PDA

View Full Version : Arcania Borders on Trash

TheSecondLetter
10-26-2010, 04:20 AM
This is the biggest letdown of 2010 for me. For those of you still wondering if you should buy this game, let me advise you to save your money for Fable 3 or Two Worlds 2.

Arcania is at best, unfinished and broken. From quest killing glitches - to enemies that can magically teleport to your flank - to spotty and unresponsive controls - to the horrible framerate, this game is not worth Arcade prices, let alone $60.

If you are like me and are bent on buying this game, at least wait until some patches get announced or the DLC gets confirmed to fix the issues the game has.

Such a disappointment.

Sidenote/Question - Why do European RPG developers swear by level caps? That is my biggest beef with this genre. Leveling is basically scripted since grinding is limited to number of monsters and the parts of the world that are open to you based on the story... You basically level as the story progresses. Which means you don't really level at all since the monsters get stronger in every area.

I also don't get why they are in love with giving you more skills than you can actually develop. Do they have something against jacks of all trades?

II OE II
10-26-2010, 05:57 AM
I personally am really enjoying this game.. Ill admit, i have a beef with some of the things of the game, but every game has something wrong with it. Hell, i really enjoyed Two Worlds and Risen as well.

I can deal with the "bad" graphics and low frame rate because it makes me feel like im playing a nice old adventure game on the PC. Flanking enemies, well it's happened to me a few times really bad but whatever.

Well, if you would like to rant about level caps, try talking about WoW (yes, i have played it) and ALL the extra stuff to kill and missed levels that could have been gotten. Fallout 3 had TONS of stuff to do even after reaching level 30. Back on topic though, i do enjoy the fact that monsters increase in power as you progress through the story, seems like a more realistic adventure game in my opinion. Heroes may become epic and powerful, but there are still beings more powerful than them.

As far as having more skills than you can develop... I think its a really good idea personally. No one person can be the absolute best at everything and gives you a choice of what you want to excel at. But as far as being a jack of all trades character, you can.. Ever heard the phrase "jack of all trades... master of none..." before?

Regarding DLC, however, i doubt there will be any for this game. I wouldn't mind seeing some for a reasonable price mind you.

TheSecondLetter
10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I loved Risen and Two Worlds. But this game has some serious problems. In the case of "jack of all trades - master of none" That wouldn't apply here simply because the skill set is so small. 3 Magics, Archery and Melee... That's it. Hell, I mastered two of those in real life. lol

But I guess you answered my question. There are clearly people out there who prefer that approach, so that's why European devs make them that way. I wish they'd take the Japanese approach to leveling and customization just once. Two Worlds got that right.

Graphics don't bother me if they aren't pretty. But the sputtering framerate hurts my eyes and gives me headaches.

Qonok
10-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I enjoy this game. Makes me think of those old dungeon crawlers back in the day that were so good. It is a fun game.
Framerate issues? I must be used to this on the 360 and don't even notice anymore. So many games have these issues on the 360, I just move on.
Off the top of my head, Red Dead and Mass Effect were two I can think of having these framerate issues, also.
My only beef with it is actually the collectables. The reward you get for them is not the best in the game and you will get them too late to use them for more than a few if you would desire to. If they hadn't attached achievements to them then I wouldn't have done them.

TheSecondLetter
10-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah. For all my bellyaching, I still managed to enjoy the game a bit. I think what made it hard for me was that I was expecting this to be my RPG of the Year. Especially after how much I loved playing Risen. My expectations it would seem were a bit to high.

TheSecondLetter
10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
I started a second playthru last night after finishing my Gothic run. I turned the difficulty way down. It is MUCH more enjoyable on the easier modes. Gothic mode was long and tedious. I think that's what made the flaws in this game stand out to me more than similar flaws in games like Risen and Two Worlds.

Technically, I still would say the game is a mess, but at least there is some funfactor involved.

