PDA

View Full Version : more networking talk

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Can you believe this .. after the discussion on routers i decided i would give my xbox a static IP as i had forwarded all the ports for the xbox its self and for streaming media to my xbox and gaming , now on my router you have to select which ip tou are forwarding these ports for .

So for example im not going to give away all my actual ip info here is how i done but with different numbers etc

In my port forwarding i had set it to open ports

•Port 88 (UDP)•Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)•Port 53 (UDP and TCP)•Port 80 (TCP)
(i also have all the media streaming ports open too)

and in my router settings i must then add the ip of the appliance i want these ports forwarded on so say my xbox ip is 192.125.2.2

i would have to enter that after the ports and check a box next to each one to enable it so i do so

I done all the other settings needed to connect to live like the gateway, subnet mask and the primary DNS server .

so you would think yeah thats fine the ports needed are now open

so i go do a test connects to live etc and then tells me that my NAT settings are too strong , i was like WTF so if i set it to automatic and it picks an IP that diesnt have any ports forwarded it works fine yet if it uses the IP i gave it especially for the ports needed to be open they NAT setting are too high. Yeah ok xbox you have lost me there lol

mjstokes85
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
How about putting your xbox IP in DMZ as opposed to opening ports?

Pez
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
UPnP FTW!

How about assigning your 360 an IP address in DHCP? See how that rolls?

Or alternatively stick it in the DMZ.

Gun-Nut
10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
If the NAT is Open without a Static IP is there a problem? I had a router a few months back that would only allow Open NAT if the 360 got the IP itself if I set it up as Static and Port Forwarded no luck but only reason I've ever had to use Static IPs in the past was to get an Open NAT.

Either way that router died like a month after having it but new one I have works just the same no need to setup a Static IP really if its all working without one :)