PDA

View Full Version : Broken Controllers

hydrosugar
10-10-2010, 08:25 AM
first off all i would like to say im not sure if this exact thread has been done but i couldn't find it

ok, you hear a lot in various gaming threads about a level/acheivemnt leading to the throwing against the wall of innocent controllers. have u guys actually ever broke a controller? and if so what game and why?

i myself have never actually broke a controller, as i throw it very hard but usually against a pillow. however it has hit the wall/ground at reasonable pace and i guess im just lucky:woop:

so...what about you?:confused:

Starstrukk X360A
10-10-2010, 09:04 AM
The only type of broken controller I've had was one of my Guitar Hero guitars, but that was due to a friend being careless.

Other then that, I myself have never done it out of anger. (:

hydrosugar
10-10-2010, 09:28 AM
the closest ive come is not actually because something is hard, but when the game didn't save after 2 hours of play(smackdown vs raw 2009 going for 5 hall of famers)

Jakethemuss
10-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Over my 11 years of serious gaming, I've lost count of controllers I've smashed, but I'd estimate it to be around 50.

Yup, around 50 controllers have met there destruction at my hand, some have lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Aswell as controllers, I have also broken 3-4 electric fans, alarm clock, 5+ mugs, 2 hi-fi systems, 3 remote controls, 3+ game discs, shoe rack, wardrobe door, CDs, trousers/shirt (ripped them off my body in rage) put dents all over the walls.

When I fail at a game or it phucks me over, something just goes and I reach for something to destory. Its really the only time I get angry in day to day life.

1000x better for it be some electrical appliance though than a living person or animal!

Snowwwwy
10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
2 PS2 controllers, and 1 xbox controller I have smashed yes. So yeh.. I have smashed a controller. Not in one time either, just over time. I still have it.. dont know why. Wait, I might take a pic and upload it for you guys :) You can all see my dead controller :p

Edit: Just took a photo, check it out. Dusty, I know. Obviously hasnt been used for a while lol.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6357/img0003we.jpg

Gareth Dent
10-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Over my 11 years of serious gaming, I've lost count of controllers I've smashed, but I'd estimate it to be around 50.

Yup, around 50 controllers have met there destruction at my hand, some have lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Aswell as controllers, I have also broken 3-4 electric fans, alarm clock, 5+ mugs, 2 hi-fi systems, 3 remote controls, 3+ game discs, shoe rack, wardrobe door, CDs, trousers/shirt (ripped them off my body in rage) put dents all over the walls.

When I fail at a game or it phucks me over, something just goes and I reach for something to destory. Its really the only time I get angry in day to day life.

1000x better for it be some electrical appliance though than a living person or animal!

It's my professional opinion that you need to either take a break from games or at least get some help son.

I have never broken anything in rage. Not to say i don't get angry but i dont get in the habit of throwing things around. I usally go to the gym to work out my anger.

Snowwwwy
10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Not to say i don't get angry but i dont get in the habit of throwing things around.
Its not really.. around. Its more like.. down, hard into the ground :p

AltruismIsDead
10-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I broke an N64 controller (which I got that same day I believe, or at least within that week) over a game of NFL Blitz with my brother, and him giving me some serious smack talking to boot.

Then most recently the Tekken 6 wireless fighting stick, I ninja chopped that mother F***er, I think that was over the fact that Eddy Gordo is an incredibly cheap bastard when used by the computer, or anyone that button bashes him.

I think those might have been the only 2 controllers I've broken, I've probably tossed nearly every generation of gaming controllers at one time or another.

I remember on the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 4, I made this awesome Death Star hit. I basically randomly flung my controller, which hit my gamecube, the tray instantly ejected open although the game was still running without it realizing the tray was open, and the controller smashed the memory card case (although the memory card still worked, same with the gamecube). I had to trade in that game immediately. It's criminal how insanely cheap they make fighting games on higher difficulties.

iBlessing 09
10-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I've broken my headset from Modern Warfare 2, 20+ hitmarkers and lag off the side of Highrise on a 24 killstreak isn't a pretty sight.

RuYi
10-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I only throw my controller on my pillow lol. I did broke one once, but that was because I spilled lemonade on it. :(

gnofs
10-10-2010, 12:28 PM
None broken yet, but I've sure tried a couple of times. Sturdy bastards.

TacticalTodger
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah the ps2 ones were better to break. The 360 ones I have to be careful as they're wireless it'll go through the tv.

the Damage617
10-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I've yet to break a controller out of rage :).

DanTheManGum
10-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Halo 3 multiplayer made me hit my controller once which broke it. Past that I've never broken one from way back when (and boy some of those old controllers were flimsy thin).

Death Metal Jim
10-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I think I've broken at least one controller on every single system I've owned since the Sega Genesis (The NES gets a pass cause those controllers were just unbreakable unless you REALLY went to town on them). Some games are just made to piss you off and perform such a task. The latest game to make me do this was Perfect Dark Zero. Just thinking of that game angers the hell outta me :mad:.

bigbear2face
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I have broken many, many controllers throwing or slamming them when mad. It was much worse when I was younger.

KeepEmRolling
10-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I've only broken one controller over the years. Spiked and shattered a Nintendo controller playing battletoads.

feeder18
10-10-2010, 11:11 PM
The only controller ive broken, not through throwing it, just through constant tapping, are the R2/L2 buttons on my PS2 controller whilst in loading screens. Weird, but I do that...

Mutorcs81
10-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I have broken quite a few of controllers. Most recently from Trails HD

Tufty
10-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I have only broken 1, because I couldn't finish the last mission on Tony Hawks Underground 1.

My brother did break an Xbox 360 controller by throwing it at me though. It hurt, a lot.