Blud
11-04-2010, 02:12 PM
This game has flaws, but I still find it enjoyable. I recently finished Two Worlds, which I found enjoyable but was really frustrated by the terrible framerate. I think Arcania is a better game.

It'll be interesting to compare this to Two Worlds 2.

gerowniko
11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
So how is the full game compared to the demo?
I noticed some bugs, glitches and other technical issues in the demo, but nevertheless I enjoyed the experience.

I can't say I enjoyed the demo of Two Worlds, so I haven't bought that game. I do think about buying ArcaniA. If I liked the demo, will I like the full game?

TheSecondLetter
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Two Worlds is extremely hard on the eyes with the Framerate. Even worse than Arcania, so in that regard everyone posting saying Arcania is better is right. Arcania's frame rate stutters, but not nearly as bad as TW.

My liking TW better is more based on the style of the game. there are no level caps, no limits to exploration (for the most part) and no limits to how you can customize your character. So as far as which one is a better game really boils down to your tastes and how you like to play. I prefer more control than most EuroRPGs give me.

As far as the Arcania Demo vs the full game, it's hard to evaluate. When I played the demo I was really excited. But that was because I played it on an easier setting and the limited amount of playtime you get doesn't allow you to fully take in the game's flaws. Especially since some of them don't happen until you are past the half-way point in the game.

When I made this thread, I wasn't really being fair or objective. Also, some of my rants were not based on facts as proven by the "Point of no Return" issue. I was frustrated with the game because Gothic mode puts a magnifying glass on all the game's flaws. Mostly because Gothic mode is LONG due the way you are forced to fight to survive. Playing the game for that long and being exposed to the flaws built in made it harder to enjoy.

When I did my easy run-thru, I enjoyed it much more. I didn't have to spend 5 minutes running in a circle and getting in shots when I could in fights. And the sometimes slow to respond controls didn't cost my precious HP because I could take more hits and be a bit more aggressive in my fighting.

Recommending an Arcania Purchase depends on the answers to these questions:

Are you cool with level caps?
Are you cool with customization limits based on limited XP due to the level cap?
Are you cool with limited exploration?
Are you cool with potential Game Breaking Glitches? (I encountered one)
Are you cool with Glitched Quests?
Are you cool with only getting 950/1000 Achievement points due to a serious glitch?

If you can get passed those things and typically enjoy games of this genre, then I say go for it. In hindsight, I'm not angry about my purchase. I still was able to get a good amount of enjoyment out of the game even though the answer to several of those questions above is a "no" for me.

gerowniko
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
(...)
As far as the Arcania Demo vs the full game, it's hard to evaluate. When I played the demo I was really excited. But that was because I played it on an easier setting and the limited amount of playtime you get doesn't allow you to fully take in the game's flaws. Especially since some of them don't happen until you are past the half-way point in the game.
(...)
Recommending an Arcania Purchase depends on the answers to these questions:

Are you cool with level caps?
Are you cool with customization limits based on limited XP due to the level cap?
Are you cool with limited exploration?
Are you cool with potential Game Breaking Glitches? (I encountered one)
Are you cool with Glitched Quests?
Are you cool with only getting 950/1000 Achievement points due to a serious glitch?
(...)

1. What is the level cap? I'm fine with it as long as you can still customize your character quite a lot (skills/spells etc.) and aren't on maxed level like at the half of your playthrough.
2. Same as answer #1
3. Depends, in the demo the map looked pretty big. Approximately how limited is it? A game of this genre needs to have a lot of exploration possibilities because I guess the strength of this game isn't it's story/character development, but in it's typical RPG elements.
4. How is the save system? Can you reload a previous save to avoid such glitches or do you have to replay the entire game?
5. Obviously not, but if they aren't frequent and there are a lot of quests it may become less bad.
6. Yes, I don't care about achievements any longer. Of course it's nice when you actually complete a game but I think I'm over my achievement completion percentage obsession. :) And besides, I'm guessing that achievement will be fixed once I decide to pick this game up.

