PDA

View Full Version : Despite its bugs and flaws - in terms of realism, this game is the real deal!

daenius
10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Yesterday night, I have experienced something that I have rarely ever experienced in a simulation game before - I was completely immersed. And by completely, I mean I literally didn't care for anything except winning this damned race.

I am in my 2nd season in career mode - I signed with Red Bull and won the first race in Bahrain, next up was Melbourne.

Since we are already using the settings in our online GPs, I set the racing distance to 75%, as well as selecting realistic flags to make it even more important concentrating on the race and minimizing mistakes; tyre wear and fuel sim were on from the get-go.

I qualified on pole position, but got pushed back to 6th place thanks to a ridiculous penalty.

When the race started, it was raining heavily, so obviously I put on my wet tyres.

After starting from 6th and getting to 3rd place within the first two corners, I had to fight for about 6-7 laps to catch up to Vettel and Hamilton and overtake them to grab 1st place - during that time period, I was pretty impressed by the AI's driving skills on professional difficulty.

And then, the magic started happening.

Around lap 15-16, the rain started to let up, around lap 19-20 my team suggested I switch to intermediates, since Hamilton and Vettel did the same.

I chose to stick with the wets and wait for a dry racing line to show up, so I could switch to the primes.

Lap for lap, the track got dryer and the clouds started to disappear.

Around lap 24-25, the dry racing line showed up and I pitted to switch to primes - at the same time, I was marvelling at this unbelievable weather system and how perfectly it was simulated.

After that, the sun came out and the track dried out very quickly. After seeing that Hamilton gained about .5 secs on me per lap, I figured out that I still had my wet setup loaded for the car, which obviously didn't really help racing in the dry.

Not long after, around lap 33-34 (I was lapping Barrichello, who was 13th), I unintentionally crashed into him from behind, since I didn't anticipate him breaking so early, lost my front wing and got a drive-through penalty for a caused crash.

Right after that, I immediately signaled my team I was going to pit - getting the car into the pits without front wing and a cold left front tyre was unbelievably hard, but I managed to get it there.

One lap after that, I did my drive-through penalty and came out about 1-2 seconds after Hamilton went past the pit-lane exit.

I managed to overtake him again, and until lap 44 (the last lap) I drove out a 5 second lead over him.

Then, the unthinkable happened - when I got to the chicane, I cut the first corner of it without slowing down afterwards and got penalized for it with a 10 second penalty, which in the end cost me the race, as I only came in 2nd after Hamilton.

Say what you want about the game's bugs and flaws, but I have never ever felt so immersed in a simulation game when I was playing with AI controlled opponents.

From battling Hamilton/Vettel for 1st, adjusting my driving to heavy rain conditions, making strategic decisions on-the-fly to hoping that I would get out of the pitlane before Hamilton and cursing my heart out for getting that stupid 10 second penalty, this race showed me why I love the Formula 1 so much and what an impeccable job Codies has done with this game in terms of realism and simulation.

For the duration of this race, I really felt like I was in Melbourne, fighting like a dog for every second I could drive faster than my opponents.

If anyone has felt just as immersed as myself while playing this game, please feel free to share.

lenny m
10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
it is really realistic. I guess the Codies decided that this needs to be like real life with pens and flags

Doctor Paj
10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I think they`ve nailed the driving aspect of this game so well this year, that CM can just concentrate on adding all the things (drivers moving between teams, test drivers in practice, safety car, parade lap, improving career mode, custom helmet designs) that would make F1 2011 the only game I need to buy next year!

I`ve not been this immersed in a game since Championship Manager on the Amiga in the early 90s!

oRiGiNaL ReaPeR x
10-17-2010, 01:22 PM
one of the things i dont like about this game is that you cant stay with a team for more than one season, well in my experience i havnt been able to even with winning the D.C and the W.D.C with every team i raced for...i wanted to go for the expert championship in a Mcclaren car but i had to change teams so i went back to Red Bull...apart from that i love the game as a whole, with the realism and an immense driving experience and actually overtaking some of the best drivers in the world on legend difficulty even tho i kno i could never do it in real life lol

pined5551
10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
one of the things i dont like about this game is that you cant stay with a team for more than one season, well in my experience i havnt been able to even with winning the D.C and the W.D.C with every team i raced for...i wanted to go for the expert championship in a Mcclaren car but i had to change teams so i went back to Red Bull...apart from that i love the game as a whole, with the realism and an immense driving experience and actually overtaking some of the best drivers in the world on legend difficulty even tho i kno i could never do it in real life lol

Yes you can, usually its your current team who offer you the first contract:confused:

Also Daenius, i completely agree. I have had many times in this game where you have to respect what Codemasters have managed to do. I remember saying to my mates before the games release. I don't want to be able to win every race, i want the championship to be a close battle the whole way, and all mine have been so far. I have had some great carrer races lately, even if they're only 20%, lol. I won Spa by 3 seconds in the wet as I chose to qualify on primes, meaning i could stay out longer and when the rain did come i could pit at a better time, and only pit once instead of switching tyres twice like everyone else. I am very happy with the outcome of the game, even WITH the bugs, lol. I actually got quite angry when my mate Josh described the game as 'just another racer' :mad: He was lucky he didn't get a black eye hahaha.

consemated
10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
re: richard petty racing experience (http://www.racingadventure.com/)

I attended the nascar school at Charlotte Motor Speedway a few years back with the Petty Experience, and it was much more different than you can imagine as far as the feeling of speed in a race car vs a normal car.

