PDA

View Full Version : do you ever think a friend is an achievement?

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
LOL yeah when your playing a game that needs a certain amount of kills or something like that for an achievement and then suddenly you hear the BEEP and you think yippeee , then you read it and realise it was a friend just came on line lol.

There is an option to switch this off in the settings somewhere i know but someone must of had a bad connection just now cos they were coming on and off every minute so i kept getting excited then saw it was my mate lol 4

Anyone else ever think this too?

dakisbac
10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
All the time, even if I'm not expecting an achievement. I really hate the notifications for friends, and wish I could disable those notifications only.

I IVIuTanT I
10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
YES! and it always seems to pop up when you unlock an achievement, you get the friend notification THEN the achievement.

Chipsonfire
10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I get that all the time! Even if I'm watching a movie on Netflix lol

Fire Hawk D
10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Hate that, especially when you're grinding a long, boring achievement. You're so excited because you think it's over...but no.

Gun-Nut
10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm sure we all have had it happen at one point! I don't tend to think its an achievement any more if I've got them all in a game like I would on occasion.

Still will catch me out while playing a new game or going for an achievement.

Br0kenAssass1n
10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I want to know if the people that come up with the updates every year actually play/use a 360, because if they did, they'd know by now how irritating this is, and would in fact like to change it.

That is assuming it's possible to implement some sort of customisable noise for friends/achievements.

Jakez123
10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Hate that, especially when you're grinding a long, boring achievement. You're so excited because you think it's over...but no.

Exactly, i was grinding the skill achievements in lost odyssey, thinking it was my last fight and getting the last skill for my character, bleep," ******* is online"

and i was like this in the exact same order :eek: and :confused: and :mad:

The Walrus
10-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Happens to me about 10-20 times a day, "Hurray-- Balls"

Starstrukk X360A
10-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Ughh, I hate that.
Especially when I know I'm gunning for an achievement.
The sounds need to be varied!

hodge
10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
This has been happening alot to me lately and it sucks! Playing on all these shit games and I keep thinking that I've finally unlocked the achievement I've been after, but it just turns out to be a friend =[

Ligerblaze
10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I thought from the title that you were asking if having friends was an achievement... haha... anyways. Yeah that happens to me a lot, I hate when its one of those "Do this in X amount of seconds/minutes" and i hear the achievement noise, so i stop, and then its ruined and i have to start over.

the Damage617
10-11-2010, 09:50 PM
haha yup this happens to me all the time, and it drives me crazy..

mitchcraft1980
10-11-2010, 10:04 PM
there is an option to turn this off you know, i am newish to xbox but i defiantly remember seeing that option, hold on i will go look then edit this post.

EDIT : OK press the xbox button the scroll to the right then select notifications and you can un-tick the box's. It does how ever say it might not stop certain notifications regardless to the option being switched off but that's probably just crap like the controller being switched off or disc cant be read ... you know something more important than a mate coming on line lol.

IDK give it a go and see if it works :)

Qonok
10-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I was playing earlier and had 6 friends come online within a 20 minute period. Lot's of "what'd I get?" then realize I got nuttin.

beezee_boi
10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Lol exactly I was trying to get that achievement on dirt where you have to drive like 2000 miles or something like that. I knew I was close and it seemed like everyone and their mama had to sign on I was getting pissed

iBlessing 09
10-11-2010, 10:28 PM
This always used to happen on Fifa, I remember I done a over head kick and scores then heard the noise and was like "WOOT I WIN AT LAUGH MWUAHAH" then it said somebody had logged in and the goal was offside.

Steelhead
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Happens on a regular basis.

KeepEmRolling
10-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah, that happens often. Most recently on the came to hear me beg achievement for Reach.

Harpua191
10-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Happens all the time on my end also. Always going for one and boom "**** is online"

makes me want to delete them

StW
10-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Hahaha regularly, and it usual happens right when a game ends or when a cut scene starts...then I am disappointed :(

Corrupt.
10-12-2010, 02:31 AM
I agree, annoying as hell, think I might see if I can turn them off...

Snowwwwy
10-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Lmao, yeh, I hate this. Always happens to me hahaha. I sometimes hear the achievement noise in my head.. dont know why lol.

dragonpwnr99
10-12-2010, 02:54 AM
haha i do ALL the time! It makes me laugh at myself but I like the friend notifications so it doesnt really bother me ;)

SilentPulse i know what your talking about i hear it in my head sometimes and i get confused LOL

bapae
10-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Every once in a while it tricks me and i get excited but that's only when im doing collection and kill x amount of enemy's with x gun.

vetteindreams
10-12-2010, 02:59 AM
only seems to happen when i am grinding some nasty achievement *the last being explorer in mafia2's dlc*

so very frustrating but i guess that's just the joy of not being able to customize sounds for actions

*bloop* yeah fk'n awesome - aww ffs!! ;)

Snowwwwy
10-12-2010, 03:08 AM
SilentPulse i know what your talking about i hear it in my head sometimes and i get confused LOL
How annoying is it ay? But I actually really think I get an achievement. Its scary when it happens when Im not even playing xbox :p

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 03:31 AM
OK you know how i said you can switch off the announcements?

WELL IT WORKS BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it turns of the achievements announcements insted lmfao .

