PDA

View Full Version : Query about installed Xbox games

jidnffc
10-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok this sounds daft to me but I can't figure it out.

I always install my games to hard drive to prevent wear and it always worked fine.

However I recently bought a second console so I can have one on the big shiny HiDef TV and a backup for my monitor in my room when my housemates want to watch TV.

It seems to me that the games I now install to the HD on the TV don't run from the HD when I take it out and put it in the other console, as it runs much louder and makes disc reading sounds.

So my question is if you install to HD on one console, will that console be the only one that then runs the game from HD rather than the disc or should other consoles do it as well?

I know it seems daft but I can't think of any other explanation.

Thanks

Starstrukk X360A
10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
A game disc can be installed as many times as possible. Installing one of your games on both hard drives shouldn't cause any issues.

Shelton
10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
A game disc can be installed as many times as possible. Installing one of your games on both hard drives shouldn't cause any issues.

Uh, not what he asked...

I upgraded from the Elite to the Slim a couple of months ago. I did the data transfer process and it transferred everything except for my installed games. So, I can surmise from this, that installed games are tied to the console they are installed on. :(

jidnffc
10-16-2010, 01:20 PM
So, I can surmise from this, that installed games are tied to the console they are installed on. :(

Yeah that's what I was guessed as well. Sucks if it does, 'cause you can't even install it again to work for the 2nd machine without screwing it up for the 1st one.

Ah well, thanks for the info.

iBlessing 09
10-16-2010, 02:29 PM
They aren't tied to the console you install them on. 3 of my friends MW2 discs didn't work and I let all of them install my disc to there Xbox and we all run MW2 from are consoles, not the discs, without any problems.

Gun-Nut
10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
The 360 will only load the installed files if you are using the same 360 you installed the disc on! Friend found that out some time last year since he installed a game to his HDD on another 360 got home and you get some sort of error if you try make it play from HDD.

Seems like a stupid system since if you have the disc who cares what 360 you used to install to HDD but that's just how it is.

Tufty
10-16-2010, 04:18 PM
The 360 will only load the installed files if you are using the same 360 you installed the disc on! Friend found that out some time last year since he installed a game to his HDD on another 360 got home and you get some sort of error if you try make it play from HDD.

Seems like a stupid system since if you have the disc who cares what 360 you used to install to HDD but that's just how it is.

No, that's not how it is.

I've borrowed discs to install when mine didn't work properly. Now it's fine.

Shelton
10-16-2010, 04:25 PM
No, that's not how it is.

I've borrowed discs to install when mine didn't work properly. Now it's fine.

You guys don't understand. If you install it to the HDD on your console, then move the HDD to another console, the game will no longer play from the HDD. If I install a game at my place, take my HDD to a friends, it will not play from the HDD. That's what the topic is about.

The disc is not the issue.

jidnffc
10-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

I agree with Gun-Nut, it's a stupid system but that's exactly the problem I've been having.

Ah well.

One Hit Kill
10-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was having the same problem and can confirm that installed games are tied to the console, rather than the hard drive. I recently bought a new Xbox and installed a bunch of my games on it, but had to exchange the console because it was defective. I kept the hard drive and put it in and right away noticed a large increase in load times in games that I had installed. I found this thread and it got me thinking so I timed how long it took me to load a game save, then deleted the installed game and then installed it again and then time the same load again. I found that the game loaded much, much faster after I reinstalled the game. Just thought that I would share for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread via Google.