PDA

View Full Version : A scary/suspenseful game for Halloween

JAW LV
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
In spirit of the upcoming Halloween holiday I am looking to play a truly scary/suspenseful game. The only game I have played in this category thus far is condemned.

Any suggestions? The only two things I want to avoid in the game are online multi-player achievements and one that has no to very little DLC. With that said Resident Evil 5 is marked off my list... it has a little of both doesn't it??

CONKER1182
10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Saw is a good game to get thats scary that has no multiplayer and DLC.

Conquer59
10-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Dead Space, Shellshock 2 ,F.E.A.R and F.E.A.R 2, Jericho( also easy 1000) , Condemned 2: Bloodshot, Alone in the dark, SAw. Mabye their are some more but i just listed all the horror games on the 360

Nathan WV10
10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I suggest you should go and pick up Fear 1 and 2. There both really good games and make you jump at times and also it can get you ready for when Fear 3 comes out.

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
The only game that has TRULY scared the crap out of me was DEAD SPACE, AVP did a little when i first played as the marine and heard the motion detector bleeping away lol but i got over that pretty quick but DEAD SPACE i couldnt even complete cos no one would play it with me and it freaked me out too much to play alone after a while so yeah if you want freaky as hell get that

CONKER1182
10-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I suggest you should go and pick up Fear 1 and 2. There both really good games and make you jump at times and also it can get you ready for when Fear 3 comes out.

But if you don't like hard time consuming achievements don't get Fears 1 & 2. If you want to get an easy 1k game get SAW.

mitchcraft1980
10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
i had saw for the pc , its not bad but i thought it would be much more scary than it is. FEAR 1&2 yeah they are better imo than saw if you ask me but like i said my vote is on dead space

JAW LV
10-12-2010, 09:23 PM
But if you don't like hard time consuming achievements don't get Fears 1 & 2. If you want to get an easy 1k game get SAW.

I'm always up for a challenge; I just don't want a game where there is a long grinding online cheeve- like getting lvl 100 on Gears of War 2.

Looks like both Fear games are the way to go; Dead Space sounds good too. I might check out Saw, I heard it was a horrible & boring game though. Hopefully Blockbuster has one of these games mentioned above, if not I will be searching Ebay.

Spoony Bard
10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I'll co-sign Clive Barker's Jericho; great art design really helped to create a disturbing experience. I don't know that I was outright scared, but certainly on edge because of the game.

Deadly Premonition has some creepy moments too. If it didn't reek of "budget title" it probably would have been even better.

CMCX360
10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I hear Limbo is pretty good. ;)

Tufty
10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I recommend Dead Space, when you get into it it's not scary, but at the beginning it plays with your mind. Just when you think there's going to be no creepy autistic alien there's a creepy autistic alien.

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-12-2010, 10:21 PM
not an X360 game, but amnesia: the dark descent is by far the scariest game i've played in years. truly terrifying experience where you are literally helpless. you wake up in a huge, empty castle and have to look for answers. if you're a fan of lovecraft and horror games, definitely check this game out. it has very low system requirements and is only $20 or so on Steam.

AaronSunderland
10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd say either Saw, Dead Space or Alan Wake.

I think Alan Wake is a fantastic game and is delivered in episodes which are ideal for you if you are a busy person.

TriRock
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Hannah Montana. It'll make you scream, cry, and beg this is just a nightmare and not based on reality.

Death Metal Jim
10-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Fatal Frame (which is backward compatible with the 360), it makes all these other games look like kiddie games.

Condemned was pretty good as well as a 360 exclusive horror game. The 2nd one, not so much.

Eques De Valor
10-13-2010, 03:59 AM
My vote is for Dead Space. Even things I had seen beforehand in trailers and "making of" vids scared me in the game.

CONKER1182
10-13-2010, 04:07 AM
If your looking for a scary game thats not on Xbox 360 these are the scariest games I`ve played Doom 3 on pc and Silent Hills 3 & 4 on PlayStation 2, Xbox 1, pc.

Pez
10-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Dead Space would be my recommendation. I briefly played it on the PS3 and it was awesome.

You could also check out Condemned 2 if you can look past the online achievements.

SKIBADABOMSKI
10-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Forget about achievements and play F.E,A.R. 2 ... set it to normal and stick some headphones on, dim the lights and away you go.

Same with Condemned, just set it to normal or easy and enjoy the scary shit. Seriously I love those spooky games and I think only Silent Hill did I get 100% oh and Shellshock but they weren't scary.

Have fun.... never tried Dead Space so I'll be ordering that soon.

