PDA

View Full Version : Dont it start to pi$$ you off .......

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 03:28 PM
EDIT: ok to clarify to some people that are misunderstanding me i will edit here....

I am not talking about games on XBLA like COD classic , ~COD 2 SONIC WOLFENSTIEN etc....

if you look in to the game market section you will find a section called GAME ROOM , this is where i am talking about and tbh i actually made this post more about avatars etc , it was just the fact that i found this game room full of ancient games that made me start to think they were going a bit too far with the CREDITS.

Ok so the PS3 is free online yeah , but ok the experience aint so good as i noticed when i first started playing xbox 360 live i thought yeah im glad to see they have actually put the money they make from us paying for live in to use until today i decided to check out the ARCADE section, you know all the old games like centipede and asteroids etc , i thought yeah this is well wicked being able to play all these games to then download the game packs try to play a game and ask to pay for it , i was like WTF why on earth would anyone pay to play these games you can get for free off the net any day ?? i mean you can get the N64 , the SNES and the NES and all its games off of the net for free on ur PC yet Microsoft expect us to pay for these WAY out dated games just for a few more achievement points , its just the same as the avatars , having to pay for an avatar to look better !!! Come on havent they made enough cash from us from lets see ... hmm Games, Consoles, HDD, Controllers, PAYING FOR LIVE TO BEGIN WITH !!! which i might mention per year on top of our already yearly p\payment for broadband, then theres the ADD-ONS which tbh should just be part of the game anyway.

Dont get me wrong i love my online experience which i mentioned but i just think they are taking advantage of younger players when it comes to things like paying for a theme or an avatar item etc when what really all that matters is a good game experience and having fun .

Thats my rant for the day because i wanted to play more games in the ARCADE lmao :P:p

lenny m
10-10-2010, 03:37 PM
i understand. Xbox also make you pay for avatar items. 240 for an Assassins Creed attire? Thats unbelievable. My friend changed to PS3 purely for this reason. It is a load of rubbish. I think its just because Bill Gates wants all the money in the world for himself

RuYi
10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
No, it doesn't piss me off. It's not like they're forcing me to buy anything on the Marketplace. If I find that I don't get enough for my money's worth, then I simply won't buy it, simple as that.

And as much as it goes into the entertainment category for us, to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, it's business. They aren't giving us games because they want to make us happy so badly. In the end it's all about the money, but it's your choice whether you want to pay them that money.

If children are too young to handle money, they shouldn't be allowed to buy anything on the Marketplace either. Other than that, same rule applies, if you find the price too high, don't buy it.

institutions
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Err...no.

Unless Bill Gates comes to your house, points a gun at your head, and forces you to download Arcade games or avatar items, I don't see why anyone would complain. If you don't want the achievement point and you'd rather play it on your PC, go right ahead, but don't ruin it for people who actually want the gamerscore. They could just get rid of the Arcade section altogether and piss tons of people off.

Free Add-Ons = Less Money for the Developer = Less money in the budget for their next title.
Sure, we could have free DLC for everything, and then everything would look like Alpha Protocol.

crazy W01f 816
10-10-2010, 03:53 PM
i understand. Xbox also make you pay for avatar items. 240 for an Assassins Creed attire? Thats unbelievable. My friend changed to PS3 purely for this reason. It is a load of rubbish. I think its just because Bill Gates wants all the money in the world for himself
You do know that Bill Gates isn't even the standing CEO of Microsoft anymore. He stepped down and takes a much smaller role in what Microsoft does.

Anyway, achievements are powerful thing. I'd rather pay for the old, ported games than go through all the trouble of trying find my console and then trying find the games and I get some nice gamerscore too. I do agree about the avatar stuff though, that's why I don't buy any of it. The only thing I've bought was a Dead Space shirt because I just couldn't resist and I still hate that I waisted 80 points on it.

Mightymango
10-10-2010, 04:33 PM
So you mad because the games on XBLA require you to pay, instead of illegally downloading roms for your PC?

The Avatar stuff though, I can agree with that.

