PDA

View Full Version : Fan Mechanics

uliudo
10-26-2010, 03:24 AM
I just started this and am fine with the platforming and timing, but for some reason fans are a huge weakness for me, everytime there is a level with a fan in it I just can't quite do it reliably. Does anyone have any tips on how the fans work?
Speed of approach, direction, buttons to press, how high to enter the flow, etc.

Look at 2-14 for an example of a map I have trouble doing reliably.

digitalink
10-26-2010, 03:59 AM
For fans the key to proper lift is to start as close to the blades as possible and stay centered above it until you reach max height.

The further from the blades, the less force it has to push you.

If its a vertical fan and you didn't get the height you needed and are now hovering above the blades move away from the fan so you start to fall and then move back under it for a push. Timing is important because if you don't fall enough you wont get much of a push. Fall to long and you will get chopped on the fan blades.

For fans that are aimed on angles, again you want to get as close to the blades as possible and jump in the direction the fan is blowing.

With practice you will get better at it.

prizeless
10-26-2010, 05:30 AM
I actually asked this question to team meat on twitter and their advice was the closer you are to the blades when you start the jump the higher you'll go. Although in practice I noticed this advice kind of sucks because it feels random hehe. I managed to A+ all of the fan levels while still having all the problems you had so you should be able to get it if you keep at it. Just takes some luck I guess.

misfit119
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Frankly I find that the fan mechanics become a whole less frustrating once you reach the energy ball things in The Rapture level. Those are some seriously aggravating things to deal with. But if you're having problems with them simply wait until you somehow manage to unlock The Kid and use him as his double jump really lets him power through petty little things like gravity.

uliudo
10-31-2010, 01:53 AM
I actually asked this question to team meat on twitter and their advice was the closer you are to the blades when you start the jump the higher you'll go. Although in practice I noticed this advice kind of sucks because it feels random hehe. I managed to A+ all of the fan levels while still having all the problems you had so you should be able to get it if you keep at it. Just takes some luck I guess.

Exactly. I know it isn't random and I understand starting low and staying in the middle raises you higher. I can do the levels too, and it isn't even individual fans that are an issue, its fan chains where you are approaching in air and stuff where I get screwed up and it feels random.
I guess I just have to either get better or just ignore that feeling of helplessness/undeserved victory and just be happy that I completed the level.