ChizCafe
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I say if you want an easy 1000 then Saw its also very funny,
But like everyone else my vote goes toward a game thats not so hard to 1000 and its fun with a good story and will SCARE THE LIVING PISS OUT OF YOU....Dead Space
And play it at night on halloween in the dark.
Your serial killer if this game doesnt scare you.

TheLastAntidote
10-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm going to jump on the Dead Space band wagon and say go with that. There's no multiplayer achievements, and the 1000g is easily obtainable. Plus the game is fun as hell, and eerie at most times.

Unterofficer
10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Fatal Frame (which is backward compatible with the 360), it makes all these other games look like kiddie games.
Second this. Get the second one if you can find it, or if you have a PS2, then the third one, as those two are the scariest games of the series. Also as Death Metal Jim said Fatal Frames make every horrorgame for Xbox360 look like kiddie game.

The Amnesia was also really good game and worth a shot.

Cornholio
10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Alone In The Dark is great for xbox360, because you feel so helpless against those creatures without spray guns or other fire weapons.
Also the controls are bit clunky so that just adds the "being helpless" effect :)

Very underrated game!

Stingerano
10-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Second this. Get the second one if you can find it, or if you have a PS2, then the third one, as those two are the scariest games of the series. Also as Death Metal Jim said Fatal Frames make every horrorgame for Xbox360 look like kiddie game.

The Amnesia was also really good game and worth a shot.

agreed! Fatal Frame is really good, especially the 2nd one :woop:

DeekBoy
10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
SAW wasn't too bad at all and the sequel is coming out :D
AVP got creepy as a Marine
i know that FEAR has some bitch achievements but its a good thriller of a game!
Condemned 2
im basically saying the same thing others are saying. go for SAW though if you want a easy 1000 and a kinda scary game

Bubble Supreme
10-13-2010, 06:56 PM
My friend recommended Dead Space to me as he loves it. I played it for 10-15mins and that's all I could stomach. I just can't play it lol :o

iBlessing 09
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Lost, it's actually scary at 3am :D

Pentexrx8
10-13-2010, 07:22 PM
You already beat it, but BioShock was somewhat suspensful, I guess. I remember parts of that game had the hair on my neck standing.

Wortsenawl
10-13-2010, 08:42 PM
So ignoring all the eedgiots who can't be bothered to read your requirements of no multiplayer and < DLC the better, should allow you to discount FEAR, FEAR 2 & Condemned 2.

Dead Space is a great game, though I don't think it is scary, but it is a bloody mess of Zombie like creatures and limbs being torn asunder. It is also a good 20-30 hours of gameplay.

Otherwise, I would take a gamble on Deadly Premonition, though reviews seem to suggest it is a love it or hate it title. It is being released in the UK at the end of October and I have pre-ordered it as I like horror games and for <$25 (16) for a brand new title, I figure it is worth a punt.

JAW LV
10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
So ignoring all the eedgiots who can't be bothered to read your requirements of no multiplayer and < DLC the better, should allow you to discount FEAR, FEAR 2 & Condemned 2

Lol, it's ok.... I take the time to review the games on x360a before renting/buying. With that said I saw that Fear 2 was not up my ally. Too bad though, seems like a great game.

You already beat it, but BioShock was somewhat suspensful, I guess. I remember parts of that game had the hair on my neck standing.

I'm actually debating to rent this game again as I never got the brass balls cheeve- I played this game about 1 week before I got on live/gold memmbership for the first time. Once I had my first update I noticed this game was no longer 100% :mad:

Burning Revolver
10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Dead Space and the first F.E.A.R game, maybe the second one too, are must haves if you want something that's spooky, while Alan Wake is great for an action/survival horror style game. It's like playing an interactive Stephen King mini series and it has a great level of suspense to it too.

DiGGeR
10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I'll throw a vote in for Dead Space, great game and the atmosphere/sound is definitely scary.

mitchcraft1980
10-13-2010, 10:22 PM
My friend recommended Dead Space to me as he loves it. I played it for 10-15mins and that's all I could stomach. I just can't play it lol :o
Lost, it's actually scary at 3am :D

LOL i actually started playing it last xmas time , it was about 2am so pitch black outside and i had a superb surround sound system which my gaming chair sits in the perfect spot in the middle of my room for the surround sound to work , jeysus i was creaming it, i could only play it a few hours at a time then my mate got it i begged him to play it together on his ps3 but he kept putting it off , i think he had played it and wouldnt admit to how much it freaked him out lmao

DocRevolt
10-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Go get SAW and then get pumped up for SAW II coming out this month. Oh, and get Condemned 2. It does have online achievements but the online is actually quite fun and (surprisingly enough) there are actually a few people who still play it regularly. It's the kind of game where if you play it on a Friday or Saturday you'll easily be able to get into a full game.

