PDA

View Full Version : So, which game deserves GOTY?

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I gotta go with RDR. everything about the game is perfect. it literally has no flaws. whoever says otherwise is just nitpicking at extremely minor details. the story is excellent, the characters are excellent, the gameplay is excellent, the graphics are excellent, everything about this game is top quality. so far, i think Reach, RDR, ME2, God of War 3, and that rehashed mario game have the best shots at GOTY.

SSJ3
10-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I think Reach is going to win, even though I didn't like the game I can see it wining. BTW there's quite a few threads on this already.

coed234
10-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Mass Effect 2 because IMO it improved a lot from the first one and the carry over effects from 1 -> 2 and eventually 2 -> 3.

WillScot55
10-12-2010, 07:27 PM
not to nitpick or anything but the middle of Red Dead is really boring

The Tarbender
10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
My vote is on Mass Effect 2, The game play improved and the story kept you engaged all the way through the game. Besides Bioware deserves it for making great games in general, their last GOTY was StarWar:KOtOR.

martdude16
10-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Yeah I agree, it's a good game but I just didn't enjoy it that much. Plus I think the multiplayer sucks...

Mass Effect 2 for me.

Jwalks755
10-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Reach for me wins graphically hands down. Storyline though I agree with RDR. Though it may be slow in some areas it is definitely the most thought out game story wise and environment wise. It's a toss up between those 2.

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
i couldn't quite say tbh as i only got back in to gaming 2 weeks ago when i bought my xbox so i aint been up to date with everything lately but from what i see everyone talking about it would prob be halo

Tufty
10-12-2010, 07:53 PM
I think Reach is going to win, even though I didn't like the game I can see it wining. BTW there's quite a few threads on this already.

You do realise that there's not actually a game of the year awards don't you?

Anyway, I have a list of game that I think should release a GOTY edition, for good reasons, not just so developers can catch up on sales for the people who never bought their DLC.

Also, this is ranked by most deserving at the top.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Alan Wake
3. Battlefield Bad Company 2

Ben Sharpe
10-12-2010, 08:02 PM
My GOTY so far is:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Alan Wake
3. Halo: Reach
4. Bad Company 2
5. RDR

In that order.

Chaosx721
10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
There's already like 5 threads about this.

But if we are talking about overall in games, I'd go with Starcraft 2, that game is seriously perfect. If we are just talking consoles, from what I've played(which isn't much) would be a tie between Halo reach and Alan Wake.

What I think would win is RDR.

the Damage617
10-12-2010, 08:16 PM

It did drag a little in the middle, but the story IMO was still very very strong.

Anyways to stay on topic my picks are games i've played. So Alan Wake won't be on the list like most people(since i haven't picked it up yet, soon though.)

1.RDR
2.Halo: Reach (This is probably a homer pick, since I love the Halo series)
3. Mass Effect 2
4. NHL 2011 :-p

Grant SK
10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Mass Effect 2, hands down.

The year is far from over, though...

CONKER1182
10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Red Dead Redemption FTW!

Chipsonfire
10-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the only game released this year that I've even played is Dante's Inferno, and I don't think that deserves a Game of the Year. From what I've heard, though, I'd say Reach or Alan Wake.

Skepsis93
10-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Red Dead, no competition.

iBlessing 09
10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
ME2, definately.

KeepEmRolling
10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
My pick goes to RDR. There were a couple of slow spots in the game, but for me, the overall story was great.

Spoony Bard
10-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm gonna say (based solely on screenshots, interviews, and trailers) that Fallout New Vegas will be GOTY.

Didn't care for RDR; wouldn't surprise me to hear it take top honours though, as people seem to be fanatical about the game. Graphics and gameplay are quite good, but I must have been playing a different game when it came to story.

SaintKnight
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
In this huge year for games, I'm gonna say these are my top 3:

1) Halo Reach
2) Alan Wake
3) Mass Effect 2

Honorable Mention: Red Dead Redemption. It's a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, but for some reason the multiplayer doesn't do anything special for me.

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm gonna say (based solely on screenshots, interviews, and trailers) that Fallout New Vegas will be GOTY.

