PDA

View Full Version : Horrible loading times

OceanH
10-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Three times the game locked up on me completely, forcing me to restart the 360. Entering the outside world is more often than not accompanied by 20 seconds or so of the framerate slowing to an absolute slide show. Load times regularly hover between 25 and 50 seconds, in spite of a full hard drive installation.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/fallout-new-vegas-review/

Seriously? I finished Fallout 3 on PC and the loadings were a split second to a second and they were no longer than a couple of seconds when I played it on PS3 GOTY.

LK Tien
10-19-2010, 05:30 AM
One review = one person having problems. Remember that.

I'll only care when I see a flood on the forums.

Vigor
10-19-2010, 05:30 AM
I've been watching a live stream tonight and the guy was popping in and out rooms without too much stress, sure there are loading times but nothing like that reviewer mentioned, maybe his console is dying.

Anyway, Fallout 5 by Bethesda, please..

ll Mr Bubbles ll
10-19-2010, 05:45 AM
mine crashed once other than that its fine APART from the actual loading screens,. even after installing to hdd they are alot longer than fallout 3.

Skillz4Killz
10-19-2010, 05:48 AM
It's only one review and his Xbox 360 is probably dieing lol

atannes
10-19-2010, 06:20 AM
He's right, load times are a disaster. My current play time is 31.29.05 and that doesn't include load times and reloads from old saves after death.

OceanH
10-19-2010, 06:49 AM
mine crashed once other than that its fine APART from the actual loading screens,. even after installing to hdd they are alot longer than fallout 3.

He's right, load times are a disaster. My current play time is 31.29.05 and that doesn't include load times and reloads from old saves after death.

Damn you Obsidian :mad:

OceanH
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
One review = one person having problems. Remember that.

I'll only care when I see a flood on the forums.

It's only one review and his Xbox 360 is probably dieing lol

From Giant Bomb (that's another review):

The game--a retail disc running on a new-model Xbox 360--crashed on me about a dozen times over the 33 hours I spent playing, often taking a significant amount of progress with it. The load times and frame rate seemed to get randomly worse as I continued to play the game, with some simple scene transitions taking 20 seconds or more. The technical hurdles you'll have to make to stay interested in New Vegas are meaner and more frustrating than any Deathclaw or Nightkin you'll face in the game. If you're the type of person who likes to watch for a patch or two before settling into a game, know this now: you probably don't want to play Fallout: New Vegas right away.

http://www.giantbomb.com/fallout-new-vegas/61-25933/reviews/

luffy
10-19-2010, 07:41 AM
People= the PC is a lot tougher than the Xbox, the only problem with companies is that they don't give the full support to the PC, they're Gambling in which console their game will be better in. lame>_<.. so no comparing.

Vigor
10-19-2010, 08:13 AM
People= the PC is a lot tougher than the Xbox, the only problem with companies is that they don't give the full support to the PC, they're Gambling in which console their game will be better in. lame>_<.. so no comparing.

Gamble? X360 over PS3, coding is way easier but Obsidian fucked it up.

by the way, the loading and crashing seems so frequent on all copies, how the fuck could they release a game like that unnoticed?!

atannes
10-19-2010, 08:26 AM
If we are lucky there will be a launch day patch or something soon.

Dead Soulja
10-19-2010, 08:49 AM
My game is not installed because I sent my HD back to Microsoft to be fixed and the loading times are not that bad so far and the game has not crashed on me yet.

I'm playing it on a Slim system.

shizomac
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Try installing it? I installed mine and the load screens only last about 5 seconds. The game froze my Xbox once earlier, but other than that, its been fine.

DethReaper420
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Three times the game locked up on me completely, forcing me to restart the 360. Entering the outside world is more often than not accompanied by 20 seconds or so of the framerate slowing to an absolute slide show. Load times regularly hover between 25 and 50 seconds, in spite of a full hard drive installation.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/fallout-new-vegas-review/

Seriously? I finished Fallout 3 on PC and the loadings were a split second to a second and they were no longer than a couple of seconds when I played it on PS3 GOTY.

