PDA

View Full Version : Saving Harcore Mode for a Second Playthrough is a WASTE OF TIME!

UnstableChemist
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
if that's the only reason you're gonna play it a second time.

For those of you that have decided you're saving Hardcore Mode for a second play through and haven't started the game yet, or are not that far into the game, you should seriously reconsider. I have read a lot of posts on here along the lines of "I'm gonna save it for a second play through when I'm more familiar with the game," or "Hardcore Mode sounds like it may be trouble."

First of all, you only need to beat the main story quests with Hardcore Mode enabled. Once the main story is complete, you can turn it off.

Second, Hardcore Mode DOES NOT change the difficulty in the game WHATSOEVER. You can enable Hardcore Mode and still play on Very Easy.

The only things that Hardcore Mode does, is instead of managing only one condition like Radiation in Fallout 3, you have to also manage dehydration, hunger, and fatigue. You can only heal crippled limbs only by a Doctor, or by using a Doctor's Bag from your inventory. Ammo has weight; such as 5.56 mm weighing 0.03, so 100 rounds of 5.56 mm adds 3 to your total weight. The highest ammo weight I've seen is 0.08 so far. Healing of health happens over time, but it's doesn't take very long at all - kind of a non-issue.

Each of these as indicated by RAD (Radiation), H20 (Dehydration), FOD(Hunger), SLP(Fatigue) all have the same meter that goes up to 1000 just like RAD does in Fallout 3.

The H20 meter increases the fastest, then FOD, followed by SLP, and RAD (usually by consuming irradiated food or water since there's not much radiation to be found by exploring.)

Managing these 3 extra conditions is not difficult at all. There are fresh sources of non-radiated water in the beginning of the game and it's not hard to collect Purified Water. Almost all sources of food increase HP and lower FOD (hunger), and many of them also lower H20 (dehydration). SLP(fatigue) is easily lowered by 60 - 70 points by sleeping for an hour.

During my play, it seems as though I can go at least 2 days in-game without sleep being an issue and about a day before dehydration sets in, and even at that the meter only hits around 200. If it gets dangerously high, it's easy to fast travel back to a source of fresh water close to the start of the game to quickly quench your thirst.

You will get crippled limbs. One of the two bonus perks I took at the start of the game was Small Frame. It increases Agility by one point at the cost of limbs crippling easier. It's not putting much if any extra strain on my game-play to have to heal my limbs only from a Doctor's Bag, or paying a Doctor to heal them, even with a heightened susceptibility to them being injured.

The ammo weight is practically a non-issue. I just carry no more than 100 - 200 rounds for whatever weapon(s) I'm using. Since I started out going for the Old-Tyme Brawler achievement (Cause 10000 Damage with Unarmed Weapons) from the start, I'm not carrying more than 2 weapons at a time, excluding ones I've found to use for repair or future use.

So, for all of you that are scared of Hardcore Mode, get over it, and choose it from the start, you won't regret not having to play it again for only the Hardcore achievement!

For as much hype as it got to being a game-changing dynamic, Hardcore mode is a ho-hummer.

One Additional Note: As of now, completing the main story line will end the game. So, make sure you have one or more saves before the end so you can reload and complete the rest of the game achievements.

Till
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I totally agree with you man I really had no trouble with it.

jwmc1971
10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
plus , making the difficulty set to hard DOES NOT increase XP ( if you dont believe me , it says so during the loading screens ) . this kinda sucks but if you do exploring and side missions , ranking is pretty steady .

Ferocious
10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Hardcore is actually fun. Think of it as more of a "realism" mode that some other games have (Tom Clancy games in specific). Only, this is how Fallout does "realism". Is it more challenging? Yes, because you can't spam stimpacks in a battle and have instant health. You need to play with a bit more strategy (at least at lower levels). Is it something that should be avoided on a first play-through because you feel you won't get as good of an experience? No way. If anything, it adds to the experience.. at least from my point of view. It's not suitable for total noobs, but for Fallout vets whether 1, 2, and/or 3 it shouldn't be an issue as you know how the core mechanics of the game work and are now introduced with some new features, etc.

I'm glad they added Hardcore mode. It's definitely a lot of fun.

Stormy2k
10-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I take it, its like Fallout 3 where there was food in every draw and water/alcohol on others.

I always had plenty of food 'n booze, is it the same case in NV?

bolotina
10-20-2010, 01:05 PM
True.
It only adds fun by adding meaning to all that iguana-on-a-stick that would be useless otherwise

ruslan74
10-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you Sir for a very valuable piece of information in regards to Hardcore mode! Will definitely start on Hardcore when I get my copy of the game on Friday. :)

jwmc1971
10-20-2010, 01:32 PM
yeah it gives you a reason to pick up food and drink ,i like that since they were worthless to an extent on F3 .

skiscaraudio
10-20-2010, 01:37 PM
agreed do hardcore, don't forget you can put 150hours in this game and adding another 5-6 hours to travel to get healed or water ain't gonna matter....here goes my social life, er what social life?

