PDA

View Full Version : Save DLC on MU able play on friends console?

Angry Algerian
10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey everybody ! I had a question for yalls! My friend and I agreed I would buy L4d2 DLC and he would buy the DLC of L4D, since both were the same content but still had to pay separately since the are two different games.(kinda silly that it's one the first one since Crash Course DLC is still bugged). Here is my question: Can I download the new L4d@ DLC on to my MU or USB drive and then take it over to my friends and play it there? ....or should I download it to my HDD, delete it, and then re-download it at my buddies house, then delete one more time, so I can recover later on my HDD ? What does everybody think ?

bigbear2face
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I guess it depends on the size of the DLC and whether it can fit on your MU. I would suggest using a USB drive. Just remember your profile will always have to be present and in use for the DLC to work.

Angry Algerian
10-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I guess it depends on the size of the DLC and whether it can find on your MU. I would suggest using a USB drive. Just remember your profile will always have to be present and in use for the DLC to work.

Cool ! What's what I was thinking as well ! ...I guess I will have to test it out and let everybody know if works or not. thanks bigbear2face ..

Shelton
10-10-2010, 09:47 PM
As long as the profile that bought it is signed into live, I don't see any reason why it won't work. What you could do, is wait till you go to your friends place and buy it on his Xbox (with your profile). He will be able to play it anytime he likes and you will be able to play it whenever you are signed in to LIVE.

bigbear2face
10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
As long as the profile that bought it is signed into live, I don't see any reason why it won't work. What you could do, is wait till you go to your friends place and buy it on his xbox. He will be able to play it anytime he likes and you will be able to play it whenever you are signed in to LIVE.

If he buys it with his account on his friends harddrive I don't think his friend will be able to play it without having the buyers profile logged in. Not sure though.

Shelton
10-10-2010, 10:06 PM
If he buys it with his account on his friends harddrive I don't think his friend will be able to play it without having the buyers profile logged in. Not sure though.

The license is tied to the profile that bought it and the console it was bought on. What I suggested is entirely possible. I played the Snoopy DLC against myself by doing this. Bought it on one console, moved my profile to the other.

To be clear, there are two licenses each time you buy something.

*Console license: Any profile on the console used to buy the content can play the content.
*Profile license: The profile used to download the content must be signed in to LIVE to access the content.

bigbear2face
10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I see. Does the console license only apply to the original console that downloads a file or does it change if you delete the file then use the licensed profile to download it to a different console?

In other words if I deleted an XBLA game off my console then went to my brothers apartment and downloaded that game to his console would the console license change? Somehow I find this very unlikely.

feeder18
10-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I didnt think you were able to save DLC to an MU and play it on someone elses console, regardless of whether your profile is present or not?

My cousin brought his Guitar Hero 2 round, on his MU with profile and DLC, and the DLC wouldnt work, we assumed so that you cant copy DLC to someone elses console?

Shelton
10-11-2010, 12:20 AM
I see. Does the console license only apply to the original console that downloads a file or does it change if you delete the file then use the licensed profile to download it to a different console?

In other words if I deleted an XBLA game off my console then went to my brothers apartment and downloaded that game to his console would the console license change? Somehow I find this very unlikely.
The console license can only be changed every 12 months by using the license transfer tool. Here. (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/) You cannot do what you proposed without transferring the console license.

Read this (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=169568) post by Dak, if you want more information.

Angry Algerian
10-11-2010, 05:22 AM
To be clear, there are two licenses each time you buy something.

*Console license: Any profile on the console used to buy the content can play the content.
*Profile license: The profile used to download the content must be signed in to LIVE to access the content.[/QUOTE]

Shelton, thank you very much . you have been very informative !!!!