Umm dude i dont kno what your problem is but I didnt experience ANY shitty loading times last night when i was playing

ThingontheFloor
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I've played the game through completion and really started noticing the load times about halfway through. It feels like eventually you start unlocking so much of the map, that every time you need to reload to a new area, it has to reload everything and take foreeeeeeeever. Load times are definitely a bummer near the end, and I've experienced at least 5-6 hard locks that required a restart of my 360.

Installed on an a new 360 model console, too. Still shouldn't detract from what is otherwise a great game, but the technical problems definitely bog it down some. I expect it to be a common complaint.

A ZombieTwinkie
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones. Granted, I only have like 6 hours on it so far, but I have yet to experience any freezing or crashing, and the loading times aren't terrible. (i mean, c'mon though. it's a freaking large, open world game. Loading times aren't going to be lightning quick) And I don't even have it installed onto my hard drive yet.

I think the only real problem that I have had, is that I haven't had enough time to play it yet, haha.

Deathr0t
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Try installing it? I installed mine and the load screens only last about 5 seconds. The game froze my Xbox once earlier, but other than that, its been fine.

I am going to install it the second I can leave work and pick it up, anyone know how big the install is?

Ink129
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
About the freezing issues:

There are even complete game freezes, usually after prolonged play sessions, though Bethesda assures us that this is a known issue and a day-one patch will fix it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-19-fallout-new-vegas-review?page=3

So hopefully this will be fixed in a few days. Only I'm guessing it will be Obsidian who'll be doing the fixing and not Bethesda. The loading times will probably stay the same I'm afraid. I've read a couple of reviews now and most of them mentions long loading times, which only gets longer the farther into the game you get...

But who cares - it's a new Fallout game :woop:

guillermo316
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
OH my gd! the one thing we fall out fans ask the developer hey how about you come out with a game that doesnt freeze or lock up, wait whats this you say only a few people will get this problem, well Fu#$ you, make a game that will run for everyone and that is a finished and polished product! come on this is pissing me off! if i play and it freezes !

luffy
10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Gamble? X360 over PS3, coding is way easier but Obsidian fucked it up.

by the way, the loading and crashing seems so frequent on all copies, how the fuck could they release a game like that unnoticed?!

don't rush your talk if you didn't understand what i was talking about.
first this is an Xbox website, who the hell mentioned anything about the ps3?
i was talking about how people compare the Xbox with the PC software that seems to be dreadful, PC doesn't have any limits, games were designed by the PC, so if your PC has a high Specifications, then there is no way in hell the game would crush..
and besides these certain problems that some of the users encounter have reasons, maybe because they didn't installed the game, or whatever else.
because some of them didn't even encounter them.

b1zarr0
10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Ive only logged 7.5 hours thus far....also I installed it to the hard drive and...

the load times are at least way better than dead rising 2. and entering/exiting buildings only seems to take but 3-5 seconds.

In my time thus far Ive had the game freeze on me twice....thankfully both were but a minute or 2 after I manually saved (and Im manually saving often for Ive read much about this game's technical glitches.

jwmc1971
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
i play about 10 hours a day and it freezes 4 or 5 times . sometimes its door im going through or it just feels like it . i have a cooler on my xbox and its 73 in here .

Till
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Before I installed new vegas to my HDD it was seriously freezing once an hour and it seemed like the loading screens were at least a minute or a minute and a half. After installing it to the HDD it only freezes once a day and the loading times are better.

rowain
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
It shouldn't be a huge surprise, Obsidian ALWAYS releases buggy games, typically sequels to less buggy games.

Knights of the Old Republic 2, WAAAAAAAAY buggier than the original KOTOR which Bioware made.

Neverwinter Nights 2 literally took over 15 patches to fix basic bugs that were in at retail. When you're 15 full size patches in and your bug fix list is STILL like 40 items long for a singleplayer RPG, you've made a buggy product. NWN1, which Bioware made in house, had bugs but certainly not as bad as NWN2.

Obsidian's original game, Alpha Protocol? Yeah, if you've ever played that, you know exactly how insanely buggy it was.

So I'm not surprised that New Vegas turned out as buggy as it did. I've never played an Obsidian developed game that wasn't. That said, I haven't experienced the massive issues many people have, so my experience has been fairly smooth so far.