Faeline
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Its not so much of that Iam afraid of playing it on hardcore mode that it might be too hard. Personally i feel having to be aware of all those things like hunger and hydration will distract me from the game, IMO. I am having fun just going through it now checking out all the locations and perks. So i don't think that saving hardcore for a 2nd playthrough is a waste of time, at least not my time. I will eventually start a game on hardcore but till then iam just going to enjoy the game.

M49907
10-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I wish I had read this earlier. I don't really feel like doing all of this over again. I think most people, myself included, originally thought that hardcore mode was a difficulty above very hard. Its no big deal though because I will obviously do a second play though with a different karma anyways.

padraiglovesyou
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Was going to do a second playthrough for this reason but I shall now do it in one, thanks for this! :)

UnstableChemist
10-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Personally i feel having to be aware of all those things like hunger and hydration will distract me from the game, IMO...So i don't think that saving hardcore for a 2nd playthrough is a waste of time, at least not my time.

I prefaced my post by basically saying that if you have already invested a good amount of time then don't bother. But, if you haven't started it yet, or have less than 5-10 hours into it, you will want to start a game on hardcore mode instead of playing a second time just for it. I double-dog guarantee that you or anyone else for that matter will be kicking their own ass for waiting when you find out JUST HOW MUCH OF A BIG DEAL IT ISN'T! It is no more distracting than hauling all your collected crap back to wherever you keep it every five minutes, repairing weapons or armor, or reducing radiation poisoning on Fallout 3.

The main story line can be beat in only a few hours (5 - 10) just like Fallout 3.

TheBarry
10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Hardcore mode adds depth to the game, i find myself actually eating the food now, whereas in fallout 3 i would sell it.

Question for people who got their copy at gamestop; the vault 13 canteen keeps u from getting dehydrated, right?

Till
10-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Hardcore mode adds depth to the game, i find myself actually eating the food now, whereas in fallout 3 i would sell it.

Question for people who got their copy at gamestop; the vault 13 canteen keeps u from getting dehydrated, right?

That's right, it automatically takes a sip when you're close to minor dehydration.

yippy smalz
10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I wanna know about the canteen too cuz my guy auto drinks it.

The only reason im doing hardcore as a second playthrough is so in my first one i can do a lot more side quests without worrying about that stuff, even though its nothing to worry about. On 2nd playthrough i will just rush the story line.

Abused Crayon
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
good reasoning man, you've changed my mind!
cheers dude

Haseo22
10-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Im not someone that like to rush my first playthrough but, i'm not really someone who want to do 2 playthrough in this kind of time consuming game. I'm the kind of person who search every corner of a game. Since i know one playthrough will take me probably between 150 hours and 200 hours lol O.o, do you think hardcore will be a pain in the ass if i dont rush the main story and explore everything the game has to offer before finishing it?

EDIT : How come the gamerscore on my gamercard on the left show 111308 when i actualy have 123342?

XperimntNterror
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
been playing hardcore mode since the start and, so far, it really isn't bad at all. i've had to drink water 4 or 5 times, but i have yet to need to eat or sleep. its kinda strange. anyway, it doesn't even seem to be making all that much of a difference at this point, so i completely agree with this.

Zenth Forbias
10-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Luckily for those of us that aren't just achievement whores when it comes to games like this and the fact that there are several different factions, etc to join, it has replayability, so, I'm sure I'll get to a Hardcore mode on one of those.

bigbear.
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm playing on Hardcore my first time through and like the OP said it really isn't an issue. The only things that have any issue at all (and not much of an issue) is healing items healing over time instead of instantly (can be a bitch if your in a fight with like 6 people) and the extra weight I end up carrying by holding onto a lot of food items (as said before ammo weight isn't much of an issue).

ryanboals
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
I wish i read this earlier im like 12 or 13 hours in oh well i guess ill get everything else done that i possibly can than spend a day running through campaign on hardcore.

UnstableChemist
10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
do you think hardcore will be a pain in the ass if i dont rush the main story and explore everything the game has to offer before finishing it?...

Not really. I tend to play the same way and so far it hasn't been a big deal. If you're the type of person that likes to keep everything nicely organized, then you might actually like the extra effort involved in making sure all your stats stay healthy.

UnstableChemist
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Luckily for those of us that aren't just achievement whores when it comes to games like this and the fact that there are several different factions, etc to join, it has replayability, so, I'm sure I'll get to a Hardcore mode on one of those.