I was away to make a thread bitching that i had collected all the containers on the alien campaign and completed it on hard but never go the achievements for it until i looked on my dashboard achevs list and there they were and suddenly i remembered this thread , so yeah the option to switch them off does the complete opposite of what we want it to do , instead of telling us what achevs we got it tells us what friends are on ... PMSL how lame !!!

hydrosugar
10-12-2010, 08:59 AM
this has happened to me and the most annoying thing is the timing...i mean the worst was when i was doing the 300 wins in fifa 07(i was on around 315 - yeah an ea game glitched...shock and awe:eek:) so i kept at it assuming at the end of any given match it would come up. so i won the match and right on queue *pop* your friend is online...@#%$!@$%@#@$%@%#$@!$:mad:

yeah lol i didnt mind playing the game more but its just the way it tricks you

also when ur watching a movie it can bug u but in that case i usually just put my status as busy

Kanaima
12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
All the time. I wish I could change the sound to the sound of glass smashing.

chucky3ds
12-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Yes I do indeed. It's especially painful when you're trying to get an achievement you've been working your a** off for and then you hear that sound! Yes! I finally got it... oh wait, it's xXbobXx :mad:

MapleMire
12-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Always when I'm aiming for an achievement. If I really know them well then I send them a message saying "Damn you" haha

Burning Revolver
12-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Haha, yes, I do have some moments where I'm either trying to get an achievement or I'm expecting one to unlock, and then I see the message and think I've got it, then I see it's someone on my friends list and think "Aww f*ck!". No offense to anyone who is on my friends list for XBL, but when it happens it kind of annoys me a bit when I'm in a tizzy over trying to get a difficult achievement for a game.

Kaktus Fuz
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes, really irritating. I want to be able to turn off the notifications for friends logging on, but still keep the notifications for achievements unlocking. MS really should add this to the next update.

SN1P3RSTU113
12-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Same here. They need to make the sound of a friend coming online different or something :)

chopperrette
12-12-2010, 02:25 PM
It happens too often. I never understand why they choose the same beep for achievement and friend online...

Panic!
12-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Jeez, I HATE when that happens. When I'm going for an achievement hoping I've done it correctly I go 'YAY!' then it turns to '...oh...' when someone has signed online. Extremely irritating.

bazariah
12-12-2010, 02:34 PM
quite a lot of the time it happens to me when im hunting for a cheevo, doesnt realy bother me too much though

what bothers me is when the same person signs in then signs out to sign in again over the course of five minutes, it's like mate i know you're there you dont have to show me every seconds im not gonna forget about you

Kairi
12-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah, it really annoys me too. Especially if I am trying to go for an achievement and I think I'm about to get it but it's just a friend.

Blizzard-1
12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
All the time, they really do need to come up with a new sound when a friend comes online.

GORQITO
12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
LOL yeah when your playing a game that needs a certain amount of kills or something like that for an achievement and then suddenly you hear the BEEP and you think yippeee , then you read it and realise it was a friend just came on line lol.

There is an option to switch this off in the settings somewhere i know but someone must of had a bad connection just now cos they were coming on and off every minute so i kept getting excited then saw it was my mate lol 4

Anyone else ever think this too?

Hah when I read the title of this topic I was like WTF? But yeah you're totally right. I hate it when that happens. You're happy for like a split second then you realize it's just a friend.

SarkothelSheyd
12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Recently I managed to get the exact opposite thing. I was gunning for an achievement, heard the sound, ignored the text, believing that it was just a friend coming online and played for around another hour, before looking at my achievements and noticing that it was already there. I wasn't shure if to be happy for getting it or angry at myself for not noticing.

DarkDraco90
12-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes I do indeed. It's especially painful when you're trying to get an achievement you've been working your a** off for and then you hear that sound! Yes! I finally got it... oh wait, it's xXbobXx :mad: You described it perfectly just how it is for me

DENAz666
12-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah only time it doesn't fool me is if I'm on the dash :P

And totally agree with the above post, when your going for that really tough achievements and someone comes online. Its like from bliss to hell in one second :P OH YES I GOT THE.. FAAAARKKK

FFFreak1129
12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah I do that. I wish they change the sound for friends logging in. I'll be grinding an achievement and think I finally have it, but its just someone logging in. Sometimes the friend logs in and I see that first, and then right after I get the pop up for the achievement.

McGoogles
12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
It has happened to me several times and it always happens when I'm going for that annoying achievement that takes a tremendous amount of time to get (e.g. For Singularity, the achievement for playing 100 matches of Extermination).

And when this unfortunate event happens, I usually end up deleting the friend that made me think the achievement popped up. :p

TAI JASON
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
More dangerous is that:

You need to be concentrated as hell for one achivement, it's absolutly silent, sweat and tears drop from you head, you right before the achivement and the....BAAAAM, the phone rings, your doorbell rings, your friend come online, your pad-battery runs low, something outside you house make a loud noise...argh XD

Cable Player
12-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Haha! I do this all the time!
I reckon my friends have it sussed. I was trying to get the DMR "Cross-Mappin'" achievement on Halo yesterday and one of my friends was continuously joining and leaving the party. That achievement was so buggy for me and a mate, it didnt unlock untill about 15 minutes into the game, within 30 seconds, for both of us and we both cheered. - Proves how much of a life we have xP

michael_
12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
yeah, happens a lot, someone comesonline i think 'yes' look at it and think: oh it's not an an archievements :(

Eiserner Juppie
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, that happened a few times to me, too. But good to see that we are not alone.^^
The worst thing for me was when I was after a glitched achievement and right at the point where it should pop up I heard the sound and jumped up just to see that it was one of my friends coming online. So annoying...