PnutButrSkippy
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
mine only locked up once, but unfortunately it was saving and corrupted the auto save. hadnt saved it in about 5 hours either. was kinda mad starting at level 2 again. at least i made up some of the time last night tho.

loading times are terrific now that i installed it to the hd.

Ferocious
10-20-2010, 03:57 PM
To be honest the load times have been fine and I didn't install the game. There was a bit of time where they were longer than usual and then it eventually froze when it should have been auto-saving and so I rebooted, deleted that corrupt auto-save and it's been smooth/fast again since. Try rebooting, deleting your auto-save, and getting a new auto-save without doing much while it's saving. Maybe it gets glitched if you try to bring up menus, pipboy, etc.. and causes in-game lag. At least that's what seemed to happen for me and that's how I fixed it. You may have a completely different issue, however it doesn't hurt to try so I figured I'd share that.

HorukuDark
10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I installed in on my HDD right away. Loading times have been no worse than Fallout 3, averaging pretty consistantly at about 5-10 seconds. In about 10 hours of gameplay, one freeze upon exiting a building in the southern NCR Outpost. This didn't corrupt the auto-save file. Wiped my chache, things are going great.

Suggestion though for those prone to bugs though; save every 3-4 minutes, and have two files. Save on the "second" one each time so you'll have a backup file. The "second" one will always be the lower numbered save, so it's easy to remember which is which.

Nitnoid
10-20-2010, 04:48 PM
One thing I discovered on Oblivion, the more of the outside world you disturb, ie leave stuff laying around where it wasn't originally, the longer the load times when transitioning. Also depends on how much of the map you've uncovered as well, I'm sure.

Rowain, I don't think its an obsidian problem. I played Alpha Protocol 7 times fully through and experienced 2 glitches which weren't major at all.

BTW, no long load times here and I run off the disc...

Joel2211
10-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I installed the game on my 360 and not once have I had a problem yet, Also the loading times do not seem bad at all. The only problem with this game from my play through are the random glitches like people running into walls and getting stuck in tables.

Elit3Ski11s
10-20-2010, 05:05 PM
my loading times are almost nil, and im playing off the DVD.

Make sure you have some space on your HDD. Also, i read somewhere that your Xbox Generation makes a difference too. 1st gen has loading issues.

tommy2648
10-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Holy cow! When the heck did this come out? I have probably just asked a stupid question but over here it comes out this friday! :o

eightyse7en
10-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Ive only logged 7.5 hours thus far....also I installed it to the hard drive and...

the load times are at least way better than dead rising 2. and entering/exiting buildings only seems to take but 3-5 seconds.

In my time thus far Ive had the game freeze on me twice....thankfully both were but a minute or 2 after I manually saved (and Im manually saving often for Ive read much about this game's technical glitches.

what do you mean three-five seconds?! three-five whole seconds? i don't have the game yet, but if i have to wait that long for a loading screen i just don't know what i'm going to do; i might cancel my pre-order because i'm simply fuming.

i'm sure there's many forummers here who'll agree that three-five seconds is time you just cannot waste. in that time i could take a sip of my drink, scratch my balls; ffs, i could even whinge about how long it takes for the game to load.

i'm cancelling my pre-order as i type.

edit to add: i've got 1000g for dead rising 2 and i didn't cry about any loading times. give your fucking heads a wobble.

Zenth Forbias
10-20-2010, 08:21 PM
HA! I like you eightse7en. Nice use of sarcasm. Seriously, quit complaining about load times. Apparently, you guys weren't around for the PS1 or the Dreamcast or hell, Sega CD. Do we forget about those massive load times already? Disappointment.

StillTIPPIN187
10-20-2010, 09:02 PM
First off. Im running a elite 2009 jasper. I have the game installed to my hdd.

It worked fine for about idk, 2 hours.. give or take.

BUT, the i started experiencing very LONG load times.. atleast 50-60 seconds. It would randomly freeze 4 times between walking.. like this. id be walking then it would freeze for 1 sec, then i could walk again for 1 sec, the freeze again, ect.

and the most annoying thing! during combat, alot of times i couldn't shoot! i would spam that trigger trying to make it work but even that wouldn't work.. i couldn't aim down the sights either.. i just had to sit there and take it like a man and die or pause and reload.

