PDA

View Full Version : enslaved: odyssey to the west review

coloneilfrost
10-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Enslaved is a good, fun game this is my review telling you things about it. first things first .gameplay. The gameplay is very good, there are over 14 chapters. all of them are very fun, tho it did take me a bit to beat most of them. there are also tech orbs you can find and upgrade your things,these things are, health sheild and staff,they are in every chapter except chapter 1 i believe. also i did encounter a few bugs sometimes trip wont move and it did show her falling and not landing, which made me restart to last checkpoint :(. you also got to use trip to help you most of the time, and you have to save her from a rhino and a dog to, and dont expect alot of bosses. .combat. the combat isnt bad . .story. the story is very good i aint gonna say anything about it, dont want to spoil anything. .atmosphere. the atmosphere is very good, levels 2 thru 6 are the best tho, and really green. overall this game is worth a rent or a buy if you have extra money 8.5 for me. when i first saw the game i thought it was gonna be stupid but i was wrong same with metro 2033 that is a good game to :D. next ill be doing fable 3, sims 3, and star wars 2

shinobigarth
11-08-2010, 05:17 AM
only 14 chapters, not over 14. for me this game is a 7/10. some bad things about it:

--UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!!! (this is totally unforgivable in this day and age) i know you can skip some, but only about 20%

--not only are they unskippable, there is a cutscene every 5 damn seconds. i dont need to see a cutscene every time i flip a lever, i just want to play the game, ok? it feels like they tried to artificially extend the length of the game by adding in hundreds of cutscenes, which = fail. also, its like the developers think gamers are stupid and they have to be told what to do next via the camera panning over the course. im a big boy, i can figure it out on my own thank you

--load times are ridiculously long especially considering there isnt much to load and the graphics arent anything special

--the checkpoint system is complete CRAP. whoever designed it needs to be taken outside and shot

--noticed several glitches such as characters not doing what they are supposed to, like one time Pigsy would start walking in a random direction instead of where he was supposed to go, or Trip would stand around when she should be following you

--i hate Monkey's Cloud with a passion. its so hard to control that it makes those 2 chase sections a complete pain

so this game definitely has its flaws, but overall its not horrendous.

MASS DOMINATION
11-09-2010, 03:05 AM
only 14 chapters, not over 14. for me this game is a 7/10. some bad things about it:

--UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!!! (this is totally unforgivable in this day and age) i know you can skip some, but only about 20%

--not only are they unskippable, there is a cutscene every 5 damn seconds. i dont need to see a cutscene every time i flip a lever, i just want to play the game, ok? it feels like they tried to artificially extend the length of the game by adding in hundreds of cutscenes, which = fail. also, its like the developers think gamers are stupid and they have to be told what to do next via the camera panning over the course. im a big boy, i can figure it out on my own thank you

--load times are ridiculously long especially considering there isnt much to load and the graphics arent anything special

--the checkpoint system is complete CRAP. whoever designed it needs to be taken outside and shot

--noticed several glitches such as characters not doing what they are supposed to, like one time Pigsy would start walking in a random direction instead of where he was supposed to go, or Trip would stand around when she should be following you

--i hate Monkey's Cloud with a passion. its so hard to control that it makes those 2 chase sections a complete pain

so this game definitely has its flaws, but overall its not horrendous.

WOW! im not saying ur opinion is bad but everyone of of your points i disagree with

- every cut-scene at the beginning and end of the levels are skip-able. only some of the small, minor ones aren't skip-able. even then, the game has some of the best voice acting and detailed faces on the 360, so i was never bothered if i couldn't skip a scene.

- load times were also not a problem for me. i downloaded the game to the HD which always helps and there aren't many load screens in the first place. i believe there is only 1 or 2 a chapter; which is definitely fine since the graphics ARE very well done.

-i found the checkpoint system to be fine. i never had a problem with it. then again i died less then 10 times over 2 playthroughs

- never had one glitch through my entire 2 play-through's, plus many chapter selects for orb hunting. maybe i was just lucky.

-monkey's cloud was one of my favourite parts of the game. it gave the game a nice pace and break from the standard action and platforming. i loved the speed, jumping and how u could turn on a dime. i just hated finding orbs during those section and i wish u could use it more often besides just on water.

im not saying your wrong but all of your negatives weren't a problem with me. my personal score is an 8/10

and to the OP, good review but next time try using paragraphs, comma's and maybe even capitals if ur going to be doing your own 'official reviews for the games u play. im not saying they need to be used for everything but if u want ur reviews to be taken more seriously it would help make them look more professional and better looking overall.:)

shinobigarth
11-09-2010, 03:31 AM
i know some were skippable but they put way too many really. i liked watching them the first time, but once ive seen it and am on my 2nd playthrough, i just want to play, not watch 6000 cutscenes.

and do you really think there needs to be a cutscene every time you flip a lever, even though you know perfectly well what will happen when you do? i dont. its like they made the game for idiots that have no prior experience with platformers.

as far as checkpoints i was referring to manually reloading a checkpoint, such as when trying to go for the ridiculous 36 second chase thing with the dog and the rhino and how if you miss you either have to die somehow or reload the checkpoint. only it takes you back a ways before that.

