PDA

View Full Version : Movie/Game/Music References

Jay_13thstep
10-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Just thought Id open up a thread to see what references people got from the game. I get the impression theres loads so it would be kinda cool to compile them I guess. I'll start with what I got.

Nanoc being Conan backwards of course and the obvious resemblance to Arnie.
Total Recall parody when you fight the drill thing
Timecop style 'comic jumpoer' car thing
And thats it for me - not very observant Im afraid!

shepdelonge182
10-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Winklemeyer saying "what are you buying?" while at the store bit is a reference to the guy in Resident Evil 4 that sells you stuff :eek:

boomdizzle 2
10-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I guess its not really a game reference but at the begining of nanoc comics when you kill the guy star says remind me not to get on your bad side, mr. cheney, a refrence to former US vice president, dick cheney who accidently killed one of his friends while hunting.

SonOfSpengler
10-24-2010, 02:04 AM
There's also a reference to Ghostbusters when Star asks Smiley what he chose before the Dr Meatenstein boss battle.
It's a reference to Ray Stanz summoning Mr Stay Puft towards the end of the movie.

francisrossi
10-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Nanoc throwing sand in Smiley's eyes and Smiley punching blindly is Bloodsport. I think he then finishes off with Kickboxer.

francisrossi
10-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I guess its not really a game reference but at the begining of nanoc comics when you kill the guy star says remind me not to get on your bad side, mr. cheney, a refrence to former US vice president, dick cheney who accidently killed one of his friends while hunting.

Cheney didn't kill him, although he did shoot him in the face, giving him a heart attack and a collapsed lung.

mattcrossUNC
10-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Jurassic Park reference when you first encounter the dinosaur things in nanoc....

Star says, "Dinosaurs? We can thank John Hammond for this!"

John Hammond was the name of the businessman who started the island in Jurassic Park.

metallicorphan
10-29-2010, 11:12 AM
we have one of these threads on Xbox.com,so i will put down the ones i put down on there

Spoilers****************

at the end when Captain Smiley is fighting the end bad guy(you know who),he picks him up by his arm and his leg and swings him around and lets him go,firing him off into a billboard,which is what Superman did to General Zod in the Street Fight of Superman II

also at the end of an earlier level in space 'something he has always wanted to do' was to fly in space and up to the camera,but he gets interrupted...the style of flying he was doing(or was about to attempt) was what you always saw Christopher Reeve do at the end of each Superman film,flying in space(with the backdrop of the Earth)before acknowledging the camera and smiling and then flying off

SpiralGamerpro
10-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Star says "Did you know in space, no one can hear you scream?"

XCinX
11-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious Ghostbusters' reference. In the final level, when you-know-who "pops" up, the entire dialogue between Star and Smiley is a nod towards Ray and Peter's conversation at the climax of Ghostbusters.

metallicorphan
11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious Ghostbusters' reference. In the final level, when you-know-who "pops" up, the entire dialogue between Star and Smiley is a nod towards Ray and Peter's conversation at the climax of Ghostbusters.

as in what SonOfSpengler posted above?:p

XCinX
11-08-2010, 04:31 AM
as in what SonOfSpengler posted above?:p

Okay. So I am officially a moron. My apologies.

SpiralGamerpro
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
In Cutie Cutie Kid Cupids, if your health drops below 50%, Gerda says,"50% POWER! CAPTAIN NEEDS FOOD BADLY!"

tygloalex
12-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Brad says, "This aggression will not stand, man." Big Lebowski reference.

CaptainMurphy77
01-13-2011, 05:08 AM
After the last mission, when talking to Brad, he says to leave him alone because he's writing in his "gerrnal" (instead of journal). This was a line from Paul Rudd's character in "Wet Hot American Summer". Hilarious movie, if you haven't seen it.

Frankyg88
04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Armageddon movie: on the second (i think) silver age level with the jet packs, when you get swarmed by asteroids, star says: we need to send in the worlds best deep core driller, which is what is said in Armageddon. I lolled

McGoogles
04-02-2011, 11:01 PM
When Comic Jumper accidentally shot that barbarian guy, Star says, "Watch where you're shooting Mr. Cheney!" Or something along those lines. I know it's not a movie/game/music reference, but it's still pretty funny.

I'm loving this game so far.

ian333333
04-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Armageddon movie: on the second (i think) silver age level with the jet packs, when you get swarmed by asteroids, star says: we need to send in the worlds best deep core driller, which is what is said in Armageddon. I lolled

i thought everyone else had missed that one

also in that level stars:

"stars log, star date: dont know... we are fighting these weird creepy puppet things again an its really pissing me off.... space sucks... star out"

and

"stars log, star date 7 9er fighting more robots and now areoplane thingys, space still sucks... wish brad was here... my crew mate is being a space duche... need to **** him off! star out"

are star trek references

klaww
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Before either the second or third Silver Age comic, Smiley says something about going to the past at 88 mph, and star is confused, then smiley explains '88 miles, you know, how fast time travel is'
very obvious nod to back to the future.

VladimirK
04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
After the fight with the Dinosaur the crystal is almost identical to one of the ones from Crash Bandicoot.

http://www.crashmania.net/images/others/otcrystal.png

Noticed a few others but can't really remember them now.

P1TTMAN
04-04-2011, 10:45 PM
When Comic Jumper accidentally shot that barbarian guy, Star says, "Watch where you're shooting Mr. Cheney!" Or something along those lines. I know it's not a movie/game/music reference, but it's still pretty funny.

I'm loving this game so far.

So I guess it's still too early for, "Hey! Leave Pat Tillman alone!"

C00KIE D0E
04-07-2011, 12:15 AM
The banner during the t-rex fight. Same banner from jurrasic park.

EngineerTheDead
04-08-2011, 11:13 PM
The (obvious) Megaman style "bloop bloop bloop" deaths and South Park "I learned something today" ones were my favourites.

Although the "I learned something" one may be from something before South Park, I'm not sure.

Oh, and the 'Splosion Man Meat Boss self-reference is also awesome.

Cptalbertwesker
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
When you speak to Winklemeyer towards the end he says that he's not going to listen to Emmet and just buy some plutonium from the Libyans.

Back to the Future reference if you didnt hear that one.

Virtual Crisis
04-12-2011, 06:22 PM

There was another one from Armageddon in the same level.
"This is just the beginning part of space we haven't even got to outer space yet"

BillyTallent
04-16-2011, 05:55 AM
I just used a Help Me while trying to get the He Ain't Even Married achievement and Capt. Smiley says "Sweep the Leg Frank!" just like in Karate Kid. Sweep the leg Johnny!

Baki54
06-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Did anyone notice the Gears of War 2 chainsaw duel animation?It happens on Nanoc 287 when Captain Smiley fights Puttmaster.They even have the reving saw sounds going.

There seems to be a Mortal Kombat referance as well during the fight.Im pretty sure I heard a "Toasty!" during Caddys firebomb attack.

Trombonafide
07-05-2011, 06:02 PM
In the Final Level, there's a few bilboards. One in particular is Smiley in camouflage and a rain hood, labeled "Smiley Gear". Its an obvious Metal Gear Solid reference, in particular Metal Gear Solid 2. Its the outfit that Snake is wearing in the beginning sequence on the boat.