Didn't care for RDR; wouldn't surprise me to hear it take top honours though, as people seem to be fanatical about the game. Graphics and gameplay are quite good, but I must have been playing a different game when it came to story.

i'm a Fallout junkie, but i can't see NV winning GOTY. it will be a fantastic game no doubt, but i can see a lot of factors that will hinder it from winning GOTY. originality, dated graphics, etc. still, getting it the first day and playing the hell out of it for sure.

In this huge year for games, I'm gonna say these are my top 3:

1) Halo Reach
2) Alan Wake
3) Mass Effect 2

Honorable Mention: Red Dead Redemption. It's a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, but for some reason the multiplayer doesn't do anything special for me.

yeah, the multiplayer is probably the games weakest aspect. it's a love it or hate it affair. while it can be frustrating, i love it. though i haven't played it much recently because of the campers. still, RDRs multiplayer has a rather strong following and if i remember right, is in the top 10 for most played games on XBL.

Mass Effect 2, hands down.

The year is far from over, though...

not many games coming out from this point on that will be GOTY, IMO. black ops may be a contender, but GOTY? maybe from some websites, but not many. Medal of Honor is a flop, has like a 75% average. as much as i love assassin's creed, brotherhood is really just an expansion and probably won't be GOTY, though it will be very good.

Mass Effect 2 because IMO it improved a lot from the first one and the carry over effects from 1 -> 2 and eventually 2 -> 3.

ME2 was a fantastic game, though i'm critical about of a few things. first, the RPG mechanics have been severely dumbed down, so much so that sometimes i feel i'm not even playing an RPG. also, some of the battles feel drawn out and somewhat tedious. not to mention the battles themselves became predictable, you can tell you were about to be in a firefight when you entered an area with a bunch of cover spots. personally, i enjoyed DA:O more, though that came out last year.

Plym
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Street Fighter IV

Elit3 m0nkey
10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I am waiting till the end of the year to pick my final choice but so far it is Mass Effect 2. Not even Reach was better than it (in my opinion) which is saying a lot since I am a big Halo fan. Only game that can be ME2 for me is Fallout New Vegas.

ProtoEXE28
10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Mass Effect 2 is the only right answer

TriRock
10-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Mass Effect 2 has my vote.

I doubt Fallout New Vegas will thrill me as much, but I won't complain if it does. :D

NomoreNiceGuy
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
So far
1. Alan Wake
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead
4. Halo Reach
5. Splinter Cell: Conviction

GSDragon
10-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Definitely Mass Effect 2 as of now, the game's a masterpiece. Unless New Vegas amazing me more than ME2.

Burning Karma
10-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Based only off the games that I've played so far, I'd give it to Mass Effect 2. What a spectacular game. Runner up is Halo: Reach.

Giptuc
10-13-2010, 02:06 AM
As i posted in the other thread. Fallout: New Vegas will win it.

Grant SK
10-13-2010, 02:07 AM
not many games coming out from this point on that will be GOTY, IMO. black ops may be a contender, but GOTY? maybe from some websites, but not many. Medal of Honor is a flop, has like a 75% average. as much as i love assassin's creed, brotherhood is really just an expansion and probably won't be GOTY, though it will be very good.

Black Ops will get some GotY award somewhere.

I think Fable III could have a shot too.

Unterofficer
10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Black Ops will get some GotY award somewhere.
And Van Damme has gained at least some award for his acting, but it doesn't make him a good actor, and neither will that GotY award make BO a real GotY.

I'm still at the same situation, that I have to vote Final Fantasy XIII as it has been the most balanced and the most funniest game to play from this year. It also has good story, characters and the gameplay is pretty top notch. Yeas it has some flaws, but it is still the best game from this year on my books.

Altough overall GotY will definetly go for Civilization 5.

Pez
10-13-2010, 05:34 PM
It's no biggie if a game doesn't win Game of the Year anyways, they'll release it as an ultimate edition instead.

I reckon Red Dead Redemption is a good call and I enjoyed it but it'll ironically go to Black Ops or something, a replica of the two previous in the series.