PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Noise?

Twilight Slayer
10-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Every once and awhile, when I fire up my Box it makes a weird clicking noise and refuses to read the disk... Any ideas what might be wrong with it?

Phil the Bear
10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe your disc drive is on its way out? Check your discs to make sure that none of them are getting grooves etched into them.

My old xbox started making noises when reading a disc just like that. It just got louder and louder till it sounded a bit like a grinding sound. Microsoft said they would need to replace the drive for around 90 - so I just bought a new machine.

Don't want to be a downer, but can't think of anything else!

Corrupt.
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, sounds like your xbox is on the way out. You might as well run it in to the ground and then upgrade...

duff28
10-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Yeah it will go soon, same thing happened to my old xbox

Necrosis102
10-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Definitely sounds like a disc drive problem. What console are you using, a Slim or an old Xbox? I had a broken disc drive once (it wouldn't close) so I opened it up (the warranty had ran out a week before, so it wasn't covered -_-) I managed to fix the drive but then got RROD a day later. I think that Xbox actually WANTED to stop working :/

Microsoft usually charge for disc-drive related errors, so you can either send it to them and get it fixed, or sell it and buy a new console (you'd have to rely on it working while the store was checking it for problems, though)

I would also like to take the opportunity to post this:

YouTube - Potter Puppet Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise

WogMatt26
10-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Happens to me sometimes,
solution:
Disc tray in
Disc try out
Place disc in
Disc tray in
disc tray out
Repeat till the disc reads.
Happens ever couple of months for me.

stucazedmacca
10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Got sick of my falcon doing it, so traded it in for a slim at gamestation.

hodge
10-26-2010, 10:21 AM
My elite has started doing this. I'm just going to see how long it will last and then I might upgrade to a slim

DokMMz
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I usually have a monthly visit from "Mr Click"

The only things that help it for me is putting in either a DVD or a CD and tapping the console on the top a few times - about 5 mins later it works again.