Death Metal Jim
10-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I dunno dude, XBLA is getting better everyday in terms of Arcade game variety. Sure they'll screw you over once in a while by taking down games with multi in them (Doom, Double Dragon, Smash TV) but they've also added some really good ones over the last year or two. Games like Splosion Man, Comic Jumper, Aegis Wing, Castle Crashers, Mega Man 9 and 10, Shadow Complex, Shank, and The Dishwasher are all really good original games, with the majority of them being exclusive to the 360 I believe.

And then you've got some really great Arcade ports like Tmnt 1989, Duke Nukem 3D, Contra/Super Contra, Soul Caliber, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure, Streets Of Rage 2, Serious Sam, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and Final Fight. And of course the just annouced X-Men Arcade port.

These games should easily fill your arcade game needs. If they don't, I honestly don't know what you're looking for.

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
If children are too young to handle money, they shouldn't be allowed to buy anything on the Marketplace either. Other than that, same rule applies, if you find the price too high, don't buy it.

I agree with that but when you have a kid that you want to make happy or not have them in your ear please daddy please can i have an avatar item non stop for you to turn round and say no and upset the child you love its not going to feel good and this is what microsoft are playing at which imo is pretty darn rotten .

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 05:23 PM
i will be honest i dont mind the odd couple of here or there for the arcade games but it was that that got me on to thinking about the avatar items that made me post tbh

i dont think everything should be free as i said i like how they use the money for a much better live experience than sony but some things like someone said and assans creed avatar item 230cred, thats nutz

Dyazzic
10-10-2010, 05:36 PM
:drunkYea They Expect You To Pay For It But I Still Say The Experience Is better THen PS3 Online:locked

punker
10-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with that but when you have a kid that you want to make happy or not have them in your ear please daddy please can i have an avatar item non stop for you to turn round and say no and upset the child you love its not going to feel good and this is what microsoft are playing at which imo is pretty darn rotten .

This is what Microsoft is playing at? The persistant bugging of children is what every single advertiser has played at for 100 years.

Damian227
10-10-2010, 06:19 PM
In a perfect world it'd all be free, but if you're over 12, you know it's not pefect lol.

I don't have a problem paying for Arcade games (never pay over 800MP though, unless it's a proper game - Hydrophobia/Sonic Adventure) but I'm not keen on paying for Avatar/Themes/Gamerpics which are all entirely pointless in my opinion. But MS wouldn't be charging if idiots weren't paying money for them. I'm sure something would happen if everybody just used the free Avatar clothes from Awards (like myself) and free themes you get with games/magazines... however there are too many people with more money than sense, so it'll never happen.

TakahashiDemon
10-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Thats a silly reason as Home stuff costs twice as much, you also dont get as much starting clothes, you can win some from the arcade machines but thats about it.

iiDaRReN316x
10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Achievements i guess

Qonok
10-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I have only paid for one XBLA game myself (Wolfenstein 3D, why? because I loved it back in the day and would rather play it with a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard and it was priced good at 400 msp) and have never bought any of the themes or avatar items. Those just aren't worth it to me. I am thinking of picking up some tower defense games, though. I like that laid back type of game.

I can understand, actually, why they charge for these older games. They do have to convert the software over for use on the 360 as well as test it to make sure it operates correctly. This does take time and money. The achievements are a bonus for this.
Then for avatar items and such people do actually have to program the pieces in and make sure they fit peoples avatars correctly, which also takes some cash. They do seem to overcharge a bit for this, though. I would think it would be more money for them if 5 people download it at 80 msp rather than only one at 320 msp.

I do love getting avatar items and gamer pics from games like the RDR items for playing that game. A little extra bonus for playing the game.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
10-10-2010, 07:36 PM
i dont think hes talking about arcade games but game room arcade games if you read his post properly

Qonok
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
i dont think hes talking about arcade games but game room arcade games if you read his post properly

I re-read it and you are right since he is talking about games that aren't on XBLA.

The games on Gameroom are totally not worth the money as it is. When they actually get some good games on there then I may actually buy some.

SSJ3
10-10-2010, 08:02 PM
What's the problem? Your not being forced to buy anything.

