hate the bloody things.

But, I look at the achievement list first before I play, but I then just play the game, but with just a minor intention of earning as much as I can on the first run. I'm definitely fine with replaying the game if needed, but I play for entertainment above all.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
10-10-2010, 03:36 PM
when i get a game i just play it. after that i go for the 100% and enjoy the challenge. the only times i end up playing a game and it feels like a chore is when theres collectable achievements or online based ones. but thats usually after i have thoroughly enjoyed the game first.

if its too bad i just leave it incomplete

Nathan WV10
10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Not really as you should always play through the game once before going for achievements so you can have a stressless and fun game.

Then after completing it once and getting the story and things you should then go for all the achievements.

ansotica
10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
when i get a game i just play it. after that i go for the 100% and enjoy the challenge. the only times i end up playing a game and it feels like a chore is when theres collectable achievements or online based ones. but thats usually after i have thoroughly enjoyed the game first.

if its too bad i just leave it incomplete

same here. First I just play the game and I ignore the GS. If I've liked the game, I play it for a second time, focusing for the GS. If I don't like the game, I don't do it. I would never play a bad game to boost my score.

duff28
10-10-2010, 04:04 PM
*Sat in a dark room running over zombies with a SUV on dead rising 2 for hours*

Fire Hawk D
10-10-2010, 05:25 PM
See, I enjoy the game, even with the guide on collectibles or what-not in front of me. The only thing achievements do in regards to my enjoyment is keep me playing a game I've long gotten sick of playing. Those last achievements in Crackdown were quite a drag and took me forever to finally sit through, for instance. Also, I NEVER start a game I don't have some interest in playing.

Honestly, I could care less about my Gamerscore. I use achievements as a way to tell what games I've completed or not. If I don't have all the achievements, I haven't "completed" it. It's also an excuse to go back and play a game I enjoyed when DLC comes out, like in Red Dead Redemption and Left 4 Dead 2.

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 05:31 PM
i actually enjoy the achievements , i just had a good laugh with a guy getting an achievement on fable 2 just a few mins ago, i also think its makes me want to play games longer than i usually would because it gives me something more to aim for than just completing a game and then thats it over with, at least with them then u have something to go back and try for :)

Fire Hawk D
10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
i actually enjoy the achievements , i just had a good laugh with a guy getting an achievement on fable 2 just a few mins ago, i also think its makes me want to play games longer than i usually would because it gives me something more to aim for than just completing a game and then thats it over with, at least with them then u have something to go back and try for :)

Exactly. If I hadn't gone for the achievements in Fallout 3 and its various expansions, I would never have logged 75 hours in it. I finished the story and side missions fairly quickly.

SSJ3
10-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm exactly the same I can't really play games for fun anymore, it's all about getting all the achievements and trading it in.

KeepEmRolling
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
No, achievements usually enhance my enjoyment of a game. The exception would be collectible achievements...hate them. THe only game that had them that I can ever remember liking was Batman AA because there were maps you could find to help u find them.

wexnlex
10-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I didn't have a 360 for the longest but I got hooked on achievements on WOW when they released them for that game. I have since moved on and when I bought the 360 I didn't even know it had them. After I unlocked a few I was thought well cool I should get the rest.

Now I've gotten almost every non-DLC achievement in every game I've bought and I guess just looking at my games played it makes it look classy and concise.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter it's just a way I like to game so it's fun for me, although I've realised it doesn't matter since there is always some hexxer that has a profile that looks just as but with half the work. Like the guys that CLEARLY have XBL and have every easy achievement unlocked with a timestamp, but as soon as the achievement has a grind element, or obscene collection element they are all offline.

Guess I can be happy that at mine do have timestamps at least

~fin

P.S. yeah FUCK Star Ocean TLH but It will feel good when I finally do 1k it, but I am missing out on a lot of games in the meantime.

=P

Candyman44
10-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah they kinda have tbh, I remember back in the day I would spend hours on the ps2 just enjoying games but these days I just allways have to look at the Achievement list and trying to go for some its really been anoying me! Im trying to get out of the habit tho, going to play fable and stuff try to enjoy my gaming again :)

Fire Hawk D
10-11-2010, 01:17 AM
I didn't have a 360 for the longest but I got hooked on achievements on WOW when they released them for that game.

I was the same way! I was hooked on World of Warcraft on and off for a long time. During my playtimes, I'd find things to collect for no other reason then to take up bank space because I've always been a collecting madman. When they introduced achievements...good god. That's the MAIN reason I bought the second expansion. But, after a couple months, I realized most people didn't care about them, and I had no one to help me get the ones where you needed a full group of 5-20 people. So, I got bored and quit.

After a while, me and my buddy wanted something to play together, and we decided on getting Xbox 360s last October. As I was reading up on them, I realized EVERY GAME on the system had achievements! Haven't looked back since.

Leone Phelps
10-11-2010, 02:10 AM

I'm going to try again and just enjoy playing a game through once without a care for the achievements and possibly going back and getting them all if I really liked the game. Let's see if I can open up and play Dead Space without being sucked into the achievement system. It's not even like gamerscore gives you any concrete rewards. So fuck it! Give me back my games, damn achievement system! I'm breaking free! Exactly how I feel. I can't even play other consoles because the back of my mind says whats the point for no achievements :[

guillermo316
10-11-2010, 02:19 AM
i only whore out achievemetn for games i love,

chabelis
10-11-2010, 03:11 AM
No, unless it's something I need to grind for then I feel like it takes me places and forces me into doing things in the game that I normally would not have gone or done. I personally feel it has enhanced my experience.