You didn't fully read my original post and some of the others. I ended up putting over 550 hours into Fallout 3 so I hardly think I played it only for the achievements. I certainly don't intend on doing that again. (A tightly guarded secret from women.) Already some of us will likely put hundreds of hours into this game. The whole point is that it's unnecessary to play a second time solely for the Hardcore achievement.

Haseo22
10-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Ok thanks for the info, as soon as i 1000G Castlevania, i'm starting my fallout nv adventure! :)

gamoamo
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to run through just the Main Quest on Very Easy with Hardcore mode? I was thinking about going through those first then starting back up and going through everything else.

Jarimy123
10-20-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm doing 2 play throughs anyway, so I'm saving hardcore for my 2nd play through.

First one is good karma, 2nd will be evil karma. I love Fallout so much, and want to do a play through seeing both sides of things. So might as well do the first one not on Hardcore, just so I get a feel for things.

I don't see either way as being wrong really. Do hardcore, don't do hardcore. Wait til 2nd, don't. This is a GREAT game. Thanks for the tips, but just me personally I'm waiting for it til 2nd.

mmartynn
10-20-2010, 05:30 PM
im still going to play the game 5-6 times, each time on hardcore.

whilst waiting for FONV, im currently on my 7th playthro of FO3 =P

Zenth Forbias
10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
im currently on my 7th playthro of FO3 =P

Oh... I don't even remember what play through I'm on in FO3. It's at least at 11, but half the time it was me accidentally deleting full game data and me getting pissed of and rag eplaying it to finish it again.

P4VL0V
10-26-2010, 07:14 AM
What's the best spot to decrease the level of dehydration in the start of the game?

Durdens Wrath
10-26-2010, 07:54 AM
My only beef would be the ammo has weight. Of course, you don't have a problem with it, because you're melee. What about someone who shoots a lot? I remember that energy cells weighed a metric shit ton in Fallout 2.

illegalSAUCE
10-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know how long it takes to run through just the Main Quest on Very Easy with Hardcore mode? I was thinking about going through those first then starting back up and going through everything else.

Check out this thread by BlaZIN cdn
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=269241

He does it in 5 hours

I am currently going through my first playthrough now and am getting the Hardcore cheevo out of the way. When I play games like this, esp with FO3, I could spend a hour+ just going through every locker, metal box, tool box, dresser, etc and then hoarding it back to my place, dropping it off, and then doing it again until I've thoroughly searched the place. So, for me, once I get the hardcore out of the way, I will be able to really "play" the game without having to scroll into my inventory every so often and drink some water or eat a squirrel or sleep, lol:D And I can carry all the types of ammo I want and as much of it as I want!

Like some of the other posters have stated, the only real difference Hardcore makes is that you actually use items that you may have never used before in FO3, like the iguana-on-a-stick, etc.

surreal_82
10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
not having any issues on HC mode for first play through and glad i jumped in the deep end, i found as well with having the classic pack, the vault 13 canteen kinda cheats and keeps your H2O constantly low, unless sleeping/waiting/fast travel, so i sold it early on in the game for the full experience.

The heaviest ammo i have seen is rockets that weigh 3.00, but i get frustrated constantly with Cass the spaz killing herself all the time lol! Rex is a good boy for me though lol

shizomac
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah, Hardcore really is not that difficult, just takes some getting used to. I started my first playthrough on Hardcore and had little to no problems.

If you have the Vault 13 canteen, then your H20 is pretty much taken care of. If not, just find Purified Waters, which normally can be bought off of merchants/doctors.

As for food, I found that the merchants at the 188 Trading Post sell some of the best food that has around FOD -100, -150, which helps a ton.

And sleep is never a problem, I think I had sleep deprivation once during my entire playthrough, so just sleep every once in a while.

The beginning of the game can be tough, but once you get some good weapons, and you play it smart, its a breeze. The only problem I had were companions... they just seemed useless on Hardcore since they always run out and get themselves killed.. however, my best duo would be Raul , Boone, or Lily and Rex. Cass just isnt helpful, Veronica gets killed too easily, ED-E sucks as an attacker, and Arcade is kind of blah.

Dragon83uk
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
I think you've missed the point. I'm assuming most people (like me) are saving hardcore for a second play through so we can enjoy the game first time round without having to concentrate on all the little micro management stuff. Also I wanna know about the different factions and choose my allies carefully, that way on my 2nd play through I can do exactly the opposite and see how the 2 compare. If it's anything like fallout 3 it should be worth it.

Fug the Pug
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM
I personally think that if I do multiple play throughs Ill still do hardcore mode. Its not too hard and it really keeps you on your toes about things. It's like what they wanted to do with deadly premonition but failed so epically at.

oO Renf Oo
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Oh man...I'm Lvl 21 and now i see this thread...BOO me for not checking in sooner... =(