PDA

View Full Version : GameStop "PowerUp" Card

Ligerblaze
10-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Have any of you recieved this new card yet? I went in to Gamestop today to trade in a few games and the guy hands me this new card and trashes my old one without saying anything.

I guess it works on a point-based system along with the perks of the old card, but he didnt really explain much to me. Went on the website, and it didnt really tell me much either besides showing how many Points i had and what cool stuff i could get when i had thousands of points...

Anybody know what the hell this is, and how it works? The employee was no help what so ever haha.

Heres the website - poweruprewards.com

lordrex217
10-15-2010, 02:24 AM
it's basically a combination of the edge card and reward zone card (best buy). it has everything the edge card had, like discounts on used games and increased trade-in value on games, and it also allows you to accumulate points on all purchases towards gift cards and other miscellaneous things.

Ligerblaze
10-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Do you know the point equivalents of trading games and stuff like that? It'd be nice to get those 10$ off coupons, but not if it'll take forever.

lordrex217
10-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Do you know the point equivalents of trading games and stuff like that? It'd be nice to get those 10$ off coupons, but not if it'll take forever.

wasn't able to find anything solid, but i did find this over at the CAG website.

4,000pt = $5 off any pre-owned game
5,000pt = $5 off any purchase
8,000pt = $10 off any pre-owned game
10,000pt = $10 off any purchase
25,000pt = $25 off any purchase
50,000pt = $50 off any purchase

so depending on how often you shop at gamestop, it might be useful.

Burning Karma
10-15-2010, 02:53 AM
wasn't able to find anything solid, but i did find this over at the CAG website.

4,000pt = $5 off any pre-owned game
5,000pt = $5 off any purchase
8,000pt = $10 off any pre-owned game
10,000pt = $10 off any purchase
25,000pt = $25 off any purchase
50,000pt = $50 off any purchase

so depending on how often you shop at gamestop, it might be useful.
Do the points expire?

I would love to get in on this, but as I stated in the other thread about this a while back, it is currently not offered in my area.

lordrex217
10-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Do the points expire?

I would love to get in on this, but as I stated in the other thread about this a while back, it is currently not offered in my area.

I was reading over the FAQ, and it says that the account will be closed, which will forfeit all the points, if there has been no activity on that account for one year.

Skeletor
10-15-2010, 06:03 AM

The only thing I remember the GS employee stating is that you get 1 point for every dollar spent on NEW games and 2 points for every dollar spent on USED games. Not sure about trading games in though, as I think that might just be the standard 10% extra.

I'm real curious how this works with their return policy, though. As most of you know, if you purchase a used game you have 7 days to return it and get your money back. I'm wondering if the points you earn for buying a used game will stay on the account if you return the game. Anyone can stack up on points like crazy if you just bought used games and returned every single one.

If anyone who works for Gamestop would care to throw an FYI this way, feel free...

darkarchon433
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
I have been part of this since the beta version. The points for used games take about 7 days to be put on so you cannot buy and return once you get the points.
The points expire when you have 12 months of inactivity on your account.
And it counts just like a edge card with the 10% off used, and 12 month subscription to game informer.

ianke_2002
10-15-2010, 07:26 AM
that would mean like....25000 dollars spent (on pre-owned games) and 50000 dollars on new games....just to get 50 bucks off a purchase?....that seems absolutely ludicrous...unless my math is wrong.....

SmoothAsEgg5
10-15-2010, 10:10 AM
just spend money on games as you normally would... and eventually you'll spend enough to get a discount. its just a loyalty program to keep you buying games there than other places. and you get more points from used games because obviously they have a higher profit margin. its better than nothing, because you're gonna buy games anyway.

KFZ Scrubs
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
The only thing I remember the GS employee stating is that you get 1 point for every dollar spent on NEW games and 2 points for every dollar spent on USED games. Not sure about trading games in though, as I think that might just be the standard 10% extra.

I'm real curious how this works with their return policy, though. As most of you know, if you purchase a used game you have 7 days to return it and get your money back. I'm wondering if the points you earn for buying a used game will stay on the account if you return the game. Anyone can stack up on points like crazy if you just bought used games and returned every single one.

