PDA

View Full Version : What are your gaming goals?

kennyubasterd00
10-13-2010, 01:33 AM
I'd just like to know what everyone shoots for when it comes to collecting achievements.

What do you go for?

Point percentage: Trying to get every point and achievement in every game for a 100% completion rate. "Difficulty doesn't matter, I'll still go get it."
Achievement count: Getting as many individual achievements as possible reguardless of points or game completion. "Gamer score is pointless, getting the most achievements possible in the least amount of time takes real skill."
Gamer Score: Get the most number of points physically possible reguardless of completion percent. "If I'm having trouble getting a hard achievement or it's not worth a lot, I'll skip it and move on."
Game Completion: Main objective is beating the story or playing MP. "I don't care about achievements, I just wanna beat the game."

Chaosx721
10-13-2010, 01:42 AM
After ruining Alan Wake for myself, I've went back to what I use to do which is just play the game like any other game I use to back in last gen. So I'll play the the game, explore as much as I want to, and just enjoy it and have fun. I do go and look at a achievement guide to see how many playthrough it will take to 100% the game, and if its 1 then I'll look at missable achievements and make sure I get them. But that's about all I will do.

French_Kid
10-13-2010, 02:58 AM
hmm...thats a tricky one...usually i try to do everything at once...but sometimes if i really enjoy the game..i will do multiple play throughs to finish up the last acahievement.

overall...its for fun though. I will bore and annoy myself with grinding out achievements though...like forza 3...50+ hours done and just under 50% completed lol

vetteindreams
10-13-2010, 03:06 AM
i play for fun, checking guides to see the percentage of collectibles present and then using a guide to get them (because to me collectibles aren't fun)

i guess i haven't really thought about which of your suggestions best suits me - i think it's somewhere between points percentage and pop - i usually only complete a game if i am enjoying everything

The Tarbender
10-13-2010, 03:33 AM
I play the game just solely for fun the first time, maybe check what achievements are likely to get and keep them in mind while playing. I want to enjoy the game, after all that is why we spend so much money on them.

After that I take a look at how many points I did get, what achievements I missed and how much of it is actually complete. If I missed a few achievements I will tend to go back and try and get them just so that I can have the gratification of knowing that I finished it ALL! I don't worry about difficult achievements or ones that have as much to do with luck as anything else.

I do enjoy completing all the point and getting that icon up on my completed sheet but I am more concerned with keeping it fun and knowing that I have achieved the score I have.

Vanilla Coke Zero
10-13-2010, 03:38 AM
just to play all the great, new games coming out. :)

SevenJesterHats
10-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Point percentage: Trying to get every point and achievement in every game for a 100% completion rate. "Difficulty doesn't matter, I'll still go get it."

This one! :)

Snowwwwy
10-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Not alot of goals for tbh.. one is obviously to pass the game on a reasonable difficulty and two.. get as many achievements as possible for the game :D

Aceman417
10-13-2010, 08:07 AM
One of my goals is just to get the most fun out of the games while getting the achievements as well... Another is getting as many achievements as I can for all the games that I have.

Snowwwwy
10-13-2010, 08:18 AM
One of my goals is just to get the most fun out of the games.
Oh yeh, I forgot about that. I try and have some fun too obviously :p

xTSx KeZZa
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
I used to play for the fun off it achievements didnt even cross my mind until my boyfriend became an achievement ho and that gave me the drive to try and beat him, hes current sitting on 74,500 at min hes stopped going for achievements but im still going. I do enjoy the games and play to complete them but i would check and see what would be the best the way to play the game to get as much achievements as possible. I am currently on 50,000 so when i catch up to him i will stop and play the games for the fun

Sayam
10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
I think it's a little of the older gammer in me (only 28 :S) but from back when there wasn't things to unlock really. Only a harder setting or new get up's thanks resi! I tend to play a game for the story and the fun of the game. If the games is really bad AvP I won't even bother! I did the marines but couldn't manage the rest.

Personaly I think a lot of the achievo's are poor choices take AvP for expamle. Online achievements are a big fail as if you get it later on, as it might have been a game you thought about but not at full price your screwed as no ones online anymore!

mrj3d
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm good question.

Usually when I playing, I try to get all the achievements I can, but if an achievement is insanely difficult, or just generally driving me crazy, I cut my losses. As long as I've had fun with the game, I'm happy.

I love my achievements, but if I can't 1000 a game, I'm not gonna cry about it.

Enki
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I am just playing for entertainment, no achievementwhoring or something. Games should be fun, not stress.

mitchcraft1980
10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
to get my first 1000 from a game

emul8ter25
10-13-2010, 04:09 PM
To have fun and try not to worry about achievements so much

Burning Revolver
10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I generally play the game for enjoyment at first and then try and get any achievements I missed after I finished the main mode. If the game has achievements that aren't too annoying to get or they aren't too time consuming, I'll try and get 100% or somewhere near that figure. I want to try and get over half the points for most of the games I own, just to get as much as I can out of them, but if it's going to be too much of a drag to get some of the points, I'll just get whatever I can out of the game.

An example of a game I won't likely bother trying to get a lot of achievements from is GTA IV. There's way too many MP based ones, when I don't even like it's online modes all that much. Another is Gears Of War 2, because I don't want to spend thousands of points on map packs, and again I don't like it's multiplayer modes all that much.

My first rule for getting achievements from a game is to have fun getting them. If they're going to be too much of a pain in the ass to get or just plain boring (Requiring way too much grinding or doing something ridiculous for long amounts of time) then it's not really worth it, especially if you don't like the game enough to keep playing it. With that said, I think I'll review my collection and ditch any annoying games from it. Some of the games are generally just too monotonous to play through to be honest.

Importz2k9
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM

This one! :)

Same here, I have OCD. :woop:

wexnlex
10-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I like "completion" of quality games. I could play a lot of easy shit and 1k lots of games but I prefer quality titles only. Also I dont give a rats ass about DLC, but I will still buy it for games I enjoy.

MJGB
10-14-2010, 07:58 AM
I enjoy completing games, but usually, I'll play through the game on a normal difficulty first time, have a look at the achievements to see if there are obvious ones I could do (eg, Kill X enemies) and strive to get them first time. After that, if I enjoyed it, I'd usually go back to try and max as best I can.

First and foremost though, I want to make sure I play more games as with so many good games coming out 4Q and 1Q 2011, I dont want to miss a thing... *Sings to Aerosmith*