The grinding isn't really necessary, however.. It's just a time waster.

French_Kid
10-11-2010, 03:14 AM
kinda....the achievement list for Devil May Cry 4 kept me from buying it...until I found the CE for dirt cheap...its on my shlef with no interntions of playing lol

DarkBigone
10-11-2010, 04:14 AM
The only time it bothers me it's when a game have missable achievements, specially on long-ass RPGS. You gotta be playing, with a chievo list in front of you, wich can be a bit annoying.
Other than that it depends on the game I guess, I didn't mind playing 200+ hours to get everything in Tales of Vesperia, since I loved that game. Heck, I did the same for Tales of Symphonia on the GC and there were no chievos back then.
Amped 3, on the other hand, pissed me off to no end with it's BS challenges. Some were annoying enough to get a bronze medal, so I just said "fuck getting gold medals" :uzi:

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-11-2010, 04:43 AM
hell fucking no. i play a game with the intention of enjoying it. on my second playthrough, i go for achievements. i don't really care about completing games unless it's a game or series i truly enjoy, such as assassin's creed or mass effect.

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-11-2010, 04:45 AM
I'm exactly the same I can't really play games for fun anymore, it's all about getting all the achievements and trading it in.

might as well quit gaming. you spend $65 on a game, get the achievements, and sell it for $25. not only that, but you aren't even playing the game for fun.

Mongolian Beef
10-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Currently working on Seriously...

Answer: Yes.

Eggnogga
10-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes and No. While I initially play through a game and enjoy it... my completionist side kicks in as I go back and attempt to get the rest of the achievements. Some can be such a grind that it either gets me frustrated or really pissed off at the game.

I agree w/ whoever mentioned "collectibles." That is seriously one of the worst additions to games. Whats the point? Especially those damned flags in AC1. =/

Not x360a
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Too be honest, I could care less about achievements. I only go for them in games I love.

inb4 someone notices my name

SassyLee571
10-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Doesn't take away the enjoyment for me

crazy W01f 816
10-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Just adds more enjoyment for me. Gives me something else to go for other than just completing the game. They also add longevity to a title.

rvlution
10-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Quite the opposite. They keep me playing certain games.

FakeJamaican
10-12-2010, 04:48 AM
good games never have this issue. I have played fallout 3 like 6 times, have 72/72 and will play it again in the future.

CONKER1182
10-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Not all games are that way thats why before I rent games from gamefly I alwas look at that games achievement lists on X360A before I rent a game to see if I like the achievements.

Mr Snipey
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
I have a feeling lots of people won't answer this honestly, because to do so would make them feel stupid.

Damian227
10-12-2010, 05:25 PM
I have to agree, there was a period of time where I was always trying to get as many achievements in as few playthroughs as possible... (haven't ever used a guide on my first playthrough though). As a result, it seriously changed how I'd play my games (Dead Space, Condemned, Mass Effect to name a few). Lately it kinda dawned on me that I'd spend hours playing a game that I didn't really want to play, all because I was one achievement from 100%... but why? So I can have some more digital numbers next to my name?

I've now opted to just play games as I want to, then if I enjoyed it, I can mop up what I can afterwards, but not break my balls trying to 100% a game if I'd rather play something else.

7ate9
10-12-2010, 11:45 PM
I feel exactly the same what's said in the first post.

+ you don't have completed a game, just because you've 1000ed it. In the good old times on PS2 (:Angel) you just set your own goals. You decided. Now on the 360 it's all other-directed.
Like in Bayonetta, I got the 1000 and stopped playing. No intention to collect all the umbra tears (or whatever they're called), or other stuff. Just because it's not "fun" when getting no achievement for it. I've got 1000 => completed.

And I'm glad that there are more people besides me buying a new game, checking x360a and playing it with a laptop in front of them... kinda sad imo :(

mjstokes85
10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I think in some cases they make you play the game for longer. A good example for me is skate which was the first game I got for my 360. I played it and got a few achievements, then played some more and got a few more, then got a bit bored of it, but the achievements kept me playing it until I got to 1000, and I haven't played it since haha but with other games it's a grind and not fun, like the play 500 matches with your virtual pro in FIFA 10 and 11. I probably won't get these achievements and that does annoy me. However ones in Guitar hero 3 like get 1,000,000 co op points and all that don't bother me as I know I will never be good enough to get anywhere near them as I don't even have anyone to co op with. So some make me play more, some annoy and frustrate me and some I just let slip by without caring. But overall I think they are a good thing!

Pez
10-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I stopped gaming for roughly six months this year as I'd tired myself out of it. I can't pinpoint the blame solely on achievements/trophies, but I can admit they had a big part to play.

I've recently come back to gaming however and am currently enjoying the thrill of earning achievements/trophies again. Looks like I just needed a break!

NaK Quinn
10-14-2010, 10:11 AM
No, for me achievements actually add replay value. Also, look at it this way: There are lots of games that I or someone else would have never played if it weren't for the achievements!

DogSoldier255
10-14-2010, 10:19 AM
To be fair i personally would complete the game first for fun without taking note of the achievements. Then afterwards i would look at the achievements and then try to finish off the ones i havent got, unless i dont like the game then il get rid of it.

Thats the best advice i can give you im afraid.

Jian
10-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Sometimes I feel like I wasted a lot of time on getting a specific achievement, then it definitely deprived me from enjoying a game lol, especially since I can't brag about my gamerscore since my box is not connected to the internet.

ginge88isfun
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Never stopped me enjoying games, achievements are just another way to enjoy the game.