If anyone who works for Gamestop would care to throw an FYI this way, feel free...
Jesus!
If what you say about the 1 and 2 points are true.... 4,000 (being the lowest redeeming value) is going to take forever to get!

lordrex217
10-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Jesus!
If what you say about the 1 and 2 points are true.... 4,000 (being the lowest redeeming value) is going to take forever to get!

it's 10 points per dollar on new games, and 20 points per dollar on used games. you also get points for trading in games. here is the website with more info on what you get:

http://www.poweruprewards.com/Home/Benefits

dragonpwnr99
10-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Cool info guys I was woodering this as my brother got this powerup card when he bought the Halo:Reach Console, I didnt really understand how it worked but now i get it :) we got like 2000 points aalready cause he got that console with it :D

Braiiins
10-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Jesus!

I don't think this is true, if I recall correctly when I was getting mine it was like 30 points for buying new games and 50 points for buying used games, something like that...they were both in the 20-50 point range with used games being more. Those are the per dollar amounts.

You also get points for trading in games.

Guess it was already posted, nevermind.

Skeletor
10-15-2010, 10:45 PM
it's 10 points per dollar on new games, and 20 points per dollar on used games. you also get points for trading in games. here is the website with more info on what you get:

http://www.poweruprewards.com/Home/Benefits

Ha! I knew I wasn't paying THAT much attention when the guy was explaining it to me :). It's a pretty cool new program, imo, seeing as it's the same price as the Edge card w/added incentives. Albeit those incentives may take a while to pay off, it's still nice to know every purchase goes towards something that may be useful down the road.

guillermo316
10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
You get this for free, my friend got one and it looks awsome i like the silver color. i want one so i can have something in my wallet, like the only thing i have is my credit card, and a petco one i don't even know if it works.!

Burning Karma
10-16-2010, 03:01 AM
You get this for free, my friend got one and it looks awsome i like the silver color. i want one so i can have something in my wallet, like the only thing i have is my credit card, and a petco one i don't even know if it works.!
There are two versions -- one free, one $15; click the link posted and you'll see.

specVjavi
10-16-2010, 03:50 AM
it seems like a pretty cool setup, i had never really shopped at gamestop before until just recently because the other game store i liked goin to shut down. but i figure im goin to buy games anyways, might as well get rewarded for it down the road haha.

PuK3
10-18-2010, 03:59 AM

the silver card is the one you pay for(14.99 - good for one calender year). the black one is the free one. This should have active in every gamestop store today. they have been working out bugs with beta programs in select stores for awhile now.

You accumulate 10 points for every dollar spent on new games and consoles. 20 points for every dollar spent on pre-owned games and accessories. Also 20 points for every dollar earned on trading games in. There are talks of bonus points for reserving games also. Pretty cool system imo, just have to give it time to get into full swing of things.

It's obvious we are all going to buy these games anyways, at least this way we might get some free stuff along the way for doing so.

Burning Karma
10-19-2010, 01:36 AM
the silver card is the one you pay for(14.99 - good for one calender year). the black one is the free one. This should have active in every gamestop store today. they have been working out bugs with beta programs in select stores for awhile now.
Oh really? I guess I'll find out tomorrow then; gonna make a trip to the local GameStop and pre-order Dead Space 2 CE.

SillyXP
10-21-2010, 01:11 AM
yep i got it when i went the other day to preorder dead space want to get 50k points aahaha

GHLougar
10-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Nice to see I wasn't the only one wondering about this. Now I have a better understanding so can get my points!:D

bigdogsmhs306
10-21-2010, 01:57 AM
it is better than the edge card, i have one but i just dont know if some of the rewards are worth the points, they are just a little too high. if i really wanted something then i would just go buy it instead of wasting more money than it is worth.

bigdogsmhs306

Burning Karma
10-21-2010, 02:55 AM
it is better than the edge card, i have one but i just dont know if some of the rewards are worth the points, they are just a little too high. if i really wanted something then i would just go buy it instead of wasting more money than it is worth.
The way I look at it is, "Hey, I'm going to be buying stuff from GameStop anyway. Might as well get a discount sometime down the line, right?"

