PDA

View Full Version : Increasing the Operating Speed of the 360...

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Is it possible to increase the speed of which the 360 operates at? i feel it takes longer than it should for loading things (not games), just general 360 stuff.

such as:
general dashboard navigation
hitting guide button to send/read messages and navigate that mini-menu.
toggling between things/options

i feel like it could be faster (well should be), and would like to make it faster if i could. if anyone knows, does it technically have RAM, like a computer? is it quite similiar to a computer? if it does have RAM, how much does it have? and so on, ha ha.

thanks!

Chaosx721
10-17-2010, 04:31 AM
No you can't. The new dash that is coming out is going to make it a little faster. It does have RAM but its something you can't add too or replace. It has 512 MB GDDR3 RAM.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 05:18 AM
No you can't. The new dash that is coming out is going to make it a little faster. It does have RAM but its something you can't add too or replace. It has 512 MB GDDR3 RAM.

so, from my understanding, thats a pathetic amount of RAM, considering most computers come with 4+ gigs of RAM.

stupid microsoft, now i can see what they cheaped out on.

bapae
10-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Do you mean can you over lock the RAm, GPU and CPU of the 360? Probably can but wouldn't recommend it if you can good way to burn the system up.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Do you mean can you over lock the RAm, GPU and CPU of the 360? Probably can but wouldn't recommend it if you can good way to burn the system up.

not quite, i dont want to risk ruining it in any way, im just more curious about upgrading the RAM if i could, just so the console isnt as slow to maneuver with in menues, etc.

if u can upgrade a computer, why cant u upgrade this, know what i mean?

CONKER1182
10-17-2010, 05:46 AM
not quite, i dont want to risk ruining it in any way, im just more curious about upgrading the RAM if i could, just so the console isnt as slow to maneuver with in menues, etc.

if u can upgrade a computer, why cant u upgrade this, know what i mean?

Because Xbox 360 is a game console and not an upgradable computer DUH!

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 06:05 AM

uh, yeah, cuz i clearly didnt know that already. when it comes down to it, most of the components are the same from console to computer, they are just told to run things differently.

so, theoretically, you should be able to modify it (not what u guys are thinking, ha ha) to better enhance the console, like you would a computer.

Chaosx721
10-17-2010, 06:12 AM
so, from my understanding, thats a pathetic amount of RAM, considering most computers come with 4+ gigs of RAM.

stupid microsoft, now i can see what they cheaped out on.
360 came out 5 years ago...512 MB of RAM wasn't bad(2 GB was becoming the norm for PC at the time) and the fact its GDDR3(RAM for computers didn't start having GDDR3 in till 2007-8) was really good. Also RAM isn't the thing that the xbox relies on, its mostly the CPU and GPU.

And this! This is why computers will always be greater, computers can be upgraded and be maxed out by whats out there, console are stuck to what it was put in it when it was made. I thought this was common knowledge.

So no, its not because M$ is cheap, its a console that was made 5 years ago.

Fafnerzen
10-17-2010, 06:14 AM
It would be ideal to have the option to add RAM. Maybe that is something they should consider in the future of consoles.

StolenPaper18
10-17-2010, 06:19 AM
"Don't fix something that isn't broken."

IMO, the dashboard is fine as it is. I don't think it is slow at all.

Chaosx721
10-17-2010, 06:25 AM
It would be ideal to have the option to add RAM. Maybe that is something they should consider in the future of consoles.
RAM on the consoles isn't something that is easily replaceable. Having an option to add would just add too many problems. You would also void the warranty. And again, its about the GPU and CPU, having 6GB of RAM isn't going to do a whole lot, if anything.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 06:26 AM
360 came out 5 years ago...512 MB of RAM wasn't bad(2 GB was becoming the norm for PC at the time) and the fact its GDDR3(RAM for computers didn't start having GDDR3 in till 2007-8) was really good. Also RAM isn't the thing that the xbox relies on, its mostly the CPU and GPU.

And this! This is why computers will always be greater, computers can be upgraded and be maxed out by whats out there, console are stuck to what it was put in it when it was made. I thought this was common knowledge.

So no, its not because M$ is cheap, its a console that was made 5 years ago.

fair enough, didnt think about it and when it came out. at this point tho, have they at least upgraded the slims? to take into account current standards and advancements? or is it essentially the same hardware in a fancy new shell?

i prefer consoles since u dont always have to upgrade them to be able to play new games, just pop the disc in and your ready to go. now if we could have the option to upgrade like a computer, that would be nice.

CONKER1182
10-17-2010, 06:27 AM
"Don't fix something that isn't broken."

IMO, the dashboard is fine as it is. I don't think it is slow at all.

He just thinks his dashboard is slow.

Mongolian Beef
10-17-2010, 06:28 AM
The new dashboard better speed things up.

CONKER1182
10-17-2010, 06:29 AM
The new dashboard better speed things up.

It better.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 06:32 AM
RAM on the consoles isn't something that is easily replaceable. Having an option to add would just add too many problems. You would also void the warranty. And again, its about the GPU and CPU, having 6GB of RAM isn't going to do a whole lot, if anything.

thanks man, you've been quite a big help.

in the end, can we upgrade the consoles, knowing that it does void warranty?

Chaosx721
10-17-2010, 06:34 AM
fair enough, didnt think about it and when it came out. at this point tho, have they at least upgraded the slims? to take into account current standards and advancements? or is it essentially the same hardware in a fancy new shell?
Upgrading a console later down the road crates an unfair advantage to loyal customers who had the console before. Think about it, if you bought an 360 day one, 3 years later they come out with a better system for a lower price that will run games better, you'd be pissed. Also games, when you come out with an updated console you have to change on how game are being made and then game companies are re-learning the new console. Then you will have to get that new console in order to play the new games.

i prefer consoles since u dont always have to upgrade them to be able to play new games, just pop the disc in and your ready to go. now if we could have the option to upgrade like a computer, that would be nice.
That's what consoles are, not upgradeable, its why people like them. PC its almost like you have to upgrade for every game that comes out, consoles are the same till next gen and every game that comes out for it run with no problems. And upgrading a console isn't that easy, and even if there was an option, it will add a lot of problems then it would solve.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-17-2010, 06:41 AM
He just thinks his dashboard is slow.

well, i do, i think its a little laggy to respond or bring up the menues sometimes. i want it to respond quicker to what im want it to do, thats all.

Chaosx721
10-17-2010, 07:12 AM
well, i do, i think its a little laggy to respond or bring up the menues sometimes. i want it to respond quicker to what im want it to do, thats all.
I agree it is laggy. The new dash coming out soon is going to be a little faster, at least from what I've seen in the videos.