KeepEmRolling
10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
While the pricing is way out of line on a lot of things, especially avatar items, none of what's available for purchase on the marketplace pisses me off, lol. If I don't feel it's worth the money, I don't buy it. $5 for an avatar outfit? No thanks, I'll spend my money elsewhere, simple as that.

ChromiumDragon
10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
What might be a complete ripoff to you and/or me might be very worth it to somebody else. They're charging money for avatar costumes because somebody, somewhere is buying them. It costs them virtually no money to develop and implement, so it's basically free money for them. If nobody was buying them, they'd stop producing them.

The guy who gave me my XBox takes avatars very seriously for some reason. Personally, I have absolutely no use for them, but he went on and on for half an hour about all these things you can get with your avatar, all the things you can do, etc.

As for the old 80s games...Some of us love retrogames. Sure, I could download Stella, MAME, etc. and play them on my PC. Or I could spend $3 per game for the ones I truly enjoy, play them on a 50" TV, and earn a couple of achievements too. To me, it's worth it. But i can also see why some people wouldn't think it was. And for them, my best advice is to simply not buy them.

As for PSN....I've never had a problem with playing any games on PSN. I will fully admit that XBL has more to offer than PSN, but as for playing online, I don't think the difference between the two is as large as some people would like to believe.

Starstrukk X360A
10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Don't buy the bloody things then.
There are plenty of XBLA games up that aren't available on other free platforms.

If you really can't find a good game on XBLA...

ur doin it rong

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I re-read it and you are right since he is talking about games that aren't on XBLA.

The games on Gameroom are totally not worth the money as it is. When they actually get some good games on there then I may actually buy some.

yeah thats the games i was meaning, not arcade games like sonic, classic COD etc, them i dont mind paying for its the other arcade im talking about where you go in and theres heaps of arcade machines in different themed rooms i thought was a bit of a joke having to pay for each of them games, since i first wrote i looked again and i think there is an option to pay for the entire arcade which of course you would need to DL all 8 arcade downloads first and im not sure how much it costs, im just going to check now... the place is called GAME ROOM, im DL game pack 1 just now which it says is free and has games like ASTEROIDS DELUX and more 1970's and 80's games......

ok heres a price for an ancient atari game 240creds then to play anywhere wateva that means its 400creds.....

ok from looking further every game is 240 creds and there looks like theres maybe about 80 games or so ... you do the maths to play these games from 1970-1980 ....

now do you see what im getting at ?

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Don't buy the bloody things then.
There are plenty of XBLA games up that aren't available on other free platforms.

If you really can't find a good game on XBLA...

ur doin it rong

your looking at the wrong section actually ;)

i see pleanty good games on xbla but try looking at the GAME ROOM then come back and comment please lol

hodge
10-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Until the day comes that the xbox comes with a gun to your head as standard, don't buy it.

I never really buy anything other than DLC, since I'm not a huge fan of the arcade games. There are a few I've bought, but they're mostly the common ones

bapae
10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
What you don't realize is that those games that you are talking about getting for free i bet they are illegal Microsoft charges for the games because a company still owns the rights to it so you have to play for a license to pay for it.

mitchcraft1980
10-10-2010, 09:58 PM
thing is they aint actually microsoft games they are things like the old atari games etc , and the point of them not coming to my house with a gun to my head saying BUY THESE NOW !!! However a child with a tear in her/his eyes because you say no is a very different matter .

ChromiumDragon
10-10-2010, 10:03 PM
yeah thats the games i was meaning, not arcade games like sonic, classic COD etc, them i dont mind paying for its the other arcade im talking about where you go in and theres heaps of arcade machines in different themed rooms i thought was a bit of a joke having to pay for each of them games

Last I checked, game companies aren't in the business of giving their games away for free. The Game Room is geared towards retrogamers like me, and you can spend as little or as much as you want, based on the games you like. If you don't like retrogames, nobody is forcing you to buy a thing.

since i first wrote i looked again and i think there is an option to pay for the entire arcade which of course you would need to DL all 8 arcade downloads first and im not sure how much it costs, im just going to check now...

