PDA

View Full Version : Some networking help please!

mjstokes85
10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I have recently moved house and now have my 360 connected wireless as opposed to it being 3 feet from my router like it used to be. I have been suffering from a lot of disconnections of late and have been reading up on port forwarding, dmz, static IP etc. So at the moment I assume my 360 uses a dynamic IP that changes everytime I turn it on, would that sound correct? So I can't put it in a DMZ or port forward because the IP is ever changing. So do I have to set up a static IP to be able to port forward and does this have to be outside the range of the dynamic IPs? This is the jist I have got from reading various posts on the internet for the past 4 hours. Can someone just confirm or not what I am thinking about doing is the correct thing?! Thanks :woop:

Also I need to know if I set a static IP for my 360 can I still have my other devices use a DHCP? I don't want to have to assign static to everything!

Mr Snipey
10-12-2010, 04:41 PM
When you get disconnected, are you still on the Internet? Can you browse from your PC etc? It may be the DSL going down, so check that first.

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
what kind of router is it and i may be able to tell you the best way to set it up

mjstokes85
10-12-2010, 05:06 PM
The internet on my PC works fine, that is wired and never goes off. It's just randomly losing connection on my xbox with the wireless adapter. My router is a SKY DLINK DSL 2640S I am playing about now with the config etc, my xbox is online downstairs connected, yet there is no mention of it anywhere in the router config settings!

Pez
10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Sounds to me that you've jumped a step too far.

Even though your 360 was previously connected via an ethernet cable it would still have been being assigned a dynamic IP address via DHCP. So in theory even though you've changed to wireless, you're still receiving your IP address the same way and if it worked previously, it should work now.

Like the question above is it just your 360 being disconnected or everything on your network? Is it just your wireless devices or is it every networked device (if you have any connected via ethernet)?

You could try changing the broadcast channel of your wireless as it may be conflicting with another wireless network being broadcast. It could also be being caused by cordless phones or microwaves but that happens less nowadays.

If it's your whole network is the router indicating the fact it's dropping connection via the lights on it (if it has any)?

EDIT: This is me making the assumption of you having the same router now as you did in your old house. Have you changed routers at all?

EDIT2: Completely missed your post above. Try changing the broadcast channel of your wireless see if that helps anything.

mjstokes85
10-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Ok just playing around with it, got my mac address etc, reserved an IP for my xbox within the dhcp range, and added that IP to the DMZ server list. Just tested the xbox and it connects fine and seems to working ok, so is that it now am I done?

mjstokes85
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Sounds to me that you've jumped a step too far.

Even though your 360 was previously connected via an ethernet cable it would still have been being assigned a dynamic IP address via DHCP. So in theory even though you've changed to wireless, you're still receiving your IP address the same way and if it worked previously, it should work now.

Like the question above is it just your 360 being disconnected or everything on your network? Is it just your wireless devices or is it every networked device (if you have any connected via ethernet)?

You could try changing the broadcast channel of your wireless as it may be conflicting with another wireless network being broadcast. It could also be being caused by cordless phones or microwaves but that happens less nowadays.

If it's your whole network is the router indicating the fact it's dropping connection via the lights on it (if it has any)?

EDIT: This is me making the assumption of you having the same router now as you did in your old house. Have you changed routers at all?

I have a new router now! I have checked the cordless phone frequency range and it is nowhere near any of the 11 channels on wireless. It's difficult to know if it is the router as that is upstairs and my xbox is downstairs so I can't keep an eye on it really! I will see how it goes tonight now I have tinkered a bit.

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 05:23 PM
well yes you can set up an ip for your xbox , try that first , go in to system settings then network settings click on the basic settings and have the IP SETTINGS IP ADDRESS etc highlited then press A button then you can set up your own prefered ip for your xbox but first check what all your other appliance IP adds are so you dont overlap one of them.

for example go in to your router and it should show you a list of what else is on it and have an ip number next to it for example 192.168.2.2

so when you choose your xbox ip pick a number at the end thats free so say you have 2 lap tops connected already and they are 192.168.2.1 and the other 192.168.2.2 make your xbox 192.168.2.3

Now on your router you will see the subnet mask number which you will need also to add in to your settings and also the gateway number which is actually the IP of the router its self .

the next thing to add is the DNS Server setting ( only the first one is needed ) which again is your IP add of your router .

Now you can forward some ports and not worry about the ip changing all the time

Oh and also i know it could be something simple as make sure your wlan is switched on lol

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 05:24 PM
oh you have it working lol

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
it could be picking an IP of something already on the router.

Do you want to try give it a static ip ? i can go through this with you if you want

EDIT : thats weird i thought i had replied and this thread was over with then when i came back to it it was only the first 3 posts then when i replied the full thread was there again ??? strange lol

can a mod delete this post please

mjstokes85
10-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I can now say I was online all yesterday and not one connection loss! I have the static IP set up and put my Xbox in a DMZ which has now opened my firewall on FIFA 11 from moderate to open :woop: The connection seems to be quicker now too, lets hope this is problem solved!

mjstokes85
10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Well all was nice and stable last night till the home phone rang, after a 2 min conversation I put the phone down, as soon as I did, xbox live connection lost! Now this could be one of 2 things, the cordless phone interfering with the signal, or the actual phone line interfering with the broadband. My wireless is on channel 11 at the moment, would moving to channel 6 help? My cordless phone specs are the following

Freq Range: 1.88 - 1.9ghz bandwidth - 20mhz
Channel Bandwidth: 1.728mhz

Would that interfere? Thanks :confused: