PDA

View Full Version : Someone please answer this

itsbulmer
10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I have a synth that has a midi usb cable with it

can i use it as a controller instead of dropping 80 dollars for the RB3 Keyboard?

[Waggly Bean]
10-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I really really really doubt it.

That'd be like being able to use any generic USB gamepad with the 360 because it attaches in the same way.

TwistedFate
10-26-2010, 07:51 PM
You can once the MIDI adapter comes out.

preppypoof
10-26-2010, 07:59 PM
;3664436']I really really really doubt it.

That'd be like being able to use any generic USB gamepad with the 360 because it attaches in the same way.
how about doing some research before answering? as TwistedFate already said, yes, you can use any keyboard with a midi output in the game - but only when you buy the midi adapter ($40).

[Waggly Bean]
10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
how about doing some research before answering?

How about you stop being an ass?

I figured you wouldn't be able to, as is the usual case with these sorts of things. Companies generally are in it purely to make money, and don't normally allow cross-compatibility. But I suppose if you have to buy a special adapter, then this is how they are making the money from it.

Either way, I didn't actually ever insist that the OP couldn't do it, I merely gave an opinion that I would assume you couldn't do it.

Forgive me for not knowing everything there is to know about Rock Band 3. :rolleyes:

ColdSpider72
10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
;3664997'] Forgive me for not knowing everything there is to know about Rock Band 3. :rolleyes:

He isn't coming down on you for not knowing everything about Rock Band 3. He is merely pointing out that there is no need to answer a question if you don't actually know the answer. Why waste time speculating if it isn't going to give the OP any closure on the matter?

preppypoof
10-27-2010, 04:56 PM
He isn't coming down on you for not knowing everything about Rock Band 3. He is merely pointing out that there is no need to answer a question if you don't actually know the answer. Why waste time speculating if it isn't going to give the OP any closure on the matter?
sorry for being an ass. but yes, as Shaun72 said, I was miffed that you speculated *incorrectly* about something that really wouldn't be that hard to look up.

[Waggly Bean]
10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Why waste time speculating if it isn't going to give the OP any closure on the matter?
OK while I can understand where you're coming from, to speculate isn't actually doing anything wrong (strangely enough).

Forums specifically are probably 90% speculation - they're there for discussion after all. If someone wants to 'waste their time' speculating, what harm does it do to others? Why should others get all pissy about it?

All I'm saying is this: I made an assumption, I posted it as a thought not as fact, and it turned out to be wrong. So I was wrong - I'm sure this didn't hurt or offend the OP, so why 'waste time' calling me out on it?

sorry for being an ass. but yes, as Shaun72 said, I was miffed that you speculated *incorrectly* about something that really wouldn't be that hard to look up.
It's no big deal at the end of the day. Sure I suppose in hind-sight I could of researched it, but as I mentioned previously I made the assumption that it wouldn't be the case based on previous experiences and knowledge of cross-over use of peripherals. I guess you could say it was pretty much a throw-away comment - I certainly didn't think it would spawn this, or I wouldn't have bothered to post! :p

Anyway, the topic has been fully answered already and has now been taken well off-topic, so let's not bump this thread any further. I'm sure the RB3 fans don't want to see this constantly jumping to the top of the forum! :)

If anyone desperately wants to further slag me off about this, I guess you should probably take it to my visitor wall! :rolleyes:

twistedsymphony
10-27-2010, 06:25 PM
They announced the MIDI controller around the same time as all the new instruments:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/rb3_midi.jpg

it's my understanding that you can use any MIDI capable device with it, not just keyboards but MIDI drums and MIDI guitars for drum and guitar parts too.

TwistedFate
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
it's my understanding that you can use any MIDI capable device with it, not just keyboards but MIDI drums and MIDI guitars for drum and guitar parts too.

Drums and Keyboards only. Not guitars.

That isn't to say someone won't eventually make a generic adapter to slip between your MIDI guitar and this MIDI box, but for right now you can only use MIDI drums, MIDI keyboards, and the Squier guitar. But before we get the inevitable "WAAAAHH! They just want our money" comment from the peanut gallery. It's a tech issue, not a money issue. If it was a money issue, we wouldn't be able to use keyboards and drums either.