PDA

View Full Version : What Is With ALL The Censorship?

HydroJuggalo
10-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Lets talk, as a starting point, on the controversial "Medal Of Honor."
So as I see it, if I can find hundreds of people to agree with me that something is wrong and have every one of those people write letters to the company about it than they will change it?
How about, Ummm....no Scott.
I have a problem with the fact that they decided to move the title of "Al-Quaida" out of online multiplayer. Not because I'm a terrorist or because I think that they're the good guys, but by removing such a thing not only have you stifled an artists creativity, but you have also just stifled the constitutional right to freedom of speech.
Now, I understand what people are saying about, "Well, My husband/wife/son/daughter fought and died for this country and they're the ones who killed him/her. Well, understand that, while I have respect for each and every person who is willing to risk they're life to keep this country free (as much as "free" in the United States can really mean anymore) I do not agree with stopping the use of the freedoms that these people are fighting for.
So, it's not okay when we can play as the bad guys AND the good guys, but it's perfectly fine as long as we're the good guys? Again, my simple answer to these idiotic and ignorant statements are FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
If someone wants to make the most graphic, crude, and ludicrous game ever made are you going to stop them? Maybe not, but some overprotective mother out there who's pissed off that some store sold her kid the game is going to raise hell.
And this raises another subject. Where is the parental responsibility? First and foremost, how did your kid get the 60$ to buy a game? How did he get to the store? When he went straight to his room to play when he got home did you stop and ask him what he was up to? Hell no you didnt! Because you were too busy working/drinking/smoking and being an even more part of the worthless parenthood in our society.
The rating system for games is designed for families. It's designed so that parents can see what their kids are playing, so how about you use that system (IM TALKING TO YOU PARENTS) and see what your kids are really up to. Don't sit here and feed me the garbage about how you just don't have the time to see what they're doing because you've had such a long day in the office and you just wanna relax in a bubble bath. THEY ARE YOUR CHILDREN AND DESERVE PARENTS WHO CARE ENOUGH TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Jack Thompson is a failed example at this. If you are willing to send your 12 YEAR OLD SON into a Best Buy to buy an "M" rated game (that you know he shouldn't be able to buy) and bring it back to you in the car so that you can slap a lawsuit on Best Buy's desk and blame the gaming industry for not doing there job. Screw you. Not only have you used your son as a pawn for a political standpoint but you have also just entrapped a business. Good job dummy.
What I really wanted to say after all of this, is that video games are works of art. To put a rating system on a game is strictly for the parents. To tell someone they can't put that in a game because you don't want your kids playing it, is ignorant. This is a free country where I can buy bloody, gory games and type out rants and standpoints like I just have because I live here. If you don't like it, GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY. If you don't wanna hear the music, don't turn on the radio. If you hate the world, don't get up in the morning. Get it? Got it? Good.

Tufty
10-25-2010, 12:53 AM
The only people who are demanding censorship for games are the people who don't play video games. Which is why it pisses me off.

MrStabby1981
10-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Age ratings will never work anyway even if they slap a 50+ age rating on.

Eventually the heat will fall from video games just like Rock n Roll, Comic Books etc etc that came before.

REDEMPTIONDENIED
10-25-2010, 01:08 AM
The only people who are demanding censorship for games are the people who don't play video games. I think that sums up the entire controversy of censorship in video games. I think games would have much better stories if people didn't complain about the content. Just like when FOX News made a big deal about the sex scenes in Mass Effect. Those were plot points that helped enrich the the game's campaign.

bones213
10-25-2010, 01:42 AM
It's all politics.....Someone threw a fit over the name Taliban being in MOH and EA yanked it out.....if I recall it was a british politician.....not sure....it's stupid....these people look for a reason to complain and cry, moan and groan to the media until they get their way

REDEMPTIONDENIED
10-25-2010, 02:00 AM
(as much as "free" in the United States can really mean anymore) Just picked up on that, lol.

HydroJuggalo
10-25-2010, 04:33 AM
It's just discouraging to me as a student about to start in his first year of Game Design at Fullsail University to see such things happening. Knowing full and well that if I make something "controversial" than I'm going to be bombarded with letters and complaints (and occasionally even subpoenas) to remove either my game in its entirety or the sections of the game people find "controversial".

Poida
10-25-2010, 05:09 AM
The only people who are demanding censorship for games are the people who don't play video games. Which is why it pisses me off. Exactly, censoring them is just fucking ridiculous.
Theres ratings for a reason.

bones213
10-25-2010, 06:33 AM
There are so many people trying to get games like GTA and all the war games banned but they don't get that it's just a damn game meant to be fun thats M Rated....some people want their 15 minutes of fame.....let me make a game.....I'll make a War Game showing you what really happens in War since I've been over there.....be glad I'm not in the game making business

Skillz4Killz
10-25-2010, 08:40 AM
It's all politics.....Someone threw a fit over the name Taliban being in MOH and EA yanked it out.....if I recall it was a british politician.....not sure....it's stupid....these people look for a reason to complain and cry, moan and groan to the media until they get their way

It was the Secretary of Defence.

Langeboy
10-25-2010, 08:42 AM
I agree with everything you had to say 110%. The funny part is though, with MoH, although EA buckled under the pressure to change the 'Taliban' name, it caused publicity. This caused more sales. So although the name is changed, people interested enough to read forums and the news know what the name was supposed to be and understand the game. All anyone's actually done by kicking up a stink, is inflame the amount of sales on this game because everyone wants to see what all the fuss is about.
Who really won then?
This is the new 'problem' of this generation. If it's not rock music, it's rap music. If it's not movies or what's on TV, it's what we're playing. Obviously there is the stance of saying, 'it's interactive', what you do and how you go about doing it is up to you. People like Jack Thompson are just about the money, they don't really care about the community and helping others. It's all lining for their pockets. To believe that gaming is related to crime is ridiculous, you could relate anything to anything if you really had the time and effort.
Unfortunately, on my side of the world, this PC bullsh*t has started with the Australian R18 classifications. Hopefully NZ doesn't follow like sheep as they always do.

mosin360
10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Game sucks anyway and will never be heard from again after this year.

sledge
10-25-2010, 06:51 PM
It's the people who never touched a game in their life that complain about it. You can see far worse stuff in movies, yet they never complain about them. Bunch of hypocrites.

duff28
10-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I aggree, the government are pricks. Btw paragraphs

Elit3 m0nkey
10-25-2010, 09:05 PM
It will only get worse if the Supreme Court sides with California for the Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association. It will allow other states and countries to pass laws regarding violence in video games as they can use that case as evidence.

Mean while every other form of entertainment will have free pass on what sort of content they provide (minus sexual content).

Meaning this is all BS

Spoony Bard
10-26-2010, 02:33 AM
There are places in the world where if kids weren't inside playing simulated violence, they could very well be outside committing real violence.

I'm not saying video games are the solution to street gangs, just trying to point out that there are much bigger issues worth our time.

ginge88isfun
10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
The only people who are demanding censorship for games are the people who don't play video games. Which is why it pisses me off.

Does the name Jack Thompson come to mind?

Shiryoyami
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Exactly, censoring them is just fucking ridiculous.
Theres ratings for a reason.

Completely agreed.
I don't get what the point of complaining about a game is when the rating exist for the damn reason of warning people about the content.

If a game is rated for 'Sexual Content' you should've expected... Sexual. Content. The same applies for any other rating.
As for the Taliban sort of conflict... I liked the way Infinity Ward handled similar problems, with No Russian, just slap a warning on it rather than gut that level. Isn't that what they're for? So people who deem it inappropriate won't be offended by it?