BrassBallz
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Not that this game is poorly produced but it's like a conglomeration of Prince of Persia (platforming & partner) & Wolverine (hack/slash/skills/upgrades) but with Goku from Dragonball Z as the main character. LOL. Plus the camera is not the best (being kind) and the controls are twitchy. I've played alot of these type of games and they start to get stale.

zapp_8rannigan
11-09-2010, 07:49 PM
i thought the cloud was awesome, kinda reminded me of jak & daxter 2 on the ps2, my only real complaint are the collectables (which belong in a sandbox game and nothing else, like how time trials should only be in a racing game etc) and the fact that your biggest enemy in fight sequences is the FUCKING camera, the rest of the game....i liked

LouTenit Dan
11-09-2010, 07:59 PM
So my question is .......Is it worth buying off amazon for $25.. I'm leaning towards yes, even though I have tons of other games to play thanks to Cag I now have a back log.

zapp_8rannigan
11-09-2010, 09:22 PM
yes!....in a market so over populated by shooters its nice when something different comes along

pandaliamcod6
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I would write my own review but i 100% agree with you sir colonel:woop:http://www.psu.com/media/enslaved-PS3/enslaved-PS3-ss-1.jpg

XperimntNterror
11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
WOW! im not saying ur opinion is bad but everyone of of your points i disagree with

- every cut-scene at the beginning and end of the levels are skip-able. only some of the small, minor ones aren't skip-able. even then, the game has some of the best voice acting and detailed faces on the 360, so i was never bothered if i couldn't skip a scene.

- load times were also not a problem for me. i downloaded the game to the HD which always helps and there aren't many load screens in the first place. i believe there is only 1 or 2 a chapter; which is definitely fine since the graphics ARE very well done.

-i found the checkpoint system to be fine. i never had a problem with it. then again i did less then 10 times over 2 playthroughs

- never had one glitch through my entire 2 play-through's, plus many chapter selects for orb hunting. maybe i was just lucky.

-monkey's cloud was one of my favourite parts of the game. it gave the game a nice pace and break from the standard action and platforming. i loved the speed, jumping and how u could turn on a dime. i just hated finding orbs during those section and i wish u could use it more often besides just on water.

im not saying your wrong but all of your negatives weren't a problem with me. my personal score is an 8/10

and to the OP, good review but next time try using paragraphs, comma's and maybe even capitals if ur going to be doing your own 'official reviews for the games u play. im not saying they need to be used for everything but if u want ur reviews to be taken more seriously it would help make them look more professional and better looking overall.:)

The load times are a little too lengthy. It wasn't really a problem for me while I was playing through the story the first time, but now that I'm trying to collect the orbs/masks that I missed through Chapter Select, it is a bit annoying, but not completely unbearable.

Graphics are nice for the most part (not exactly mind blowing), but the facial animations are truly astounding and the lip-synching to the VO is top-notch (as is the VO itself). Often times, Trip would almost seem alive.

The checkpoint system, well, blows. I found myself replaying almost an entire chapter to collect one mask, for instance. Since the game does not auto-save when you pick up these collectibles and since you can't manually save after doing so, you're forced to continue playing the level until you reach a check-point and, often, that requires playing a good chunk of the level again. Would've been nice if they implemented a save feature that would auto-save when you exit it to the Main Menu, a la Borderlands, or just have given the option to manually save on the fly.

Other than a few AI pathing issues where the NPCs had to "think" about where to go next and some texture pop-in, the only bug that annoys me is the getting hung on the environment issue when walking around corners; just a little bit aggravating.

The cloud could've used some more work. I agree that controlling this thing is kind of irritating and definitely takes some getting used to to maintain proper handling. I do wish they had spent some more time tweaking that aspect, but at least it's not used too much throughout the game. Didn't hate it, but it was not my favorite feature during my playthrough.

Overall, I would agree that 8/10 is a fair score.

ebrooch7
11-30-2010, 08:30 PM
(which belong in a sandbox game and nothing else, like how time trials should only be in a racing game etc)

Hey, Mirror's Edge pulled off time trials pretty well.