BUT, im not sure what the problem is.. it may be that the game is not optimized for an installation to hdd.. BUT, when you start getting those glitches, just go to the dash and play it again.. itll work alot better.

Ill try playing straight from the disc later on

Nitnoid
10-20-2010, 09:39 PM
One thing you might consider, and this is just a theory of mine, on a PC, if you install/delete, download/erase a lot of things, the hd tends to get fragmented. Being that the xbox is basically a PC with a hd, it may need to be defragged occasionally, but I personally do not know how to do this, or IF it can be done.

Just a thought, but one you might consider if you do a lot of file adding/erasing...

J4ckyb0y1
10-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Its called a Memory Leak and its from sloppy coding. The game grabs memory to load content, but when you move to another area it doesn't dump all the old information to load the new. Each time it keeps eating away at the available memory and eventually the load times take longer and hurt performance. It will freeze if left unchecked.

A fresh reboot when you notice this happening will help this.

EMP
10-20-2010, 11:15 PM
My game is fine and have no problem with load screens...

Xavier0080
10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
It worked fine for about idk, 2 hours.. give or take.

BUT, the i started experiencing very LONG load times.. atleast 50-60 seconds. It would randomly freeze 4 times between walking.. like this. id be walking then it would freeze for 1 sec, then i could walk again for 1 sec, the freeze again, ect.

and the most annoying thing! during combat, alot of times i couldn't shoot! i would spam that trigger trying to make it work but even that wouldn't work.. i couldn't aim down the sights either.. i just had to sit there and take it like a man and die or pause and reload.

BUT, im not sure what the problem is.. it may be that the game is not optimized for an installation to hdd.. BUT, when you start getting those glitches, just go to the dash and play it again.. itll work alot better.

Ill try playing straight from the disc later on

This. I've been playing for 14 hours give or take, and the loads were fine. Now however, its like 30-60 seconds per load. It's rediculous. I'm running it off the HDD of a Slim too. It seems to get worse the longer you play.

Edit: If you clear your 360's cache it resets the load times. It worked for my fiend as well. Shame you have to do this, but it works.

musicman4523
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I've had issues with long load times as well, and cussed at the loading screen quite a few times. My 360 is from Feb 2009, so not the newest model, but the game is installed on my hard drive and I'm still getting some ridiculous load times once in a while. Sometimes it's 5-10 seconds, sometimes it seems like an entire minute you're waiting. Not quite as bad as Dead Rising 2, but it should not be taking this long to load from the HD. I've also had a lot of issues with lagging out when shooting or opening the PIPBOY, which is ticking me off. And the Xbox has froze up quite a few times too. Not too much in the beginning, but it seems like the longer I play the game the more problems I have. I'm at 18+ hours now and I don't know if the longer you play the more data is in the save file, therefore causing more problems? Whatever the case it's very frustrating. It actually froze one time, I booted the Xbox again and loaded the game again, and not 30 seconds later it froze again. Made me wonder if there was a problem with Black Mountain area, but it didn't crash again there before I finished my quest and left.

Stewie Griffin2
10-21-2010, 12:00 AM
I've played the game through completion and really started noticing the load times about halfway through. It feels like eventually you start unlocking so much of the map, that every time you need to reload to a new area, it has to reload everything and take foreeeeeeeever.

This. It seems like I'm getting progressively longer load times the longer I play. I mentioned it to a few of my buddies who were in the party chat with me, they said they hadn't seen it. About a half hour later when one of them got the the same part of the game as me (when they first entered the strip) he started noticing the same thing.

For the record, I'm playing on an Elite with the game installed and about 50% free space on my HDD.

Xavier0080
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM
This. It seems like I'm getting progressively longer load times the longer I play. I mentioned it to a few of my buddies who were in the party chat with me, they said they hadn't seen it. About a half hour later when one of them got the the same part of the game as me (when they first entered the strip) he started noticing the same thing.

For the record, I'm playing on an Elite with the game installed and about 50% free space on my HDD.

I updated my post earlier. It looks like it is leaking memory. You can fix this apparently by clearing your system cache from the memory section of your xbox. (Find HDD, hit Y, clear system cache, then perform maintenance.) Worked for myself and my friend.