PDA

View Full Version : How annoying is Hardcore?

Grakmar
10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I typically spend a lot of time wondering around and trying to find hidden areas or easter eggs. I also like to fully explore every old ruin I come across, even if there is no quest or hidden item or anything inside. As such, I tend to find myself taking forever to complete a game like Fallout.

So, before I begin my game, what are people's thoughts on Hardcore difficulty? Does it require an efficient playstyle so you don't have to lug around tons of food/water, or is it pretty manageable? It sounds like a fun addition, but I don't want to be annoyed by it.

Dental_FlossTycoon
10-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Second this question please.

Till
10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I thought it was pretty easy, you just need a decent amount of caps to afford all the stimpaks, food, purified water, and doctor visits. Take things that you can constantly find on enemies like combat armor or hunting rifles and maintain them to 100% and sell them at the Gun Runners place for a good amount of caps. Another decent way to make money is to kill everyone in the silver rush place and take all those high level energy weapons and sell them for a ton of money. Probably 20k caps to be made in that place.

Ethereal235
10-19-2010, 07:23 PM
It's not so bad. It's just something that gets a tiny bit annoying at times. The ammo weight issue isn't really big either; bullets weigh very, very little. The only thing that might be a problem is that if you're getting your shit rocked in battle, you can't really heal on-the-fly, although your health will still restore slowly if you use a stimpack or food in battle and it'll give you a bit of longevity. Also, if your arms get crippled in combat, suddenly your aim is goddamned terrible and you can't do anything about it until you win the fight.

It adds an interesting element to the game; the sense of austerity doesn't really go away, which I personally enjoy in a game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

X Punisher 47 X
10-19-2010, 08:42 PM
reading about this sounded annoying but fun at the same time. in fallout 3 i walked in every room guns blazing but sounds like you cant really do that in that mode.

darthroker29
10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Has anyone noticed that you take a sip form the vault 13 canteen every now and then? Does this help towards hardcore mode to stay hydrated?

mjsleftglove
10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Has anyone noticed that you take a sip form the vault 13 canteen every now and then? Does this help towards hardcore mode to stay hydrated?

yes it does

darthroker29
10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
yes it does
Does it ever have to be refill?

SuperWoody64
10-19-2010, 11:47 PM
This mode is fine and dandy I suppose, until you get attacked by a giant radscorpion in goodsprings right at the beginning and can't heal schmidt. Ug.

APassingShadow
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
As long as you have food items and H20 items its no problem. Just make your strength a little higher so you can carry more weight.

AutomaticUzoy
10-20-2010, 12:57 AM
this is good to know that you can play hardcore on easy. i'll do this on my second play through. but just like the last game, i assume for the most part i can skip all of the side missions and do the main missions and still get the achievement. anyone know?

Breachie
10-20-2010, 01:02 AM
thanks, HARDCORE all the way :)