PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Reference?

Genetic Carnage
10-24-2010, 03:22 AM
I just about crapped my pants laughing at the intro for Chapter 3: The Salt Factory. It's ripped straight from The Adventures of Lolo. I thought I was the only one who ever played that game! :bow:

UnkleT0uchy
10-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Teh troll face :3 :p

nemesiscw
10-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Dramatic Gopher sound whenever you pick a stage:
YouTube - Dramatic Look

JotaroRaido
10-24-2010, 03:50 AM
There's a level in World 4 called Wiebe. The dark version of it is called Billy Boy. The level itself looks like the first stage of Donkey Kong. I chuckled for a good minute when I realized what was going on here. :)

There are all sorts of weird obscure references in the stage titles.

Genetic Carnage
10-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Stage 2 - where it shows MeatBoy and his girl, and Dr. Fetus pauses, then punches her out, then it scrolls up to the sky. Street Fighter 2 all the way!

YouTube - Super Meat Boy "Street Fighter" theme

MoldyClay87
10-24-2010, 06:40 AM
A few of my favorites are:
- The Pokemon Red/Blue intro redone in World 6's intro
- The Castlevania intro redone in World 2's intro
- The Troll Face and Bubble Bobble intro references in Teh Internets/Butcher Boy.

I also like the subtle level name in one of the worlds.

The one level in the Light World is called Wiebe and I am almost positive the Dark world version is Billy Boy.

Pretty positive this is a reference to Steve Wiebe and Billy Mitchell, who are rivals in fighting over the highest score in Donkey Kong, and the main subjects of the documentary "King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters".

EDIT:

Oh, and CARTRIDGE DUMP.

The name and design/title screen are a reference to the terrible E.T. video game.

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/E.T._The_Extraterrestrial_2600_ScreenShot1.jpg

Apparently a bunch of the unsold cartridges were dumped into some desert or something. Hence "Cartridge Dump". Such a good reference. Game also had retarded jumps if you fell into a pit.

S q u e e t l e
10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
The intro to "The Rapture" chapter = Megaman 2?

RMassah
10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
OMG!

This game gets more and more awesome by the minute!!!

Really, for this game, I'd gladly pay some extra $$$ for DLCs!!

pantyhamster
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
When you pick the keys up that noise is straight outta Gauntlet.

russian box
10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
damn it most of these went over my head. keep these coming!

i liked it the bit where he one punch's bandage girl out.

Stevolutionary
10-26-2010, 01:03 AM
I particularly like the NES Castlevania intro to world 2, and the Weibe/Billy Boy naming for the Donkey Kong levels (ala the King of King film)

My favourite though has to be the Bubble Bobble intro, to the "Cave of Teh Internets!"

--:RobboDaFunko:--
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM
****************SPOILERS****************

Did anyone get a distinct Goonies vibe during the cutscene near the end when Brownie saves the day, swiftly followed by what felt like a Fight Club reference when Meatboy&Bandage Girl look over everything collapsing........Amazing..

Derrick DS
10-29-2010, 01:25 AM
I noticed no one mentioned the World 4 cutscene - am I the only one reminded of the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES?

YouTube - ninja gaiden nintendo nes introduction

pacokorn77
10-29-2010, 03:51 AM
I noticed no one mentioned the World 4 cutscene - am I the only one reminded of the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES?

Now that you mention it, yes. I hadn't realized it until now. Thank you, sir. +1

NemesisTheory
10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
World 2's Castlevania and World 5's Mega Man 2 reference.

I also laughed at the "Double rainbow all da way!" achievement description from Commander Video.

Bebe Buell
10-29-2010, 07:59 PM
When you unlock the "The Commander" cheevo the text say "double rainbow all da way" xD It's kind of a cultural reference, isn't it?

CammyDragon
10-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Gotta love that Ninja Gaiden intro.

damaged_prawdukt
11-02-2010, 06:10 AM
****************SPOILERS****************

Did anyone get a distinct Goonies vibe during the cutscene near the end when Brownie saves the day, swiftly followed by what felt like a Fight Club reference when Meatboy&Bandage Girl look over everything collapsing........Amazing..

It was definitely a nod to fight club.

SpaceAndy7
11-07-2010, 01:24 AM
The Lolo reference.

I was expecting all the references to be to super famous games, which just made that one all the more awesome.

pandaliamcod6
11-07-2010, 01:26 AM
damn i want this game

Rebmob
11-23-2010, 01:20 AM
There's a level in World 4 called Wiebe. The dark version of it is called Billy Boy. The level itself looks like the first stage of Donkey Kong. I chuckled for a good minute when I realized what was going on here. :)

There are all sorts of weird obscure references in the stage titles.

Loved the Donkey Kong / Steve / Billy references...

Sgt Scyther
11-23-2010, 06:48 AM
I loved all the intros. I especially loved the Donkey Kong level and how it was modeled after the 25m stage from Donkey Kong.

A lot of level names actually contain references, I believe. Some that come to mind, besides Wiebe, Billy Boy, and Cartridge Dump, are "Oobs Revenge" which contain those red enemies that chomp you. The enemies are clearly inspired by the Boos from Mario and their name is even Boo spelled backwards.

The negative zones, World -1, is a clever reference to the popular World -1 glitch from Super Mario Bros. The start screen of each Warp Zone level, where Meat Boys lives and score are displayed, is taken right from Super Mario Bros. Even the way you defeat Dr. Fetus, destroying the bridge, is a parody of how you kill Bowser in SMB.

Cordovainc74
12-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I believe the opening to Cotton Alley was a reference to Ghosts n Goblins.

YouTube - Ghosts 'n Goblins NES intro

o TheRuined o
12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
The select character screen (red curtains) is from Super Mario Bros. 2. Wish I had a larger background for the older games to notice more of these the first time around.