PDA

View Full Version : "Don't Stop Believin'" I think I will Stop

RexDarr
10-25-2010, 05:20 AM
PLEASE REMAIN SEATED FOR THE ENTIRE PREFORMANCE

It seems that within the last few years Journey has had a massive comeback. Every time I turn on the radio I hear "Don't Stop Believin'", every time I went to band practice last year someone would get on the piano and within the first 8 notes there was already a group singing the lyrics.
Don't get me wrong, Journey is an amazing band, very talented. I actually had a few of their CDs for a number of years (ended up selling them cuz of this).
I logged onto Facebook earlier today and noticed that one of my friends uploaded a cover of this song but instead of the normal band it was 4 bassoonist's. I posted " Methinks this song is over-played. Soon kids will be learning this on their recorders in grade 4, if it isnt happening already" and within 10 minutes I recieved 4 likes. Its 11:05pm on a sunday!
I think this song has been played WAYY more than enough. I respect Journey and the addition of their newest singer and all that, but seriously: Give it a rest!
Is it because what ever Glee does we do? Is Glee the new leader of the North American race? Why do we rely on television shows and celebrities to tell us about the latest fashion that will go out of style within the year? Or what we should listen to because Justin Beiber is doing a rap album and in WAY over his head? (I know I'm alone when I say he needs to be shot dead).

:rant: That's my little rant for the evening, thank you for listening :rant:

PS: I just proved my point with JB:
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/demotivational-posters-acting-the-part.jpg

Starstrukk X360A
10-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Glee is overrated and all they do is take songs that already exist and butcher them. They have no creative talent.

I guarantee Rocky Horror will suddenly be the talk of the town after that episode airs.

Don't Stop Believin' has always been really popular though. Glee really didn't do anything regarding it.

megamoviejohn
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Well Journey rules and Don't Stop Believing is one of the best songs ever and Glee's version isn't bad, I kind of enjoy it as a cover song. But yes, it gets way overplayed and isn't even one of my favorite journey songs to listen to anymore because if it. Though, this can be said about all popular songs at some point.

KFZ Scrubs
10-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Well Journey rules and Don't Stop Believing is one of the best songs ever and Glee's version isn't bad, I kind of enjoy it as a cover song. But yes, it gets way overplayed and isn't even one of my favorite journey songs to listen to anymore because if it. Though, this can be said about all popular songs at some point.
I agree on this.... and i'm not going to lie... i like some of glee's songs. I like this and their cover of it's my life.... i thought it was pretty darn good. I don't watch glee (as i see it's kind of boring and not in my taste) but lot's of people like it... so it's w/e to me.

RexDarr
10-25-2010, 11:30 PM
MOST songs are like a vase, its beautiful when its noticed but if played with too much it breaks.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
10-29-2010, 11:30 PM
It was probably one of my favourite songs until Glee came along and made it so well known to everyone in the world.

I wouldn't say it was unheard of or anything but it was mainly known by people of certain ages or people that watched The Sopranos in general lol.

I knew of it through The Sopranos and loved it due to loving Sops but now it's not so great, I blame the shameful show that is Glee ;)

Crippleskittle
10-30-2010, 01:01 AM
I agree. Don't Stop Believin' is is no doubt an over played song, but I think that there's a few songs from Journey that are better.
Still, it's a good song neverhteless, but overplayed.

XxBlueSpade2xX
11-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Glee is overrated and all they do is take songs that already exist and butcher them. They have no creative talent.

I guarantee Rocky Horror will suddenly be the talk of the town after that episode airs.

Don't Stop Believin' has always been really popular though. Glee really didn't do anything regarding it.

This, this, this.

I used to like Journey. My freshman year of college ruined that.

I used to go see Rocky Horror once a month at midnight in Houston. Now, it's going to suck balls.

Glee rode the High School Musical wave. It's not good at all, in terms of television. People just think it's endearing or "so original". Argh.

RexDarr
11-04-2010, 02:59 AM
I spoke to one of my friends who plays in a metal band in Eastern Canada and he agree's that the general public likes repetition and ideas that leech off from some other idea (i.e: Glee leeched off of HSM). No one likes original stuff anymore because it scares them to think differently than the public.
The small population who does enjoy the different and non-radioplayed music seems to produce better sounding music and more original ideas, the general public is just too afraid of these "new ideas" and tend to heed towards the same stuff they've been listening to forever because it brings them comfort, the comfort to know that they are not different and will not be ignored by their brain-washed friends.
Sorry if I offended any of you.