Ligerblaze
10-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Just checking out the rewards and had a question about one group of them, the Game Play Guarantee ones? It states that....

**Game Play Guarantee** (On one game valued under $10.00)

With the Game Play Guarantee, if something goes wrong with your favorite game – you’re covered. Under the Guarantee, any purchased game found to be defective is replaced with an identical game for up to 12 months from the date of purchase. That means you don’t have to worry about what would happen if you couldn’t get your favorite game to work. Which means more time playing your favorite game to death. Figuratively speaking of course.

But uhm... why would you get that for a game worth under $10? I noticed they have them on other amounts too, but this one just seems kind of worthless.

PuK3
10-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Just checking out the rewards and had a question about one group of them, the Game Play Guarantee ones? It states that....

**Game Play Guarantee** (On one game valued under $10.00)

With the Game Play Guarantee, if something goes wrong with your favorite game – you’re covered. Under the Guarantee, any purchased game found to be defective is replaced with an identical game for up to 12 months from the date of purchase. That means you don’t have to worry about what would happen if you couldn’t get your favorite game to work. Which means more time playing your favorite game to death. Figuratively speaking of course.

But uhm... why would you get that for a game worth under $10? I noticed they have them on other amounts too, but this one just seems kind of worthless.

That Game Play Guarantee (GPG) is actually something that many people don't know is offered by Gamestop. (At least not in my area) It ranges from $1 - $3, depending on cost of the game you want to "insure." It basically insures your game for 12 months-regardless of what happens to it. That includes the ring that some xbox laser's burn into the discs. Ask about it next time you visit your local GS. Take them by surprise. haha

Twisted Renegad
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
That Game Play Guarantee (GPG) is actually something that many people don't know is offered by Gamestop. (At least not in my area) It ranges from $1 - $3, depending on cost of the game you want to "insure." It basically insures your game for 12 months-regardless of what happens to it. That includes the ring that some xbox laser's burn into the discs. Ask about it next time you visit your local GS. Take them by surprise. haha

Other benefit of the GPG is you can switch the game at any store in the US if something is wrong with it. I do know alot of stores do not tell the customers that.

SocialTool
10-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Don't forget to activate the card, create your profile, and update your game library. That will earn you a cool 750 points. I also just got an email today. My birthday was October 20th, so I get double points until the end of the month! :woop:

Fishman
10-27-2010, 12:00 AM
The guy gave me a pamphlet, it says:

10 Points per dollar spent on all new games, consoles and strategy guides.

20 Points per dollar spent on pre-owned games, accessories and consoles.

20 Points per dollar on traded-in games.

Up to 500 points for activating online, completing you profile and establishing your game library.

Getting the 500 points was really easy; fill out a little info about you, check a couple survey boxes, then add ONE game to your library and you have 500 points.

Other than the guys at the store being rude, I think it is a pretty cool program and long overdue.

Sh4d0w5h1ft3r
11-19-2010, 05:57 AM
I'd have to say that the program is well worth it. If you just occasionally get some games, you'll get points. At first it may not seem a lot, but after a while the points start to add up. Just don't stress about it. You'll get more with time and purchases. As far as I know, you DO get points for trading games in. (Which I need to do, because I finished some games or am done with them. :P ) I do agree that the program is a little overdue, but it's nice that it's actually here now though. :D

RoG Jet12
11-19-2010, 08:37 AM
The guy gave me a pamphlet, it says:

10 Points per dollar spent on all new games, consoles and strategy guides.

20 Points per dollar spent on pre-owned games, accessories and consoles.

20 Points per dollar on traded-in games.

Up to 500 points for activating online, completing you profile and establishing your game library.

Getting the 500 points was really easy; fill out a little info about you, check a couple survey boxes, then add ONE game to your library and you have 500 points.

Other than the guys at the store being rude, I think it is a pretty cool program and long overdue. I gotta go activate mine. Easy 500 points :p

siamese snake
11-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Game in the UK have had a Reward card for years now and I must say it's certainley paid off.It's amazing how quickly you can amass the points as well and if you pre-order and purchase a game on the day of release,you get double points added to your account.