PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD Player and the New Xbox Dashboard....

Epsilon 616
10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Has anyone heard anything relating to the HD-DVD Player and the New update? It should STILL be compatible, but the last NXE update has caused hand-shaking issues with Paramount/Dreamworks HD-DVDs.

So alot of great blockbuster movies are stuck on my shelf (Mainly, Transformers) due to the picture dropping in and out during playback. While, I know the format is no longer supported, I would like to use my HD-DVD player to at least up-convert my DVDs.

I'm definitely going to put my Box through a gauntlet of tests to find out if anything has changed in play back and compatibility when the update drops.

Also alittle side note, Using the new Xbox.com set up, While I' am playing an HD-DVD Movie, It says I'm in an XNA Game sporting the words "XNA Game - Watching an HD DVD movie".

Pootcrum
10-26-2010, 08:49 AM
I dont think they would remove support for it, it only takes a USB connection right?

On that note, if they did, I believe you can use them with a PC without troubles.

Epsilon 616
10-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Yes, its a USB device and works fine with my PC. However, the PC has similar issues as there are NO players that naturally support HD-DVD format and Power DVD has discontinued use of the Format. So I have to purchase a HD Compatible version of Power DVD 6 or 7 (Which are several years old and hard to find). Some versions will play certain HD-DVDs fine, while others titles suffer playback issues.

Right Now I have a copy of Power DVD 7 that plays any 1080p source, but 480p resolution extras don't playback right.

There is a similar issue with my Blu Ray Drive on my PC as Windows does not support the playback of Blu Ray. Only several players (Like Power DVD) support playback codecs for Blu Ray. Its another reason to hate Sony.

As I have said before, The last Major NXE update has caused handshaking issues in HD-DVD playback with ALL Paramount/Dreamworks HD-DVDs already. I'm just worried that this next update will make HD-DVDs unplayable altogether or cause problems in some on the Titles I already own.

Pootcrum
10-26-2010, 11:13 AM
It seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't happen. I would have figured that it is merely drivers to make the drive work, and that they would download if a drive was connected, like the iPod support.

Epsilon 616
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah. I know it is completely weird.

I've been testing my HD-DVD Collection as soon as the update hit and Microsoft has fixed the handshaking issue that occured with the HDMI (At least in Transformers). Its a relief. I have suffered a year of horrible playback.

The HD-DVD Community has been waiting for this update. I guess there was enough feedback from them to get this fixed.

I'm sure to voice any issues if they come up. But I think my Drive is back in business.

Aeikozz
11-07-2010, 07:50 AM
since the new update i can't even load my hd-dvd player.

StillTIPPIN187
11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
lol hddvds. Buy a ps3 and use it for blu rays.. and like the couple good exclusives it has

Viper187
11-07-2010, 02:20 PM
You know. It's bad enough that nobody makes PC optical drives that can read HD-DVDs anymore, but for everyone to disable support for no reason!? Something is fowl here. Can Sony have that much influence over this shit? Everyobdy has to drop HD support if they want BD licencing? What is it!? There's no reason that PC optical drives shouldv'e dropped the simple ability to read HD-DVD discs. CDRWs and DVD-RAM still work, and nobody really uses those anymore. LG drives started out with reading both formats, but not anymore. WHY?

djswivel
11-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Mine's working fine, no issues at all. Even tried Transformers after reading the OP and it work ok. Maybe it's just an issue with your drive?

Aeikozz
11-11-2010, 04:40 AM
that could be possible. but the odd thing is it shows up in the memory section of the settings.

emul8ter25
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Might be time to give up the ghost on HD-DVD.

Rip your disks to a nice streaming friendly file format (i like mkv for my home setup) and be done with it.

ChromiumDragon
11-11-2010, 04:41 PM
You know. It's bad enough that nobody makes PC optical drives that can read HD-DVDs anymore, but for everyone to disable support for no reason!? Something is fowl here. Can Sony have that much influence over this shit? Everyobdy has to drop HD support if they want BD licencing? What is it!? There's no reason that PC optical drives shouldv'e dropped the simple ability to read HD-DVD discs. CDRWs and DVD-RAM still work, and nobody really uses those anymore. LG drives started out with reading both formats, but not anymore. WHY?

This isn't some kind of global conspiracy or anything. HD-DVD is officially a dead format. It wasn't even around for very long and didn't have a hell of a lot of popularity even when it was around, as people were waiting until there was a clear winner of the format war before deciding to go with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

You can't expect them to continue supporting a dead format forever. Whether or not new hardware, firmware, software updates, or whatever is compatible with an officially dead format that only a sliver of a sliver of the population even uses to begin with is probably not even on their priority list.

And for what it's worth, I've never known anyone who used DVD-RAM, but I know plenty of people who still use CDRW (for some reason).