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-13-2010, 11:26 PM
i'm surprised no one has mentioned amnesia other then myself. it may not be on the 360, but is far and away the scariest game mentioned in this thread. try out the demo, at least.

bigbear2face
10-14-2010, 12:11 AM
I'd say either Saw, Dead Space or Alan Wake.

I think Alan Wake is a fantastic game and is delivered in episodes which are ideal for you if you are a busy person.

My suggestions as well. I loved Alan Wake and I just downloaded and am playing through Dead Space and love it so far. Definately games that keep you on the edge.

DogSoldier255
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
My best recommendation would probably Dead Space.

Jian
10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Alan Wake and Deadspace for sure. Silent Hill is pretty creepy as well, but a lot of people didn't like it that much.

JAW LV
10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Got Dead Space on my Blockbuster queue, I should get it next Monday or so. I really wanted to play Fear 2 but I am turned off by the online grinding. After Dead Space I will get Saw. Just got my turtle beach headphones in the mail yesterday so I am looking forward to the full experience.

TY for all the wonderful input thus far, this research would have taken me a lot longer without this thread :woop:

MackeMan
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Alan Wake
Dead Space

playah is kradz
10-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I thought Saw was pretty interesting. I know that next week, a second saw game is coming out, and I will definitely pick it up. Both these games have no multiplayer or DLC. So it's a easy fun couple 1000's.

Damian227
10-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Dead Space, scariest game on the 360 by far, right up there with Condemned. Nothing else has been remotely scary yet (that I've played) but just starting F.E.A.R. myelf

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Dead Space, scariest game on the 360 by far, right up there with Condemned. Nothing else has been remotely scary yet (that I've played) but just starting F.E.A.R. myelf

there are no scary games on the 360. games like dead space and FEAR may be classified as horror, but you have a ton of bullets and guns to kill a bunch of baddies. not really horror material. more like action horror. not bad games at all mind you, but scary? nah. not at all...

EliteShadowMan
10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Why do people keep saying Saw? the game wasn't scary at all. It was a little fun but it was just a tad short of being as good as the average game.

Play Dead Space, Silent Hill, Condemned 1/2, Alan Wake. There really isn't many scary games on 360 so :(

KFZ Scrubs
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Dead Space, the 2 FEAR games and jericho are the only games i can think of that can be quite scary (although i think the FEAR games have multiplayer achievements)

Wortsenawl
10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
there are no scary games on the 360...

Condemned is creepy as hell as I would say it is definitely a scary game... playing through with melee only also adds a little as you can't run away screaming like a girl while blindly firing your weapon... all you are left with is running away screaming like a little girl!

Even after three play throughs there are certain points in the game (department store and basement) that creep me out and I don't get scared easily (aside from clowns, but they aint nat'ral like!)

Typeonegativ71
10-15-2010, 03:54 PM
This would have been my suggestion as well. I have played through the game about 6 or 7 times and it never fails to send cold shivers down my spine time and time again. Dead Space was fun but I think aliens are no match for ghosts in terms of creepiness. Fatal Frame's storyline really sets the tone as well.

Also, your only defense is a camera so no hiding behind BFGs and Chainsaws with this game.

Wortsenawl
10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I think I will have to see if I can get hold of a copy. Assume it is PAL as I have never heard of it.

The Tarbender
10-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Alan Wake and Deadspace for sure. Silent Hill is pretty creepy as well, but a lot of people didn't like it that much.
I'd recommend these too

Burning Revolver
10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
It's also known as Project Zero in some territories, and it's a game by Tecmo that tells the story of a girl who's looking for missing brother, and you come across hostile ghosts you have to defeat by photographing them as they come at you.

I had it on PS2, but I never played it much because I wasn't into it at the time for some reason. If you can get it on XBox though, it's probably worth a look, because it's quite a creepy game.

EliteShadowMan
10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
It's also known as Project Zero in some territories, and it's a game by Tecmo that tells the story of a girl who's looking for missing brother, and you come across hostile ghosts you have to defeat by photographing them as they come at you.

I had it on PS2, but I never played it much because I wasn't into it at the time for some reason. If you can get it on XBox though, it's probably worth a look, because it's quite a creepy game.

You can get the first 2 Fatal Frame's on Xbox and they have extra stuff that the PS2 versions didn't. There's also 4 total, the first 3 being on PS2, first 2 on xbox, and the 4th only on the wii and only japan only :(.

But i would play Fatal Frame 2 or 3 before 1 since they're the better versions of the game, and i don't think you need to play the first to understand anything