R4ndom Gren4de
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
I haven't broken a controller yet. But my current controller is in pretty bad shape. Bits and pieces of the plastic came off and the right analog stick is messed so that it's at a slant. The slant messes me up a lot when I play shooters.

wexnlex
10-11-2010, 12:42 AM
I've chunked my Akuma Fightpad into the wall because at the time I didn't beat Seth 500 times and I thought he was the cheapest fuck in the world. Still works though I did all challenges with it just has a huge crack in it.

My 360 controllers I ussually just throw them into the couch in frusteration if it's game related. I've broken one but that was wife related and nothing to do with achievements.

Viper187
10-11-2010, 01:31 AM
I broke a lot when I was younger. I broke 1 SNES pad. It was this clear turbo controller. No other controller will ever compare to it. I think it had macro buttons. It also did the turbo in such a way that Lui Kang's Bicycle Kick on MK was never-ending. He'd be back kicking the guy without even touching the ground despite the fact it was a charge move, not a rapid button pressing move. I shattered that poor controller. Spiking it on a cement floor was obviously a bad idea.

I broke a ton of N64 controllers before I got a shark. I even broke a few N64 carts by attempting to slam them through the back of the console. One of the controllers was one of those huge arcade pads Interact made (Sharkpad?). I ripped the joystick right off it.

In more recent years, I've found myself wearing out controllers instead. I managed to wear out the right trigger on an original Xbox controller playing like 2 games: Halo and Genma Onimusha.

I've worn out the stick on a 360 controllers as well. I think it was more from playing racing games. When I switched to an FPS, I realized my character would no longer stand still because the stick was going bad. I hope those new controllers with the improved dpad are actually good. I might have to order one even though they're apparently not in black. :(

beezee_boi
10-11-2010, 01:57 AM
none they do break because I play the hell out of them though. Like my guitar hero controllers they last a while don't get me wrong but when the green button goes out you kinda have to do a curtain call

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 07:20 AM
when i was about 12 and the SNES just came out i went through ALOT of controllers because of street fighter 2 turbo lol. I used to have some really cool pads back then too, you know the digital ones that you could programme moves in to slected buttons , that was my fav pad ever i think i actually snapped it in half though rather than it meeting with the wall for a change lmao

hydrosugar
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
after reading a few posts it occurred to me that while ive never broken a controller out of rage(not that there hasnt been rage:p) i did spill milk on my pokemon 64 controller. it just wouldnt register when i plugged it in

also more recently i stuffed up the 'a' button on my 360 controller. its not that serious it can just get stuck occasionally if its being pressed repeatedly.

im pretty sure it was from playing eternal sonata. i got into the rhythm of hammering the opponent with normal attacks before fininshing of with a special attack. and given that normal attack was 'a' it took a beating. still, not exactly broken but its there

hydrosugar
10-11-2010, 08:42 AM
I broke an N64 controller (which I got that same day I believe, or at least within that week) over a game of NFL Blitz with my brother, and him giving me some serious smack talking to boot.

Then most recently the Tekken 6 wireless fighting stick, I ninja chopped that mother F***er, I think that was over the fact that Eddy Gordo is an incredibly cheap bastard when used by the computer, or anyone that button bashes him.

I think those might have been the only 2 controllers I've broken, I've probably tossed nearly every generation of gaming controllers at one time or another.

I remember on the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 4, I made this awesome Death Star hit. I basically randomly flung my controller, which hit my gamecube, the tray instantly ejected open although the game was still running without it realizing the tray was open, and the controller smashed the memory card case (although the memory card still worked, same with the gamecube). I had to trade in that game immediately. It's criminal how insanely cheap they make fighting games on higher difficulties.

wait, theres a gamecube version of soulcalibur 4?

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 08:44 AM
I broke a lot when I was younger. I broke 1 SNES pad. It was this clear turbo controller. No other controller will ever compare to it. I think it had macro buttons. It also did the turbo in such a way that Lui Kang's Bicycle Kick on MK was never-ending. He'd be back kicking the guy without even touching the ground despite the fact it was a charge move, not a rapid button pressing move. I shattered that poor controller. Spiking it on a cement floor was obviously a bad idea.

i loved that controller thats the next best fav i had for the snes, was yours the one with the digi display also or just the normal one , i had both, they were the shiz !!!

Eminent
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
I've broken 5 wireless controllers since the Xbox 360 came out. I forgot what games made me mad to spike them against the wall. I've also punched a lot of holes in my walls and doors. I want to say $100 for a window, couple hundred for drywall and about $70 for a new door plus $250 to replace the controllers.

French_Kid
10-11-2010, 01:24 PM
ive been gaming for approximately 20 years and have never broken a controller. I didn't grow up in a rich family and I am no where near rich so i value what I have and don't wanna replace it unless I have to

When I get angry...i just turn the console off...or leave it on and go away lol

Dumbdumbjr
10-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Let's see. The white controller from my first xbox, a wired controller, a black controller, a black controller, my current one is wearing out and I have a spare reach controller.

Gareth Dent
10-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Maybe we should invest our time into.. Rubber controllers xD

VVh1pCr3am
10-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I think I'm on my 15+ 360 controller. I broke a pair of Turtle Beaches within 24 hours of getting them by twisting the controller with the mic plugged in. The tip broke off inside the controller. I usually just end up punching my controller really hard because of the online in Gears 1 and Gears 2. I don't think I've broken a controller over any other games. I'll get mad and hit my controller but it doesn't break for other games. I haven't hit a controller in awhile but due to the punching of controllers in the past, I have pain in my right hand all the time. This will most definitely lead to arthritis later on in life.