If I decide to buy this, I will probably buy it for about €20.
Thank you for the detailed post. :)

TheSecondLetter
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
1. What is the level cap? I'm fine with it as long as you can still customize your character quite a lot (skills/spells etc.) and aren't on maxed level like at the half of your playthrough.
2. Same as answer #1
3. Depends, in the demo the map looked pretty big. Approximately how limited is it? A game of this genre needs to have a lot of exploration possibilities because I guess the strength of this game isn't it's story/character development, but in it's typical RPG elements.
4. How is the save system? Can you reload a previous save to avoid such glitches or do you have to replay the entire game?
5. Obviously not, but if they aren't frequent and there are a lot of quests it may become less bad.
6. Yes, I don't care about achievements any longer. Of course it's nice when you actually complete a game but I think I'm over my achievement completion percentage obsession. :) And besides, I'm guessing that achievement will be fixed once I decide to pick this game up.

If I decide to buy this, I will probably buy it for about 20.
Thank you for the detailed post. :)

1. 2. The Level cap is 30 - this boils down to 90 Stat Points. Basically, you can max out all of the skills associated with melee (Discipline, Mettle, Vigor) and still have roughly 20+ points to put into magic or archery. Doing so means your magic/archery will basically suck, tho. And vice versa if you choose the other categories.

3. The map is large, but the game is broken down into small sections of it for the different "chapters." Basically, you need to assume that you will be able to explore an 8th of the map at a time because you will be restricted from the newer areas until the story lets you get there.

4. Save system is good. Save often, it saved me from having too much heartache over the gamebreaking glitch. The glitch was that I killed the evil Orc Leader in the Orc cave before I killed his 2 minions. Just in case you decide to get and play this, kill the minions first. Killing the leader first caused the game to freeze completely.

5. I encountered one glitched quest. In my second playthru, it didn't glitch, so it should not be a huge deal.

6. Cool. I wouldn't count on this glitch getting fixed though. The prospect of it from Jowood's website does not look good.

Hope this helps you make your decision my friend.

gerowniko
11-07-2010, 06:47 AM
1. 2. The Level cap is 30 - this boils down to 90 Stat Points. Basically, you can max out all of the skills associated with melee (Discipline, Mettle, Vigor) and still have roughly 20+ points to put into magic or archery. Doing so means your magic/archery will basically suck, tho. And vice versa if you choose the other categories.

3. The map is large, but the game is broken down into small sections of it for the different "chapters." Basically, you need to assume that you will be able to explore an 8th of the map at a time because you will be restricted from the newer areas until the story lets you get there.

4. Save system is good. Save often, it saved me from having too much heartache over the gamebreaking glitch. The glitch was that I killed the evil Orc Leader in the Orc cave before I killed his 2 minions. Just in case you decide to get and play this, kill the minions first. Killing the leader first caused the game to freeze completely.

5. I encountered one glitched quest. In my second playthru, it didn't glitch, so it should not be a huge deal.

6. Cool. I wouldn't count on this glitch getting fixed though. The prospect of it from Jowood's website does not look good.

Hope this helps you make your decision my friend.

Ok, thanks for your answer. I am especially happy to hear the save system is good. :) In the demo you were not able to save progress so when I died at the very end, I had to replay the entire demo.
I think I will buy this, eventually. :)
I hope they will fix the glitched achievement at some point for you guys. I know how frustrating it can be if you only need one achievement more to complete the game, but that achievement is impossible to obtain (FIFA 09).

qSasukep
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
have you ever played divinity II? well this game has alittle better frame rate(doesnt hurt my eyes) and the hardest difficult is like divinitys easiest, its an over all fun game, but not worth $60, i agree on that one, its a renter 100% sure, the collectibles suck tho, gonna have to play it thu 2x now

AV GMR HOSS
11-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see the framerate problems I'm playing on a Hd Mitsubishi DLP tv and a 360s console and it plays smoothly and looks beautiful. And I have played the whole game fully and encountered no glitches.