Hard mode= better rare items!

Chaos MAN

Hey everyone I was reading this post on the ps3 trophy website about this interview with the games creator. He said if you change the game to hard you get better rare item drops. So I did and went to test it out by going to the desert to get the subdued bracelet. It took me only 20 min. to get 4 of them! I thought maybe I just got lucky so I tried another item, the broken erring off the shaman shades. Once again I got about 10 in under an hour so I'm pretty sure this works.:woop: ( or if lady luck felt like giving me a bj today ) Anyway I hope this works out for the rest of you.:)

edit - after spending 2 hours last night in the junk heap trying to get large gears I didn't get a single one, but after turning it to hard today I just got 3 in 10 min. So I can confirm this does work!

Edited by Chaos MAN

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I will be giving this a go today. I need those very rare jewelry drops.

Edit: I will confirm that I received many more drops on hard mode. However the subdued bracelet still eludes me. I need all three and haven't gotten a single one to drop yet. It's becoming infuriating.

Edited by whytebler000

I finally got a usb stick and unlocked my last achievement for this game today. Yay! So I can say that while I used hard mode to get my rare items, I switched it back to normal to get the Subdued Bracelets. It worked for me. The flying shades would only drop the Metal Piercings on hard mode. After going back to normal difficulty, I got one Metal Piercing and then came the Subdued Bracelets I needed. That was the only time it seemed to work better for me.

Edited by XY Gameboi4Ever

• 2 weeks later...

The hard mode tip works great except for a few items. Forlorn necklaces and subdued bracelets seem to drop more often on lower difficulties. I just got 2 forlorn necklaces in a row on easy mode, and got a subdued bracelet on easy mode first go after trying to get one on hard mode for 3 hours with no luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd give some more verification:

First, the concept of this thread. In addition to everyone else that's posted here, I've had much higher success rates with getting rare items on hard difficulty.

Second:

Does this also work with the harvest items i.e. the Eagle eggs, Black pearls, gold ores, giant eggs & such?

From my experience, yes. In the Barren Temple, a good 80% of what I got was a rare item, and gold ores were abound in the world when I was on hard mode.

Third:

The hard mode tip works great except for a few items. Forlorn necklaces and subdued bracelets seem to drop more often on lower difficulties. I just got 2 forlorn necklaces in a row on easy mode, and got a subdued bracelet on easy mode first go after trying to get one on hard mode for 3 hours with no luck.

I can confirm this as well. It took me three hours to get the first subdued bracelet on hard, but from the time I switched to easy, it took me about 20 minutes to get the remaining 2.

Edit: I've also had similar results for the Twisted Ring and Metal Piercing. Rusty Kitchen Knives and Dented Metal Bats seem to follow this pattern, but I think it may just be the speed at which you kill the little shades on easy compared to hard, and with the amount I killed I can't be sure.

Edited by Neverender