PDA

View Full Version : Who's brilliant idea was this?

Itsbrown4606
10-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Who's brilliant idea was it to turn Band Quickplay into "Choose howevermany songs you want and play them all in one giant setlist" instead of the "take turns picking songs" approach?

2 out of 3 times I went online, all the other players immediately started shoveling songs into the setlist to the tune of about 10-15 songs. I've just gotten through going from Local Hit to Hall of Famer (in, like, four hours time, lol) and I now have to deal with online being a chore.

Harmonix, you were doing so good... I was almost crying when I first started playing (I wish I was kidding...). Why'd you have to break Band Quickplay?

NathAttack
10-27-2010, 01:04 AM
As much as I REALLY love this game, I agree with this point.

Thankfully, the few randoms I ran into exercised common courtesy, and obviously my girlfriend/other friends whom I used to play with on RB2 are very respectful as well. Haven't ran into that 12-year-old who jams the setlist with Beast and the Harlot x10 yet, but I know it will happen.

The round robin system was FAR superior, though.

AntDogs
10-27-2010, 01:45 AM
As much as I REALLY love this game, I agree with this point.

Thankfully, the few randoms I ran into exercised common courtesy, and obviously my girlfriend/other friends whom I used to play with on RB2 are very respectful as well. Haven't ran into that 12-year-old who jams the setlist with Beast and the Harlot x10 yet, but I know it will happen.

The round robin system was FAR superior, though.

yeah i played with a few guys and they didnt go crazy and pick like 15 songs

SebastianSB
10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
I've long since given up on playing music games with randoms. The music game community is total shit. When they're not spamming the hardest songs in the game they're kicking people for not having enough DLC or not playing on expert...or they're quitting games because they can't bear the thought of losing a single online match.

RealistIdealist
10-27-2010, 05:16 AM
I've long since given up on playing music games with randoms. The music game community is total shit. When they're not spamming the hardest songs in the game they're kicking people for not having enough DLC or not playing on expert...or they're quitting games because they can't bear the thought of losing a single online match.

I can understand the DLC bit because I have like 200+ songs but it's disheartening to log on and only be able to play one game's songs (such as playing RB2 I can only play RB2 songs). I wish they matched up people with lots of DLC to other people instead of giving us some people with zero.

I agree with everything else. I don't like it when people choose red ratings all the time (esp. boring for me since I'm usually vocalist). I still play with randoms sometimes, though. Though I likely won't be playing online as much since everyone else will be music cramming for playlists. I've also had people who are worse and are either guitar-hogs (only choose the guitar, never play bass and leave when they can't play bass while I'm ok with switching back and forth) or expect you to get gold stars on every song.

duelingk
10-27-2010, 06:43 AM
The ONE time I tried to go online they shoveled a ton of songs in. Beast and the Harlot was the first song, but I am VERY rusty with expert guitar. Thankfully there was just a drummer and a keyboard so I dont have to worry about being bass. So we play the first song with no hitches but I was sucking. Didnt fail and wasnt kick or cussed out about it. So the group I was in had some courtesy, but the second we get to other players choices and mine the leader starts skipping songs. Im like ok, maybe he just wants to get to a challenging song. But then he skips 3 other songs one being the DOA DLC song (challenging) I picked. So I just leave.

This new format is HORRIBLE. I hate it.

RealistIdealist
10-27-2010, 08:20 AM
I just played with some people and they seemed to be okay about it. We each chose one song and then hit the setlist. The second (and last so far) group I got we each chose one but someone managed to sneak in a fifth then we started.

Moogourou
10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I may have missed it, but I don't see any competitive mode anywhere. Is it possible to play against another player (or more) with same instrument and same difficulty, like it was in the previous games ?

PurpleSkwid
10-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I may have missed it, but I don't see any competitive mode anywhere. Is it possible to play against another player (or more) with same instrument and same difficulty, like it was in the previous games ?
Apparently not, which is a shame :(

neverendr
10-27-2010, 04:39 PM
The one thing I prefer about guitar hero is the fact that you can have multiples of the same instrument. I have no problem at all taking turns on bass every other song, but it seems that almost everyone will play either guitar or drums every time, or quit after swearing at me for a few minutes. I wish there was a way to filter your search and tag yourself as "I'll take turns" or "I won't play anything but guitar", or "expert players only, you'd better gold star every song or I'll scream at you!".

It'd also be great if it matched people with similar dlc, I can understand it not being exact, but if my library is 1200 songs and the 3 other players have 1200 songs there's guaranteed to be some overlap. And please, for crying out loud, patch song selection back to round robin...if I see one guy load his setlist of beast and the harlot x 5 and every other devil icon song, often multiple times on each, I think I'm going to scream.