Games are released for the game room on a regular basis. There's 10 game packs available right now. The game pack patches themselves are free and allow you to preview the games and play the game demos once, but if you want to actually play the games available with those packs, you have to pay 240 MSP per game.

the place is called GAME ROOM, im DL game pack 1 just now which it says is free and has games like ASTEROIDS DELUX and more 1970's and 80's games......

No, Game Pack 1 adds support for Asteroids Deluxe and the other games. You still have to actually buy them.

ok heres a price for an ancient atari game 240creds then to play anywhere wateva that means its 400creds.....

To play it only on X-Box Live, it costs 240 MSP. If you want to also play it from your PC from your Live account, you'll have to pay 400 instead.

ok from looking further every game is 240 creds and there looks like theres maybe about 80 games or so ... you do the maths to play these games from 1970-1980 ....

now do you see what im getting at ?

Again, you don't have to buy every single game out there. There's actually about 130 games available for the game room right now. Some of them are worthless garbage like 3-D Tic Tac Toe. Others are 70s and 80s classics like Asteroids, Pitfall, Centipede, etc.

Of those 130 games, I own 5.

If you don't like retrogames, then don't buy them. Problem solved. Nobody's forcing you to. I think most of the other 125 games available are worthless garbage myself, but maybe there's another retrogamer out there who really likes 3-D Tic Tac Toe. So rather than complain about MS wanting us to spend money on garbage like 3D TTT, I simply don't buy it. Problem solved.

ChromiumDragon
10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
thing is they aint actually microsoft games they are things like the old atari games etc , and the point of them not coming to my house with a gun to my head saying BUY THESE NOW !!! However a child with a tear in her/his eyes because you say no is a very different matter .

Learn. To. Say. No.

I've got 2 of my own. Do you think I buy them everything they come running to me for? Not even close. Do they walk away with tears in their eyes? Yup. I did the same thing to my parents when I was a kid, and I'm willing to bet that you did too.

Your kids aren't always going to like you. It comes with being a parent.

Starstrukk X360A
10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
your looking at the wrong section actually ;)

i see pleanty good games on xbla but try looking at the GAME ROOM then come back and comment please lol

Wait, so.
This entire time, you were bitching about the Game Room?

Why not just have that in your original post to begin with? I mean, honestly.

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 01:09 AM
i did people just didnt get what i was meaning

i quote " i decided to check out the ARCADE section, you know all the old games like centipede and asteroids etc "

Schism
10-11-2010, 01:45 AM
lol i dont think children should be online to begin with...your rant does make sense but at least they are not forcing you to buy things. If that was the case then yeah i would see an issue...but really its not a big deal...avatar items are pretty pointless though..

Corrupt.
10-11-2010, 04:04 AM
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simples.

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 06:11 AM
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simples.

your about the 4th person to say that, its not much of a debate posting that all the time people , lets have some new input :D:drunk

ChromiumDragon
10-11-2010, 12:06 PM
your about the 4th person to say that, its not much of a debate posting that all the time people , lets have some new input :D:drunk

I don't know what else you expect people to say. You don't like the game room, and people have told you that if you don't like it, don't buy it. What more are you looking for?

Pez
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't know what else you expect people to say. You don't like the game room, and people have told you that if you don't like it, don't buy it. What more are you looking for?

I assume he wants some kind of maverick to turn up and urge him to buy them all without hesitation.

I'll be your maverick. :cool:

BUY THEM! BUY THEM ALL!

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I assume he wants some kind of maverick to turn up and urge him to buy them all without hesitation.

I'll be your maverick. :cool:

BUY THEM! BUY THEM ALL!

I actually want these kind of things to be free by the time i become a father lmao

That was the real aim in this thread lol

scarface
10-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I actually want these kind of things to be free by the time i become a father lmao

That was the real aim in this thread lol

Microsoft are not that kind...

Pootcrum
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Just wanted to say, they are Microsoft Points, not credits.

My $0.02, the avatar crap has gone too far, very silly money. But as far as games go, well some are worthwhile and some are not you have to make a judgment call.