MC B0B x360a
11-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Hopefully next year they take the career mode to a whole nother level. the career is what really "immerses" me into a game. I can remember a nascar car game when you started out in modified, then went up through the truck and nationwide series. I would love to see an f1 career where you start out at a lower level and then you have to work your way up as a test driver. Maybe you could run a career at a lower level and try to reach test driver objectives at the same time (kind of like the R&D objectives. I would also like to see an option where you can build a fan base which brings in more money. You can than use the money to make upgrades to your team. I loved it in nascar when you could use the team winning and sponsership money to buy better chassis and motors. I would stick with the small team and try to make them compete with the big boys.

edit: how bout the ability to start your own team from scratch and build it up.

Mataeus
11-02-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm utterly immersed in this game. The only thing that has taken me out of it is when you are coming through to start a flying lap in Qualies, and someone comes out of the pits on an outlap and proceeds to drive as though they are on a flying lap, blocking you all over the place. The other things is... You get to sit in the garage, mess with your monitor and set ups, watch the amazing pit crews at work, participate in all events and then, as you press start race... You are magically transferred to the grid without a parade lap! That really breaks it for me. But apart from that, it's very immersive and the single most exciting racing game I have ever played.

MC B0B x360a
11-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I am starting to get into the game also. my time has been divided up into other games but lst night i told myself i would sit down for a couple hours and play f1. Even with its flaws the game is really good.

Last night i had one of the most fun scenarios that i would never be able to dream up. the track was silverstone and the weather started out rainy. I set fastest lap in the first part of qualifying by 2 seconds. I figured i was good so i went into the pit and fast forwarded. I slowly saw myself dropped to p8 as it seemed the track was drying up. so I decided to go back out again and give it a go. By the time i got on my flying lap it was absolutely pooring out, and i dropped to p20. I went into the pit and changed setups but could not improve my times because of the conditions. I checked the weather for the race and it was perfect conditions so i knew i had a chance to win. i also knew i had a fast car but because of the weather i ended up p20. In the first few laps i started out setting fast lap after fast lap and picking people off pretty quickly. Hamilton was in first and was up by 5 seconds when he pitted. I decided to skip my pit for a few laps to take advantage of the open track. with two laps to go i pit and when pulling out of the pit hamilton passes me but i am pretty close to him. that lap i spent getting right on his bumper. Then on the last lap him and i are literally rubbing wheels every single turn. With just a few turns left he actually gets a little loose and goes wide (i didnt bump him) and i pass him on the inside. I keep the lead and get the victory. When the checkered flag waived i realized that i was holding my breath the entire last lap.

I have never owned a race game where it seemed so realistic and the driving was this intense. I think next race i get to pick my rival and i am very excited for this.

xLMx1994
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
i have now got to my 5th season and the career mode is REALLY repetitive. the same thing happens same race every season. this game is awesome fun, but it lacks a lot of features, and the features that they have tryed to put in, the interviews, rival challenges, really seem pointless. the interviews are a complete waste of time, seing as there is only about 20 questions, and the rival challenge, once you select your rival, you dont hear about the challenge untill the last race of the season. this game is great and i play it loads, but when you look at how much there is to do on the game, there isnt much.

MC B0B x360a
11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
i have now got to my 5th season and the career mode is REALLY repetitive. the same thing happens same race every season. this game is awesome fun, but it lacks a lot of features, and the features that they have tryed to put in, the interviews, rival challenges, really seem pointless. the interviews are a complete waste of time, seing as there is only about 20 questions, and the rival challenge, once you select your rival, you dont hear about the challenge untill the last race of the season. this game is great and i play it loads, but when you look at how much there is to do on the game, there isnt much.

they got the most important and hardest thing right in the game, and that is the feel of the car. they will need to add a bunch of stuff in next year to make it really great. I mentioned a bunch of stuff in a previous post that could make it more exciting.

Barad
11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Its a brillaint game no doubt, Codemasters really nailed it here just like with GRID.

Hurball
12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I saw someone on another forum post that they should let EA do it again after this, because Codies had messed up online or something. What an idiot, this is the greatest F1 sim ever made, it's phenomenal. I love the raceday aura that it's got, the driving is brilliant, etc. Codemasters deserve much credit for this.

x13radx
12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I saw someone on another forum post that they should let EA do it again after this, because Codies had messed up online or something. What an idiot, this is the greatest F1 sim ever made, it's phenomenal. I love the raceday aura that it's got, the driving is brilliant, etc. Codemasters deserve much credit for this.

Agreed, every-time it does that grid view and cycles through a few cars at the begining it really gives a sense of immersion.

Ruble
12-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Only issues I've had with this game are a few graphical flaws (like the screen going slightly fuzzy at certain points on certain tracks, consistently so through a session, then doing it at different points the next time I load the track up). This has to be the best F1 game I've played.

GORQITO
12-02-2010, 06:25 AM
It really is a brilliant game in terms of visuals and gameplay, the only thing I wish they worked on more was fixing the bugs and glitches (which they eventually got around to). And there's no doubt that they can go nowhere but up for the next game.

Thracian
12-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Realistic yes, most of the time, at times I find I spin when I don't know why I have or I feel I shouldn't have. Oh and is it realistic to be pole by 2 seconds in an hispania? I think not. I play on Hard as Expert is a bit too tough for me but Hard for the most part is a bit too easy. I wish there was something inbetween.

LFC2K6
12-27-2010, 03:17 AM
That feeling of driving under pressure at such high speeds, knowing it could all go wrong any second is perfect in this game. I've never known anything like it.

It was most typified by the X360a Grand prix in Monaco. Everyone was terrified at the start of the race and most of the way through it too, the tension of it was almost unbearable however at the end of the race everyone agreed it was probably the most fun they'd had on a racing game. Even though I only lasted close to 20 laps of it, I have to agree on that one too. I've never played a racer like it.