The Nerevarine
10-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I can understand the DLC bit because I have like 200+ songs but it's disheartening to log on and only be able to play one game's songs (such as playing RB2 I can only play RB2 songs). I wish they matched up people with lots of DLC to other people instead of giving us some people with zero.
It's even worse now, you can't sort by "location" like in RB2 without complicated sorting procedures, so if you have 350 DLC like I do, it takes forever to scroll through the list.

Worse, it seems to reload these 250 songs every time the setlist loads. What a crock of shit. I can't figure out how to kick people (used to kick people with no DLC and want to continue doing so), quitting out seems to be a 4 step process instead of simply "Start" then "Quit," and no one plays the Road Challenges at all. Wonderful. And the playlist... try this on, when someone fills the playlist with crap, simply press "B" to remove the songs! How stupid is that? This game is going to get "griefed" hardcore.

If you ask me, they made the game worse, despite all the improvements. All I wanted from RB3 was the ability to get matched up with people who have DLC and Pro Drums. I didn't get the DLC playlist and the second I won't have until December when the MIDI Adapter is released. Bullshit game... grumble grumble.

RealistIdealist
10-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Worse, it seems to reload these 250 songs every time the setlist loads. What a crock of shit. I can't figure out how to kick people (used to kick people with no DLC and want to continue doing so), quitting out seems to be a 4 step process instead of simply "Start" then "Quit," and no one plays the Road Challenges at all. Wonderful. And the playlist... try this on, when someone fills the playlist with crap, simply press "B" to remove the songs! How stupid is that? This game is going to get "griefed" hardcore.

I can't even figure out how to leave the party sometimes, once when I left I took the whole party with me and couldn't figure out how to get them out. Second, they should have done a style like "everybody gets one" and nobody can remove someone else's songs. I thought the ability to play the same song multiple times was weird but okay, but online it's super unnecessary.

The controls are weird and foreign to me. I was like "okay how do I start the playlist" and someone was just screaming at me "YOU HOLD THE A BUTTON DUMBASS!". Seriously the game had only been out one day and holding a button would be one of the last things I'd try to do.

SFAL
10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Maybe it's an unwritten rule that music games have to have suboptimal multiplayer? I mean, aside from playing with anyone you don't know personally, and maybe not even then. That's one way to look at it maybe. I dunno.

dalton32389
10-28-2010, 05:36 PM
played my first quickplay with strangers. never again. i sat there watching them add song after song for like 5 minutes until i just added the same song 10 time in a row, then was kicked. worth it.

Furious M1
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Yup, I don't even bother with online music games for pretty much all of the reasons listed here. I really appreciate the group of friends I have for playing this game. Everyone takes turns playing different instruments and we all get to pick songs and keep the setlist reasonable.

I totally agree with the poster who is pissed with the sorting scheme - I miss RB2 for that.

MuscularTea
10-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Yea I had the same thing last night, wish there was something different about it.
Also supposedly I can't hold down my drum pedal to speed search... wtf.. I have to scroll through completely manually.

LemmingOnTheRun
10-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I agree with much of this. I do appreciate the fact that there are no online achievements though. I don't have live, I'm poor, and I always feel jipped missing out on the online achievements.

RealistIdealist
10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
I haven't yet come across people who add tons of songs or the same song yet but I have come across people who drop out because I don't have "no fail mode" turned on or just people who don't play at all (which is why i turned no fail mode off).

Yesterday I had a good experience with a full band of people. We each chose two songs and waited until I had to tell the host he had to hold A. We played pretty well and GS'd a few of them. Next round we did the same thing. We must've played for an hour before the host left. I appreciate the courtesy of them patiently choosing and playing.

Zacry072
11-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah the online community is generally shit. I started playing with randoms just to see if I could get the million point achievement out of the way and it took a while just to find people that were actually competent enough to play a song on easy or who even stuck with playing the song through. Glad I eventually got it, though.

BrandAid1138
11-04-2010, 06:46 PM
the whole on-line community being shit should apply across all of the gaming genres. I do agree with the missteps you guys have referenced here with RB3, but online with most games are a mess. it's fun when you have considerate and respectful people. That is the case maybe 10% of the time though, it's mostly a bunch of douchebags that have some "video game skills" to prove. I play video games to have fun and not to prove anything to anyone.

NativeMilk
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
The worst is when the person in charge of starting the game deletes other peoples' choices. Wankers.

RB2's days of simple brilliance are over now I guess. Sigh. I'm genuinely bummed about that.